Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 2 Renewal

• 23-10-2017 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Love it or loathe it Discovery will be back for another season (and more based on the strong wording of the article in terms of support for the show so far).

http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-renewed-for-second-season

Personally I'm glad, I dislike certain choices but overall am enjoying having Star Trek back on TV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You in Politics

• Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps
    • Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,971 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Delighted.

There are issues with the show but im having great fun with it. Love having star trek to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Love it or loathe it Discovery will be back for another season (and more based on the strong wording of the article in terms of support for the show so far).

http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-renewed-for-second-season

Personally I'm glad, I dislike certain choices but overall am enjoying having Star Trek back on TV.

Its not back on TV do. Its online.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

AMKC wrote: »

Online is on my TV...

Thank f*ck for that. It would have been a shame if it had been cancelled, as it would've been the death knell for Star Trek TV shows and potentially movies too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

While I'm sure it's doing legitimately well and am , Klingons aside, enjoying it , I think a season 2 was always a forgone conclusion after all the money they'd invested in it . It's par for the course for prestige cable shows to be given a second season to see if they can grow their audience (assuming they aren't a hit right out of the gate ), after that it comes down to viewership , cost and how badly the cable network needs the prestige that comes with a critically acclaimed show. Starz and AMC are notorius for giving poorly rated shows second seasons as a matter of course if they've received any sort of acclaim(Starz because they were the new kids on the block and had to be able to say they were producing good tv even if no one was watching, and AMC because they had a reputation for producing good tv , ratings bedamned)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Online is on my TV...

Awe ok then. Its back on TV for some of us then others of us have to watch it online so to me for instance while it is back its still not back on TV.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AMKC wrote: »

TV is online these days; Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc are TV channels whether you chose to recognise them as such or not. Just because the source of transmission is different changes nothing. Personally the glut of paywall digital channels is anti consumer in my eyes, but it doesn't alter the fact these are TV channels, making TV shows, albeit via a different platform.

Star Trek is back on TV.

Great news about the renewal, though I daresay the success on Netflix and the international distribution helped bolster success - I can't imagine the American ratings are too stellar with CBSs own service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

pixelburp wrote: »
    Personally the glut of paywall digital channels is anti consumer in my eyes

I don't think it's as anti-consumer as the old system, being forced into a €30+ cable/satellite subscription from a single vendor and making do with their curated "packages" just for the small handful of shows on the tiny handful of channels you actually want to watch, in-between all the adverts.

*shudder*

Majority of televisions sold now and in the past year or two will have a Netflix app built in, along with YouTube, AmazonVideo, and probably a few others. If not, Chromecast works great for about €30.

Great to see Star Trek on TV again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

What are viewership figures like ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What are viewership figures like ?

No one knows; Netflix refuse to publish stats for any of their shows, while I believe CBS are doing the same for their own online service. There are 3rd parties that claim to have numbers calculated, but ultimately they're only fancy guesses that get published as Truth in the absence of official viewerships

Advertisement