Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Murph_D wrote: »
    Am I acclimatising to marathon stuff? This week will tell - will be doing the Longwood ¾ Marathon on Sunday, as pacer FBOT has generously donated his +1. It'll be a departure from the Hanson 16-mile max long run. I expect it to be a bit of a slog towards the end - don’t think i’ve done anything more than 15 miles since Donadea.

Mon 2 Oct

13k (8 mi) easy in the Phoenix Park. Was dithering near the Farmleigh Gates considering which way to turn when I heard someone call my name and had a pleasant chat with AMK as he took a break from his strides. Strava flyby tells me I just missed mbarr too. Felt pretty good on this, nice to be back in the Park.

Tue 3 Oct

Strength: 3 x 3200 (800m jog recovery)

Alone in the crowd again, plugging away at my session as the rest of the marathon crowd did their fartlek. The guidance is 10 secs/mile faster than MP. Felt easy enough, but thought it would never end. Lapped on multiple occasions by a jocular PaulieYifter and a pensive Singer, among many others. Pretty much last out of the stadium as I finished up and jogged home.

Approx splits (target = 14:50):
    14:39 14:44 14:52

The last one did feel a bit harder, but mostly due to boredom I think. Recovery home for a decent total of 20k (13 mi) for the night.

Wed 4 Oct

Rest.

WTD: 33k (21m)
    MTD: 50 (31)
    YTD: 2,377 (1,47)

That's an excellent session in the bag. It can't have been easy to keep going when you were regularly being lapped. I'd take that one as a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Am I acclimatising to marathon stuff? This week will tell - will be doing the Longwood ¾ Marathon on Sunday, as pacer FBOT has generously donated his +1.

Excellent - see you both there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's an excellent session in the bag. It can't have been easy to keep going when you were regularly being lapped. I'd take that one as a win!

Thanks J. But being lapped is no problem at all - all part of the fun in long marathon group sessions on the track.

Singer wrote: »
    Pensive / suffering, pretty much the same thing :) I still haven’t had a good session on the track. You looked relaxed and in control!

Cheers, B. It took a good while for me to feel comfortable in the track sessions. The more determined you are to run at the correct pace, the more likely you'll end up running by yourself. ;) It's all about finding the right group, takes a while. It's much easier in the main group than the marathon group, in my experience.

Thu 5 Oct

Tempo Thurs: 16.1k (10 mi) @ MP

It is becoming customary now to do these MP runs on the Royal Canal between Maynooth and Leixlip. I bumped into TRR just before heading out and he mentioned a current injury he’d picked up doing a canal tempo, so not the best thought to have in the head setting out. But then again, this would be ‘only’ a MP run, so perhaps not as great a stress on the body (although I was certainly not underestimating it). I was under a little time pressure so minimised the warmup to a mile and geared up to MP just past the Maynooth railway station. The five miles towards Leixlip took me all the way to the Dublin county line near Leixlip, where I turned into the breeze for the return journey.

Splits:
    4:40 4:43 4:46 4:39 4:41 4:42 4:42 4:46
    4:42 4:48 4:40 4:44 4:39 4:34 4:47 4:42 (4:39)

Enjoyed this. The changing terrain underfoot means you can’t ever really switch off and have to keep your wits about you. HR in the right place, at around 85% of reserve. Feeling really good the past few weeks, it has to be said.

Fri 6 Oct

11.5k @ 5:46 (7.1 @ 9:17)

Easy jog out to St. Anne’s park and back, joined by M & DD for a good part of it.

Sat 7 Oct

Rest.

Sun 8 Oct

Irish ¾ Marathon: 31.65 @ 5:13 (19.7 @ 8:24) HRR 164 (78%)

I’ve read about this event with a mild curiosity over the last few years. Delighted to finally go down and do it, as FBOT was pacing the 3:30 group and had given me his 'bring a friend' entry. The mrs signed up too, and off we set for Longwood, Co. Meath around 8 o’clock. Very smooth operation, with lots of easy parking close to the start line and a pretty slick marshalling operation. Said hello to a few current and former boardsies, clubmates and parkrunners before the start (and a few more afterwards too). As most people know, the majority of runners do this event as a final 20-mile LR, and the pacer groups run not at MP, but at the appropriate steady pace for the various headline targets. FBOT was one of two 3:30+ pacers and I joined the quite sizeable group that gathered around his green balloon.

The steady pace, at only 5% slower than MP, is challenging enough for a LR and a considerable fitness test. Really enjoyed this, breaking the Hanson rule and going beyond 16, having taken an extra rest day yesterday to partially atone. Very sociable run, great atmosphere in the group. Our pacer was in fine form, keeping everyone motivated and relaxed throughout. The group seemed to respond well, and hopefully most of them will toe the line in three weeks time.

The sign on FBOT’s back said 5:13/km and that’s what we did. Another pacing masterclass from the NS stalwart. ;)

First time I ever saw fruit cake at a water station. Naturally I tried this and it went down quite well. Jelly babies at the next. And crisp sambos in the hall afterwards - another unique touch. Terrific event, and a great way to end one of the highest mileage weeks I’ve done yet.

WTD: 97k (60m)
    MTD: 113 (70)
    YTD: 2,440 (1,517)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I love the Royal Canal, am lucky enough to be close to it too, which reminds me, I must get down there this weekend!

The 3/4 marathon is (IMO) even better organised than the big event Dublin :) It was my first ever sighting of AMK (was too shy to say hello) and likewise, spotting fruitcake at an aid station!!! Along with watermelon and all sorts of other amazing goodies, they also had women's size singlets in a world full of oversized t-shirts. I can't wait to do this again sometime in the future.

Sounds like you enjoyed the day out and why not with PPE at the helm :D.

I love the Royal Canal, am lucky enough to be close to it too, which reminds me, I must get down there this weekend!

The 3/4 marathon is (IMO) even better organised than the big event Dublin :) It was my first ever sighting of AMK (was too shy to say hello) and likewise, spotting fruitcake at an aid station!!! Along with watermelon and all sorts of other amazing goodies, they also had women's size singlets in a world full of oversized t-shirts. I can't wait to do this again sometime in the future.

Sounds like you enjoyed the day out and why not with PPE at the helm :D.

Ha ha. I had an AMK sighting too - twice In a week! PPE? You'll have to explain.

PPE? You'll have to explain.

'Perfect Pacer Extraordinaire', much better than 'FBOT' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

WTD: 97k (60m)
    MTD: 113 (70)
    YTD: 2,440 (1,517)

Ah would you not have done the extra 3km... great week otherwise :)

The watermelon I had at the end of last year's 3/4 was one of the most best tasting food I've ever eaten.

The 3/4 marathon is (IMO) even better organised than the big event Dublin :)It was my first ever sighting of AMK (was too shy to say hello)

This has caused me all sorts of consternation.
    Is AGYR not who I think she is.
    Does she not remember meeting me previously?
    Maybe theres another AMK?

But I think shes just gone doddery............ :p

Nice run Murph & great mileage - you do remember meeting me on Sunday, don't you :o?

• Advertisement

This has caused me all sorts of consternation.
    Is AGYR not who I think she is.
    Does she not remember meeting me previously?
    Maybe theres another AMK?

But I think shes just gone doddery............ :p

Nice run Murph & great mileage - you do remember meeting me on Sunday, don't you :o?

It was 2014!!!!! Back then it was the Athlone 3/4 marathon... You were pacing some speedy folks, I was only new to the A/R forum though and was afraid to speak to someone of your caliber :D.

If anyone is doddery around here...... :pac:

It was 2014!!!!! Back then it was the Athlone 3/4 marathon... You were pacing some speedy folks, I was only new to the A/R forum though and was afraid to speak to someone of your caliber :D.

If anyone is doddery around here...... :pac:

Well you didn't specify 2014 did you!!

I was saying to myself - AM wasn't doing Longwood.......maybe shes supporting. But shes not even in Ireland..........Jaysus, whats going on here..... :D:D

Well you didn't specify 2014 did you!!

I was saying to myself - AM wasn't doing Longwood.......maybe shes supporting. But shes not even in Ireland..........Jaysus, whats going on here..... :D:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry D, you can have your log back now!

'Perfect Pacer Extraordinaire', much better than 'FBOT' :D

Shh. His head's big enough already. The thinking was that it meant parkrun Pacer Extraordinaire but of course that would have been pPE.
    Singer wrote: »
    Ah would you not have done the extra 3km... great week otherwise :)

The watermelon I had at the end of last year's 3/4 was one of the most best tasting food I've ever eaten.

The thought did cross my mind last night when I added it all up. But no, sure isn't the 60 a round number too? :)

Feeling a bit miffed now that I didn't bother with the watermelon. Banana and chocolate milk was my post race choice. But it seems everyone's raving about the melon. I did get to hold FBOT's slice for a few seconds while he fiddled with his shoelaces.

I do. And the previous Monday. Did you not see my 'twice in a week' comment. Maybe AGYR's doddery comment is right. :P

Sorry D, you can have your log back now!

Ah fire away. Always happy to provide a forum for the important discussions. Mind you FBOT was looking more tanned than AMK yesterday after the latest episode of FBOT-ness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Shh. His head's big enough already. The thinking was that it meant parkrun Pacer Extraordinaire but of course that would have been pPE.

The thought did cross my mind last night when I added it all up. But no, sure isn't the 60 a round number too? :)

Feeling a bit miffed now that I didn't bother with the watermelon. Banana and chocolate milk was my post race choice. But it seems everyone's raving about the melon. I did get to hold FBOT's slice for a few seconds while he fiddled with his shoelaces.

I do. And the previous Monday. Did you not see my 'twice in a week' comment. Maybe AGYR's doddery comment is right. :P

Ah fire away. Always happy to provide a forum for the important discussions. Mind you FBOT was looking more tanned than AMK yesterday after the latest episode of FBOT-ness. :pac:

Jazus, did Auldbot get jaundice or what :)

TbL

Three weeks to go...

Mon 9 Oct

Rest. Plan had 10k but decided an extra day off would be more beneficial.

Tue 10 Oct

Strength: 4 x 2400 (800m jog recovery)

Stopped off at the Polo Grounds on the way home from work for this session. Felt very sluggish during the warmup with some residual tiredness from Sunday’s long run. Got into it but it was a bit of a chore. I was sustained by the memory of doing these speed/strength sessions now for five months without any real problems. Had set up the watch for three reps, classic Freudian slip. Realised after the first that it should have been four and decided to give myself a break, but by the time rep three came around I’d already talked myself back into doing the session as planned.

Splits (target: 4:38 /k = 7:27 /m = 11:07 /rep)

11:04 11:02 11:00 10:43

Phoenix Park magnificent in the autumnal afternoon. Somewhat surrealistically, the Polo Pavillion seems to have been taken over by Chinese construction workers, not sure what’s going on there!

Wed 11 Oct

Rest.

WTD: 18k (11m)
    MTD: 131 (87)
    YTD: 2,458 (1,528)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

https://dublinzoo.ie/wildlights/
    This probably explains it!

Well done for finishing the session properly!

Thu 12 Oct

Tempo Thurs: 16.1k (10 mi) @ MP

Change of scenery from the usual canal route. Back to the Phoenix Park, 2 miles warmup then 10 @ marathon pace on the Frank Duffy route. A bit huffy and puffy but done without too much drama, despite not being at my best today after a boozy enough midweek table quiz last night. :p Got the route slightly wrong and as a result I finished about a km earlier than I was expecting, at the top of the Upper Glen Road mountain. That was a bonus.

Splits:
    4:42 4:44 4:37 4:49 4:36 4:53 4:35 4:44
    4:42 4:42 4:44 4:43 4:35 4:40 4:41 4:52 (4:36)

Another decent outing. Finished this a lot better than the real Frank Duffy anyway! Strava flyby tells me I passed AGYR cycling home on Chesterfield but didn’t spot her.

Fri 13 Oct

Recovery 10k @ 6:10 (6.6 @ 9:56)

Well, the plan is supposed to accumulate fatigue, so that part is definitely working. Legs very tired and stiff today.

Sat 14 Oct

16.4k (10.2m) inc Darndale parkrun @ MP

Well, the plan is also supposed to dissipate fatigue, and that part seems to be working too. A carload of us headed over to the deep NS to check out Dublin’s newest parkrun. Bumped into Wubble Wubble on the start line, looking marathon fit. Felt perky enough to attempt this at MP and pace aquinn to a sub-24, not that she needed me. Felt great on this, and for once was more chatty than A herself. Great to see BG back in action as well, keeping the mrs company for her MP+ round, before letting go with a sprinty finish. Very enjoyable morning. Darndale team were very welcoming. I really hope this parkrun continues to be a success. Enjoyed a nice breakfast afterwards, as you do. Home then and about to jump in the shower when I consulted the plan and realised I was supposed to do 10 miles today, not 6 as I had thought. Decided the difference was too great to add on to tomorrow’s run so out I went again for another few miles along the seafront. :rolleyes:

Sun 15 Oct

Club run: 17k @ 5:16 (10.6m @ 8:29)

90 mins easy with the Cru. One of our members took a heavy fall on the North Road’s bumpy footpath. Ouch. Could have been any of us, and I'm glad it wasn't me. Plenty of ambulances about for the Marie Keating race so help was at hand for treating the cuts, handily enough. Enjoyable run, apart from that bit! Lots of other groups out today. Palpable DCM vibe in the air. Decent week at 85k (53 miles).

WTD: 85k (53m)
    MTD: 197 (123)
    YTD: 2,525 (1,569)

Two weeks to go. Have been thinking more about the marathon target. I am probably going to be less conservative than previously suggested. ;)

Mon 16 Oct

Easy 13k (8.1m)

Early out and back to Irishtown Nature Reserve before the ex-hurricane. Nice morning. Early light got really weird for a minute or two just before the turn, but otherwise a normal sort of morning before the later turbulence.

Tue 17 Oct

Strength: 6 x 1600 (800m jog recovery)

Phoenix Park again. Was on the way to the Polo Grounds but changed my mind while driving across the Acres and decided to run around the pitches instead, after a Munich Hills warmup. A few branches down from yesterday's high winds, but otherwise calm in the late afternoon glow. Had to wear the shades with the low sun. Nearing end of first rep and bump into AMK for the third time in a few weeks. Passed him again another couple of times as he was doing the lap in the opposite direction, laying down a nice pace as I plodded around at MP-10s. I find this session tougher than the longer intervals for some reason, but got it done. Felt tired and form felt a bit all over the place on the bumpy enough surface.

Splits (target: 4:38 /k = 7:27 /m = 7:25 /rep)

7:21 7:17 7:20 7:18 7:11 7:15

Second last rep was without looking at watch and as usual in that case a bit fast. In general this felt like a bit of a grind, and I was happy to get through unscathed. Last of the speed/strength sessions. They have gone well.

Total with warmup and cooldown: 19.1k (11.8m).

Wed 18 Oct

Rest.

WTD: 32k (20m)
    MTD: 229 (143)
    YTD: 2,557 (1,589)

Thu 19 Oct

No running. Supposed to be tempo day but a thing in work meant I couldn’t get out at lunchtime. Night time was out too, because of another thing. Oh well. A rest is as good as an easy day sometimes.

Fri 20 Oct

Tempo Fri: 16.1k (10 mi) @ MP

Yesterday’s postponed run, scheduled to try and avoid the forecast heavy rain (that didn’t appear til later, and not that heavy in the end). Back to the Phoenix Park, mostly retracing last weeks effort, correcting for my misremembering of the FD route. Kept an eye out for new BFF AMK but he seems to be avoiding me now. :pac:

Splits:
    4:18 4:40 4:41 4:49 4:33 4:59 4:45 4:39
    4:44 4:42 4:42 4:36 4:28 4:27 4:50 4:20 (3:50)

Was doing my best to run by feel, checking pace only on the km beep, to get an idea how I’ve adapted to this pace. Hared off at start but adjusted well thereafter to keep effort consistent. Put in a bit extra in last couple of miles. Happy with this run. If nothing else, I’m learning how to run the Frank Duffy course. :)

Total for the day 22.4 km (14 mi).

WTD: 54k (34m)
    MTD: 251 (157)
    YTD: 2,579 (1,603)

• Advertisement

Sat 21 Oct

14.5k (9m) inc. Poolbeg parkrun easy

Over and back to Irishtown with FBOT and Ferris to check out this recent addition to the Dublin parkrun scene. Nice out and back route to the Nature Reserve (including the hill) and a couple of loops of Sean Moore Park. I jogged around with some clubmates while the lads gave it a bit more effort. Tough enough course, but quite scenic, with a fine view of our wonderful state-of-the-art refuse-incineration facility. Better than Ballina parkrun's sewage works all the same! Pretty cold morning, and we earned our post-run breakfast.

Sun 22 Oct

Easy 13 (8.1)

Took myself through town and out the final couple of miles of the marathon course, turning back at Nutley Lane. Just to remind myself of how flat the final stretch is. And because Northumberland Road can’t possibly be appreciated when you’re struggling to finish. Looked magnicifent today. Waved at denis b in Ballsbridge, looks like he might have had a similar plan. Spotted racheljev too, later on.

Hansons don’t do long taper - another 50 mile week, with the intensity kept constant until the final 10 days or so. Finally back on track for 2,000 miles this year, having been behind schedule nearly all year thanks to the shorter stuff. Might make it after all.

All easy for the next week (and beyond), obviously. Roll on!

WTD: 82k (51m)
    MTD: 279 (174)
    YTD: 2,607 (1,620)

Race week!

I’ve nailed my colours to the mast and will be attempting sub-3:20, not for the first time. :rolleyes: To use the sporting cliché, it will be a ‘big ask’. But I’m hoping the consistency gained over the last five months of training will stand to me. Hanson didn’t let me down at half marathon distance. Can I spin it out to a succesful marathon as well? I’m feeling good enough to think it’s a possibility.

Mon 23 Oct

Easy 10.5k @ 5:37 (6.5m @ 9:03)

Stopped off at Donadea Forest Park on the way home for a couple of laps. Sluggish enough, as was to be expected. Only one tree down across the path. Considered hurdling it clean, but too risky at this late stage. Opted for the stepover method. Log!

Tue 24 Oct

8.5k (5.2m) easy

Out to the Bull Wall, still feeling typically sluggish. Joined up with FBOT for the return half. The talk was of our respective duties on Sunday, naturally enough. Bumped into Duanington in Fairview so M didn’t have to feel lonely on the way back. Nice timing. Pleasant run in the end.

Wed 25 Oct

Rest.

WTD: 19k (12m)
    MTD: 298 (186)
    YTD: 2,626 (1,632)

Where are you doing it D?

Best of luck with it.

For a Auld lad you're remarkably resilient and injury free.

What's the secret?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck with it.

For a Auld lad you're remarkably resilient and injury free.

What's the secret?

TbL

He's not cranky & contrary like you so he doesn't get injured!!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    He's not cranky & contrary like you so he doesn't get injured!!!!

Yep and I used to get a serious pain in my ear [EAR] when I was out running with you.

In a weird way I miss it :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Yep and I used to get a serious pain in my ear [EAR] when I was out running with you.

In a weird way I miss it :)

TbL

Yeah, but I always said you were kinky!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I believe in you D ! Your training has been great and very consistent. If all the external factors play ball I reckon it's there for you. The very best of luck if I don't see you before then.

TbL

I know your old n all but you do know DCM is this Sunday, right? :D

I know your old n all but you do know DCM is this Sunday, right? :D

Tnx for reminding me.

Misread his post, thought he was talking about his next one!!!

Didn't think he was going for 3.20 this time :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Didn't think he was going for 3.20 this time :)
    TbL

Pretty sure he didn't either until very recently ;)

Advertisement