Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flat towing my classic

Options
  • 29-10-2017 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I bought an A-Frame to tow my Classic. (In an emergency of course)
    37965976851_73fa75b7e1_c.jpgDSC_0847 by quickrack, on Flickr

However.

I see the pin that will limit movement when the pull is on.
    And the chain that ratchet straps tight to hold it all together.
    But what prevents the towed car moving forward under braking?
    A quick test with the chain wrapped around the lower suspension arm showed that the thing wouldn't steer if I did that??
    Any users of one here got any good advise?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That pin should be in front of the mounting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I used an A-frame on a regular basis many years ago. While they are a very handy piece of kit, you need to be very aware of how things can easily go wrong while using one of these.

It sounds like you don't have it connected properly tbh. The chain goes over the lower wishbones, around and forward under each wishbone. The ratchet strap end attaches to the end of each chain and each ratchet is then tightened up (they need to be rechecked/re tightened after a mile or two.

When using one of these you are essentially towing an unbraked trailer. The towed car can and will push the towing vehicle forward, like any unbraked trailer can. It is also very easy to jack-knife on a bend using one of these, as the towed car will push the towed vehicle sideways via the tow hitch.

There are also insurance implications. These are designed to move a disabled vehicle to 'a place of safety ' - they are not meant for long-range transportation of vehicles (except under very limited conditions, towing weight implications, etc). I would strongly suggest you do some research via google (e.g. The UK motor caravan club website, etc) to learn more about A-Frames. Your insurance cover will not cover the use of one of these - unless you have motor trade/breakdown recovery insurance.

The Traffic Corps and RSA are also getting more aware of the use of these and often mount specific 'trailer check' roadside checkpoints (Sorry if I 'rained on your parade' but I wouldn't like to see anybody getting in bother by using one of these).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Alan_Ganley

That pin should be in front of the mounting point.

Pin in front of bottom arm.
    Chain over the back of the bottom arm to the strap and tensioned tight.
    Checked after a mile .
    Maybe again once in a while.
    Thanks.

Advertisement