Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1974 Jaguar XJ6 seals availability?

Options
  • 16-10-2017 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I'm restoring a 1974 XJ6. I've currently got the Chrome sent to 'Chrome fix' in UK and the body is being painted this week.
    The painter has said that a lot of the seals are not good enough to go back on with drying and cracking etc.
    Can anyone recommend a place to get replacements? I've seen some sites but prices are extremely high (which I wasn't expecting).
    Kilkenny area.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I presume you have already tried some of the many Jaguar suppliers in the UK?

It may also be worth considering contacting/joining a UK Jaguar club - many clubs keep parts in stock and sell same at reduced prices to club members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Depending on what specific seals you need, if they are very specific or generic. I've gotten various seals and trims from FJ Keogh motor factors in the Glasnevin industrial estate in Dublin. They have a great selection and are very helpful. Might be worth a call?
    Failing that, might the seals from a later xj do the job? A long shot, but more of these about, being broken/parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

Silvera wrote: »
    I presume you have already tried some of the many Jaguar suppliers in the UK?

It may also be worth considering contacting/joining a UK Jaguar club - many clubs keep parts in stock and sell same at reduced prices to club members.
    I've looked through some of the UK and US (Daimler) sites. Since I have the car being re-chromed right now (Chrome Fix) and Painted (opalescent silver blue) the costs are running high. I think i have someone with (cream red trim leather) a set of Series III seats that will fit it. So the seals are the next big thing.
    I haven't joined any of the clubs yet. Thanks for the 'heads up' could be a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

sogood wrote: »
    Depending on what specific seals you need, if they are very specific or generic. I've gotten various seals and trims from FJ Keogh motor factors in the Glasnevin industrial estate in Dublin. They have a great selection and are very helpful. Might be worth a call?
    Failing that, might the seals from a later xj do the job? A long shot, but more of these about, being broken/parted.
    I'll give them a call today and see if anything comes back. Apparently the S III seals are a 'close' match but require work. The Series II tend to break/degrade when being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Jesper wrote: »
    I'll give them a call today and see if anything comes back. Apparently the S III seals are a 'close' match but require work. The Series II tend to break/degrade when being removed.
    FWIW I have a donor XJ6 ( 1997 X300) and if any of the seals on it are any good to you, you're welcome to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement