Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools GAA

Options
  • 24-10-2017 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Lets say you have an important match coming up and one of your star players is injured but in theory could play, would you play them? I'm thinking that I shouldn't as I feel a duty of care to keep them avoid further exacerbating the injury.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Lets say you have an important match coming up and one of your star players is injured but in theory could play, would you play them? I'm thinking that I shouldn't as I feel a duty of care to keep them avoid further exacerbating the injury.

At primary school level.... not a chance should the child play if injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Thanks for the reply. Confirming what I am thinking. Dreading the chat tomorrow to them that they cannot play. They kid just won't understand where I'm coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Can you expound on the theory?

Can you expound on the theory?

Slight fracture on jaw line. Kid in school and playing soccer on yard. Another kid just happened to mention it to me in passing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Is he a man or a mouse?

Naggin of vodka, he be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Slight fracture on jaw line. Kid in school and playing soccer on yard. Another kid just happened to mention it to me in passing today.

So the parent didn't mention it to you??

You're just going on information received from another child that he has this injury?

If that is the case then I would be saying if he is well enough to play in the yard he is well enough to play in the match.
    Or to put another slant on it If someone cannot play a football match because of a slight fracture, then I wouldn't be allowing him play in the yard either.

So the parent didn't mention it to you??

Parent in question would be quite sticky. Will leave the decision to the principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Parent in question would be quite sticky. Will leave the decision to the principal.

Talk to the child and ask him if he’s injured and then ring the parent- injury might not be what you’ve heard. Children tend to exaggerate. I’ve had students come into school telling me that one of kids has broken their leg only for them to turn up the following day with a cut on their knee.

Talk to parents first - if he has a fracture they should have gotten some guidance from the doctor as they whether he can play sport and then discuss with principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

duty of care to all children

you've probably plenty of other players who'd be delighted to play

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

If injured they shouldnt be playing. As a coach you have a duty of care towards the kid
    Thanks for the reply. Confirming what I am thinking. Dreading the chat tomorrow to them that they cannot play. They kid just won't understand where I'm coming from.
    They wont understand if 10/11/12 but its your job as coach to say they cant as too dangerous.
    In no way should they play if have an injury like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

In no way should they play if have an injury like that

But without talking to the parents/child you don’t know. It could simply be a rumour or an exaggeration of facts. Check the facts and if he has the fracture don’t play him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

My opinion;

You need to talk to the principal first - the player is supposed to have received a fractured jaw on school grounds and if this injury is compounded further by an injury in a hurling game for the school, there's serious implications for the school.

Are you a teacher at the school? If yes, you should be able to find out exactly what happened and the extent of any possible existing injury, if the parents have made this information available to the school.

If you're not a teacher, the principal needs to be informed. The school need to get all information from the parents on the possible jaw injury. It unlikely, but the parents may not be aware of the alleged school yard injury.

Advertisement