Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I think it's more the fact that it associates sexual assault with homosexuality. As I posted earlier, George Michael got similar criticism when he only came out after his arrest for lewd behavior. If public figures only ever came out when they are involved in such incidents then it would hardly be a positive thing for the gay community, hence the reaction. Seen yesterday it was referred to as 'hiding under the rainbow'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Season 6 was always the last season. I find it a bit sinister from netflix that they are using this recent allegation to renounce this, as if it was a moral decision.

There was a big debate whether season 6 was even going to happen at all, and that was only in September! That had nothing to do with Kevin Spacey.

Once Trump got elected it was game over. No way of outdoing (or even matching) his antics in a fictional drama without it seeming ridiculous and far-fetched. (That said, HOCs went downhill sharply after series 2 IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Hamlet. wrote: »
    There's a desire to be seen as a victim and a need for attention which is why so many gay stars are more concerned with his 'coming out' than the actual incident. An opportunity to appear outraged.

In fairness, lot's of homophobic people in the past have justified their attitudes by inferring being gay is linked with paedophilia, grooming, etc. Kevin Spacey has given them plenty of fuel for the fire by his timing, that's why people are understandably pi**ed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It would be bad enough if a 26 year old established actor was, drunkenly or not, hitting on and propositioning a 14 year old.
    That's something Spacey didn't bother to even deny. Rapp claims he made a physical pass at him in a bedroom during an after party and managed to squirm out of his hold and left the apartment.

If it was an isolated incident he could well say he was pissed drunk and for all he knew he would have probably chatted up and humped a lamp post given the state he was in, never mind a 14 year old kid. His PR people could have suggested that to diffuse/deflect from his predatory behavior. They could have said Spacey even got so drunk once that he got into a heated argument with a tree once upon a time. I'm sure anyone would remember trying to get it on with anyone. It's completely disingenuous to say you can't recall that.

Yet Spacey knows his own 'handsy' reputation precedes itself in his own actor circles, not general society, so he didn't even deny it didn't happen and it speaks volumes. Perhaps it's because he's tried similar with other's and his failure to recollect is actually true to that extent which makes it all the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Season 6 was always the last season. I find it a bit sinister from netflix that they are using this recent allegation to renounce this, as if it was a moral decision.

There was a big debate whether season 6 was even going to happen at all, and that was only in September! That had nothing to do with Kevin Spacey.

Just like Spacey coming out to deflect from the abuse claims, Netflix have cynically released this information to deflect too, so they can be seen to be "doing something", even though they were doing that thing already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,429 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maybe there was rumblings back then about a story coming out

I wonder will Netflix sill go ahead with Spacey's Gore Vidal biopic now

Given how Spacey worded his reply apology statement makes me think there is some truth in Rapp's accusation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Hollywood seem to have fallen down of giving a Safe Spacey to a lot of people .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

So Anthony rapp, a gay man, goes to a gay party then cries foul 21 years later cause a gay man cracked onto him?

**** him. He could only dream of having the career spacey has had

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Asus X540L wrote: »
    So Anthony rapp, a gay man, goes to a gay party then cries foul 21 years later cause a gay man cracked onto him?

Rapp was 14 years old at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It's great that people are speaking out about this kind of thing but McGowan is only speaking out now because others did, she seemed quite happy to sign another NDA and take some cash but now she's positioned herself as some warrior who broke this story. What she is doing is no different to what Corey Feldman is trying to do, she saw a way to make her relevant again and she jumped at it. Fair play to her, it's just a shame that this change may end up going nowhere as the figure heads are McGowan and Feldman.

McGowan was interviewed in 2011 and in it she spoke about working on an upcoming Victor Salve film Rosewood Lane. It's funny how back then she isn't speaking out for victims and has no problem working with another Weinstein.

You’re starring in the upcoming thriller Rosewood Lane, which was written and directed by Powder’s Victor Salva, whose films often reflect his gay sensibility and outsider mentality. Is that the case with Rosewood Lane?
    I don’t think so. And I do not have good clothes in that film either; I had to wear office-lady clothes and it killed me. That was an interesting dynamic, because Victor had never done a movie with a female lead, and he was uncomfortable. He really doesn’t relate to women well. He was open about that, which was slightly jarring, because I don’t really know what to do with that information.

Well, Salva is a convicted and registered sex offender, which might account for some social awkwardness.
    Yeah, I still don’t really understand the whole story or history there, and I’d rather not, because it’s not really my business. But he’s an incredibly sweet and gentle man, lovely to his crew, and a very hard worker.

McGowan and Feldman were both allegedly abused and you have a go at them for their timing? For not coming foreword sooner? For trying to get on with their lives with the cards they were dealt? Many people are emotionally and mentally broken after these events, Your post is exactly why people are slow to speak up about abuse.... It sounds like you are portioning blame on the victim for not being “strong” enough to expose their abusers... It’s not easy for people to do that and even that they leave themselves exposed even further which is why nobody spoke up for so long.

In all fairness to Feldman he did do any interview in 2011 about this. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/feldman-corey-pedophilia-celebrity-hollywood-14277801

I watched an interesting interview with him where he stated that he was only on drugs for a year or two. The way he is painted by the media is that he is a weirdo druggie since his teens. It reinforces my view that people don’t realize how much their views and opinions on people can be be easily manipulated to discredit victims....

For all the “well Hollywood defended Polanski” , it’s not like viewers of Oscars or cinema goers gave a F**k either. ... Its also amusing that actors are now getting grief for finally coming forward as if the people complaining about it have some sort of moral high ground on which to judge..... This sort of cover up of abuse and victim blaming is a huge part of Irish culture. Sure we still haven’t learned how to discuss serious topics like grown adults....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

a gay party?

anna080 wrote: »
    I don't think that's very fair. What's a 14 year old kid to do at the time this happened?

That's true but I'm struggling to see something malevolent in a 26-year-old Spacey drunkenly coming on to a guy he'd spent the evening partying with in a night club and that he found in HIS bed after a party.
    Rapp said that for years he did not tell anyone about his experience. It wasn’t until Spacey’s career began to rise in the 1990s and 2000s that Rapp became angrier and more frustrated at the memory, saying his “stomach churns” when he sees Spacey now. “I still to this day can’t wrap my head around so many aspects of it. It’s just deeply confusing to me,” Rapp said.
    Rapp also said that, as a queer man himself, he had found Spacey’s firm stance on his own private life deeply frustrating: “I wanted to scream to the rooftops, ‘This guy is a fraud!’”
    So is Rapp angry and frustrated about what happened or about the fact that Spacey tried to keep his homosexuality a secret when he (Rapp) knew better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Drumpot wrote: »
    McGowan and Feldman were both allegedly abused and you have a go at them for their timing? For not coming foreword sooner? For trying to get on with their lives with the cards they were dealt? Many people are emotionally and mentally broken after these events, Your post is exactly why people are slow to speak up about abuse.... It sounds like you are portioning blame on the victim for not being “strong” enough to expose their abusers... It’s not easy for people to do that and even that they leave themselves exposed even further which is why nobody spoke up for so long.

In all fairness to Feldman he did do any interview in 2011 about this. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/feldman-corey-pedophilia-celebrity-hollywood-14277801

I watched an interesting interview with him where he stated that he was only on drugs for a year or two. The way he is painted by the media is that he is a weirdo druggie since his teens. It reinforces my view that people don’t realize how much their views and opinions on people can be be easily manipulated to discredit victims....

For all the “well Hollywood defended Polanski” , it’s not like viewers of Oscars or cinema goers gave a F**k either. ... Its also amusing that actors are now getting grief for finally coming forward as if the people complaining about it have some sort of moral high ground on which to judge..... This sort of cover up of abuse and victim blaming is a huge part of Irish culture. Sure we still haven’t learned how to discuss serious topics like grown adults....

Have you followed the McGowan story?

Here's a reminder. She was attacked in the 90s. Her silence was bought off with 100k. My own view is attacked women shouldn't put a price on their silence as it only encourages the perpetrator that they can get away with these things.

She then had 20 years to expose Weinstein, but chose not to. Oddly enough she only discovered recently there was nothing in the deal she struck with him about non disclosure. I find it hard to believe she only discovered this lately. So in other words she could have called him out years ago if she wanted.

In September this year, there were rumours that Weinstein was about to be exposed as a violent sexual predator. His people reached out to her to buy her silence again with an offer of 1 million. She said make it 6 million and its a deal. She was on the verge of signing it when the Farrow article was published. Now it was pointless for Weinstein to pay anyone as it was all out in the open. Only after the Farrow article and a pay off was no longer an option did McGowan open up.

Too little too late in my book from her. She could have put a stop to Weinstein years ago.

I feel sorry for her inevitably, but she has undermined her credibility with the latest revelations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Are people more pissed off that a gay man managed to make a career in Hollywood, something that doesn't happen to anyone who is out? It shouldn't matter if someone is gay, straight etc but unfortunately, in some cases, it does. Sexuality is a personal thing, no one owes it to the community to come out if they don't want to.

Not having a go at either, just not a fan of how both are using this to their advantage. Feldman has threatened to name names for over a decade and never done so but if he gets 10 million in donations he's going to make a film about the whole thing in which he names the people involved. Why not just name the people involved? What he and others went through is awful, amongst the worst thing that can happen to a person but his recent Indiegogo campaign feels like a cynical cash grab.

McGowan has painted herself as some leader but she never really spoke out till others did and it appears that she was prepared to sign another NDA in exchange for saying nothing until the Farrow story broke. I can understand why she did and can not imagine the suffering she had to endure but it's rather weird to hear her having a go at Spacey yesterday when only a few years ago she was working with and defending a convicted child abuser, who she called "an incredibly sweet and gentle man, lovely to his crew, and a very hard worker." The same man whose recent film has a subplot about a character being molested by their father. It was removed but review copies had a line in which one character tells another “Can you blame him though? I mean look at her,” the character says. “The heart wants what it wants, am I right?”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

optogirl wrote: »
    a gay party?

I'd imagine it was flaming.

And since when do you ask for ID at an adult gay party?

Anthony Rapp should be ashamed of himself coming out with this now.

He wasn't even sexually assaulted anyway just hit on by a man who probably had no idea of his age

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not having a go at either, just not a fan of how both are using this to their advantage. Feldman has threatened to name names for over a decade and never done so but if he gets 10 million in donations he's going to make a film about the whole thing in which he names the people involved. Why not just name the people involved? What he and others went through is awful, amongst the worst thing that can happen to a person but his recent Indiegogo campaign feels like a cynical cash grab.

McGowan has painted herself as some leader but she never really spoke out till others did and it appears that she was prepared to sign another NDA in exchange for saying nothing until the Farrow story broke. I can understand why she did and can not imagine the suffering she had to endure but it's rather weird to hear her having a go at Spacey yesterday when only a few years ago she was working with and defending a convicted child abuser, who she called "an incredibly sweet and gentle man, lovely to his crew, and a very hard worker." The same man whose recent film has a subplot about a character being molested by their father. It was removed but review copies had a line in which one character tells another “Can you blame him though? I mean look at her,” the character says. “The heart wants what it wants, am I right?”

You are “not having a go at either” and then have a go at them again?!

You are choosing to focus on the reactions on the victims. You speak from an ideal world scenario where you have Zero insight into these peoples lives of how they chose to deal With the. Abuse.. They want to be financially compensated for their troubles. In the absence of justice or wanting to go public who are you to question their motives?

It’s easy to philosophically write a post on what is subjectively right or wrong behavior for victims of abuse. Not every abuse victim reacts the same way and I don’t think it’s surprising that celebrity’s , who live in their own bubble, react in such an alien way to normal people...

I don’t condone McGowan taking money to lie about Weinstein.
    Perhaps she felt it was an extra payoff for the suffering or perhaps it’s a bonus in her mind given how Hollywood thinks this sort of sexual behavioir is acceptable. It’s an easy trap to fall into, focusing on the victims mistakes or misguided actions , that can derail discussions on the entire toxic culture that exists in that part of the world...

But at the end of the day they are victims of abuse... It is easy to imagine that the abuse and culture they grew up in would warp what they think is normal.
    Normalize the abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

optogirl wrote: »
    a gay party?

Apparently a cast party is a gay party now.

Actually to be fair, I've been to a good few cast parties over the years and it's not far off, but not in the way this guy meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

Have you followed the McGowan story?

Here's a reminder. She was attacked in the 90s. Her silence was bought off with 100k. My own view is attacked women shouldn't put a price on their silence as it only encourages the perpetrator that they can get away with these things.

She then had 20 years to expose Weinstein, but chose not to. Oddly enough she only discovered recently there was nothing in the deal she struck with him about non disclosure. I find it hard to believe she only discovered this lately. So in other words she could have called him out years ago if she wanted.

In September this year, there were rumours that Weinstein was about to be exposed as a violent sexual predator. His people reached out to her to buy her silence again with an offer of 1 million. She said make it 6 million and its a deal. She was on the verge of signing it when the Farrow article was published. Now it was pointless for Weinstein to pay anyone as it was all out in the open. Only after the Farrow article and a pay off was no longer an option did McGowan open up.

Too little too late in my book from her. She could have put a stop to Weinstein years ago.

I feel sorry for her inevitably, but she has undermined her credibility with the latest revelations.

did somebody post links here about the story to back this up? in all the posts might have missed it. can you point out the source for this? thanks.

You are choosing to focus on the reactions on the victims. You speak from an ideal world scenario where you have Zero insight into these peoples lives of how they chose to deal With the. Abuse.. They want to be financially compensated for their troubles. In the absence of justice or wanting to go public who are you to question their motives?

It’s easy to philosophically write a post on what is subjectively right or wrong behavior for victims of abuse. Not every abuse victim reacts the same way and I don’t think it’s surprising that celebrity’s , who live in their own bubble, react in such an alien way to normal people...

Perhaps she felt it was an extra payoff for the suffering or perhaps it’s a bonus in her mind given how Hollywood thinks this sort of sexual behavioir is acceptable. It’s an easy trap to fall into, focusing on the victims mistakes or misguided actions , that can derail discussions on the entire toxic culture that exists in that part of the world...

But at the end of the day they are victims of abuse... It is easy to imagine that the abuse and culture they grew up in would warp what they think is normal.
    Normalize the abnormal.

I don't think anyone thinks it is acceptable, and yes what happened McGowan and Feldman may have normalised the abnormal for them but that does not mean that Feldman trying to raise 10 million dollars before he names names is anything less than a cynical cash grab. In recent years Feldman has made a career out of talking about naming names, he's yet to name anyone and his Indiegogo campaign makes it look like he is cashing in now that abuse in Hollywood is trending.

McGowan was negotiating a price for her silence a month ago and I'm sure many would and have done the same but she is not the champion she and others are making her out to be. Would she even have spoken out had the story not broke? She isn't even really speaking out so much as tweeting at any celeb whose name is mentioned in any way related to Weinstein or abuse in Hollywood.

If they want to be financially compensated, why are they not bringing civil suits against their abusers? Why is Feldman trying to get random people to give him 10 million, maybe it makes sense to him but to many it looks like he saw an opportunity to profit and jumped at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

It seems that justice in Hollywood terms means more money. In fact the lawyers for the victims have criticised the lack of action ( monetary I presume) from the Weinstein company but not pushed for a criminal investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    You see that's the whole problem here, the story is about Spacey coming out when in reality it should be 100% about the fact he attempted to abuse a 14 year old boy.

Everyone else must be seeing different headlines to me. Pretty much everything I have read and the headlines to go with have talked about the assault and how risible it is that he has tried to deflect by coming out.

In fact, the very first article I read about it yesterday was in the New York Times and it mentioned NOTHING in its headline or the first two thirds of the article about him coming out. Nothing at all. The last paragraph then dealt with his official statement. The first facts I knew on the story were that an actor that I recognised from Dazed and Confused endured Spacey making a pass at him with he was only 14. The incident was then detailed. THEN his statement was quoted.

I know the name of the actor he made a pass at, the details of the assault, that he came out and that generally, people are not fooled. If I gleaned all this, I doubt I'm the only one. He seems to be taking as much heat as Weinstein did from where I'm sitting.

Him coming out is not detracting from the account of Anthony Rapp. If anything, I think it is making people take more notice of his story. I certainly did.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Everyone else must be seeing different headlines to me. Pretty much everything I have read and the headlines to go with have talked about the assault and how risible it is that he has tried to deflect by coming out.

In fact, the very first article I read about it yesterday was in the New York Times and it mentioned NOTHING in its headline or the first two thirds of the article about him coming out. Nothing at all. The last paragraph then dealt with his official statement. The first facts I knew on the story were that an actor that I recognised from Dazed and Confused endured Spacey making a pass at him with he was only 14. The incident was then detailed. THEN his statement was quoted.

I know the name of the actor he made a pass at, the details of the assault, that he came out and that generally, people are not fooled. If I gleaned all this, I doubt I'm the only one. He seems to be taking as much heat as Weinstein did from where I'm sitting.

Him coming out is not detracting from the account of Anthony Rapp. If anything, I think it is making people take more notice of his story. I certainly did.

I'd agree with that assessment, if anything there's widespread revulsion at how Spacey is trying to pettifog his assault on a young boy by making it about him, and his coming out, and his demons. Him, him, him.

I thought the actors reveal was very well articulated, very vivid, and painted Spacey in a light that no amount of PR spin is ever going to polish, and Spaceys subsequent statement only solidified the picture of a horrible human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Are people more pissed off that a gay man managed to make a career in Hollywood, something that doesn't happen to anyone who is out? It shouldn't matter if someone is gay, straight etc but unfortunately, in some cases, it does. Sexuality is a personal thing, no one owes it to the community to come out if they don't want to.
    Ian Mckellen seemed to have a fairly successful career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

tara73 wrote: »
    did somebody post links here about the story to back this up? in all the posts might have missed it. can you point out the source for this? thanks.

Here's one link.
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/10/29/rose-mcgowan-alleges-harvey-weinstein-tried-to-pay-her-1-million-in-hush-money.html

I read somewhere else about her being ready to accept payment but only changing her mind when she heard about the NYT article.

Her actions are questionable in my view. She was prepared to stay quiet when money was dangled on front of her. I'd applaud the courage of most Weinstein accusers but her I am not so sure. She had plenty of time to say something, but seemed to be holding out for a payoff.

Her actions are questionable in my view. She was prepared to stay quiet when money was dangled on front of her. I'd applaud the courage of most Weinstein accusers but her I am not so sure. She had plenty of time to say something, but seemed to be holding out for a payoff.

Or possibly she realised that with the weight of numbers of others who'd suffered similarly, that there was strength in numbers and she might be listened to if she spoke out at this point.

Previously she might understandably have decided that taking some money to make her life easier was better than nothing, and no justice.

Two sides to every story and since I'm not inside her head and privy to all she's had to deal with since that animal assaulted her, I'm not going to sit in judgement of her. Sure it looks bad, but it might be explicable in the context of a rape victim who felt that she had fewer choices than she does now.

I hope she finds peace as well as justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The original quote from Rose (regarding the so called 'hush money; offer) is taken from a recent interview she gave the New York Times:

In late September, just as multiple women were days away from going on the record with reports of Harvey Weinstein’s sexual misconduct, one of his alleged assault victims, Rose McGowan, considered an offer that suggested just how desperate the Hollywood producer had become.

Ms. McGowan, who was working on a memoir called “Brave,” had spoken privately over the years about a 1997 hotel room encounter with Mr. Weinstein and hinted at it publicly. Through her lawyer, she said, someone close to Mr. Weinstein offered her hush money: $1 million, in exchange for signing a nondisclosure agreement.

“I had all these people I’m paying telling me to take it so that I could fund my art,” Ms. McGowan said in an interview. She responded by asking for $6 million, part counteroffer, part slow torture of her former tormentor, she said. “I figured I could probably have gotten him up to three,” she said. “But I was like — ew, gross, you’re disgusting, I don’t want your money, that would make me feel disgusting.”

She said she told her lawyer to pull the offer within a day of The New York Times publishing an article that detailed decades of Mr. Weinstein’s alleged sexual harassment, aggression and misconduct toward women, as well as at least seven other settlements he had reached with accusers. After that, the dam burst, with The New Yorker, The Times and other news outlets reporting on dozens of other women’s experiences with Mr. Weinstein.

A Weinstein spokeswoman, Sallie Hofmeister, said that “Mr. Weinstein unequivocally denies any allegations of nonconsensual sex.” Ms. McGowan’s lawyer, Paul Coggins, confirmed that Ms. McGowan received the offer.

Her story of assault, although uniquely her own, shares some of the now familiar hallmarks of a Weinstein encounter. Ms. McGowan, then 23, was in Park City, Utah, in early 1997 to attend the Sundance Film Festival and the screening of a film in which she appeared, “Going All the Way.” She had also recently appeared as a smart-mouthed beauty who dies a gruesome death in the blockbuster film “Scream,” on which Mr. Weinstein was an executive producer.

Ms. McGowan’s manager then, Jill Messick, told her to meet Mr. Weinstein at the restaurant in the Stein Eriksen Lodge for a 10 a.m. appointment. On her arrival, the maître d’ directed the actress upstairs to Mr. Weinstein’s suite, she said. Ms. McGowan remembers passing two male assistants on the way in. “They wouldn’t look me in the eye,” she recalled.

She sat at the far end of a couch as Mr. Weinstein sat in a club chair, and they had a brief business meeting. But on their way out, she said, he interrupted himself to point out that the hotel room had a hot tub. “And then what happened, happened,” said Ms. McGowan, who has described her experience, on Twitter, as rape. “Suffice it to say a door opened and my life changed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'd imagine it was flaming.

And since when do you ask for ID at an adult gay party?

Anthony Rapp should be ashamed of himself coming out with this now.

He wasn't even sexually assaulted anyway just hit on by a man who probably had no idea of his age

Ah here.

Seriously he was 14 years of age. A young man should not have to endure a assault from a scrum bag like Spacey.

Edit he was not even a man. He was a child

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Normalize the abnormal.

Some may argue that accepting hush money from your abuser is playing a part in perpetuating the toxic culture which you speak of. That is what normalises the abnormal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ian Mckellen seemed to have a fairly successful career.

Being gay in British arts culture is not an issue. Hell, it's nearly encouraged! :pac: In Hollywood though it's like being gay in professional sport. Certainly no American A list male has come out while in the midst of their career as far as I know.

Advertisement