Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current Market Conditions - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Up a bit again ( well Bitcoin is anyways).
    I think we can expect volatility such as this in the run-up to the forthcoming forks of Bitcoin Gold (Oct 25) and Seqwit2X (mid-november).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

From my short time in the crypto world, it seems about right, a large surge (especially in BTC) normally followed by some sort of pullback.

The total market cap still hasn't exceeded the $180B just before the big bitcoin pullback in early September, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to $200B by the end of the year.

BTC back up to its highs again ($5,700). Oh ye of little faith ! :)

Never a dull day in Bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Navcoin had an interesting week.
    Had gains of 60 - 70% before a major dump.
    Price went from $1.20 down to $0.80.

IOTA is really hurting me atm :( Been wallowing for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Big drops rights across the board.....the top 20 are a showing a sea of red. Even crypto poster boy BTC is falling back towards the $5k mark. Doing a bit of reading around but no general consensus.

Some reasons?

• People cashing in on profits?
    • Just the general rollercoaster ride that is crypto?

If altcoins are your thing, I think NEO, XMR and OMG look very tempting.

Agree. Increased my holdings on the three above plus Ark in the last week.

• Advertisement

Bought into vertcoin at $1 so happy right now.

Anyone have any views on substratum?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Bought into vertcoin at $1 so happy right now.

Anyone have any views on substratum?

Looks like a good move. Vertcoin is bucking the trend on Altcoins at the moment.

SkySter wrote: »
    Looks like a good move. Vertcoin is bucking the trend on Altcoins at the moment.

Bitcoin's dominance is reaching ridiculous levels now, it's nearly 60% of the total market cap.

I'm surprised at the lack of performance in litecoin though, it's very similar to vertcoin in most ways, except that vert can be mined with a normal gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭covfefe

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Bitcoin's dominance is reaching ridiculous levels now, it's nearly 60% of the total market cap.

I'm surprised at the lack of performance in litecoin though, it's very similar to vertcoin in most ways, except that vert can be mined with a normal gpu.

Compared to dominance of over 80% earlier in the year it doesn't look that ridiculous to me, I'm more surprised that it lost so much of it's share to altcoins since then.

covfefe wrote: »
    Compared to dominance of over 80% earlier in the year it doesn't look that ridiculous to me, I'm more surprised that it lost so much of it's share to altcoins since then.

I'm showing my crypto age (or lack of it ;)) haven't been into it long enough to have seen those days.

• Advertisement

Up and up the Vertcoin goes, where it stops, nobody knows! (or maybe Mr. Satoshi does)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dextadave

anybody on here trade BAT, entry point looks good at the moment

It's price is in steady decline. I would be surprised if this ever lifts back.

And I don't see any real-world success use for the token or system itself -- people get tiny micro-payments for watching advertising? Yeah, right.

Like 99% of ICO's, this was a money-grab from the get-go, in my view. And those who were advantaged enough to buy in pre-launch at a discount very quickly dumped their allocation for a profit when trading went live. The bag-holders are left with losses that sadly I think won't ever be recovered.

It's up to each person to do as they see fit, but I stay away from all these useless ICO's and the trash-coins that are released on a daily basis. I put my faith (and money) in Bitcoin alone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I stay away from all these useless ICO's and the trash-coins that are released on a daily basis. I put my faith (and money) in Bitcoin alone. :)

It's hardly BTC or nothing, everything else is a trash-coin, surely? What's your view on ETH?

unkel wrote: »
    It's hardly BTC or nothing, everything else is a trash-coin, surely?
    For me, it is ! :)

Coming to Bitcoin will be Lightning Network, Rootstock, Level II solutions, increased scaling capability, cross-chain integration, etc etc. Who needs altcoins? :D
    Bitcoin has network effect; it's protocol is secured by massive hashpower that alts can only dream of. Bitcoin is widely accepted as THE cryptocurrency by business leaders, the media and users. Bitcoin core has a 200-strong tea of developers comprised of the sharpest minds on the planets rather than the many alts individual one-man "development" team operating out of their Mam's basement.
    These alts really have no use or usage in the real world. They are primarily speculative and vehicles for pump-n-dump schemes. People buy into them thru' FOMO on the "next Bitcoin". Here's news for those people -- Bitcoin IS the next Bitcoin. :)

So yeah, Bitcoin will do for me. It's been good for me since I first bought in 2013. Most other coins have crashed and burned in the interim, and are now dead coins. I'll stick with Bitcoin exclusively until I see concrete evidence that it is a failure.

What's your view on ETH?
    ETH price was tearing up in the first half of the year based on people's perception of its potential. The price is largely stagnant, however, for the past three months and even dropping comparatively to BTC because investors have not seen that potential filled. We are still waiting for the rush to smart contracts usage. Maybe it will come, but I have a fear that large companies might well enable their own intra-company blockchains for this rather than go with a public blockchain like Ethereum. I dunno; the jury is out. By all means, buy into ETH if you are prepared to gamble on future potential. But Gambling is not Investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Well, I bit the bullet. First time investing in anything really, but I've done my research. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Well, I bit the bullet. First time investing in anything really, but I've done my research. Fingers crossed.

What did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Everything red today. Anyone know what's going on?

Yea ive made some money with BAT nothing to crazy

no limit coin was a huge winner for me bought in june at 190 sats and sold at 12550 sat.
    Ive bought into a few ico's with profits and energy sector powerledger, mybit, ong social was another

When its in the red buy is my theory anyways.

Do you guys follow any people on youtube

What did you buy?

There's nothing else but Bitcoin. And I'm not being flippant. Going to hold €3k worth and wait.

Does anyone know how to avoid checking the price of a Bitcoin EVERY. FECKING. HOUR? Annoyingly, Coinbase won't let me buy more than €500 a week until I've spent $1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Everything red today. Anyone know what's going on?
    Altcoins in the red for a while now with people converting to Bitcoin for the fork, Bitcoin could be in the red as some people bought not for btg but they predicted the pump and selling to cash in
    Edit: wonder if the altcoins finally start to move after fork, a lot of people think they will

annie.t wrote: »
    Altcoins in the red for a while now with people converting to Bitcoin for the fork, Bitcoin could be in the red as some people bought not for btg but they predicted the pump and selling to cash in
    Edit: wonder if the altcoins finally start to move after fork, a lot of people think they will

And the altcoins move. There will be a deja vu again with next months segwitx2 fork.

FECKING. HOUR? Annoyingly, Coinbase won't let me buy more than €500 a week until I've spent $1000.
    Now is not the best time to buy Bitcoin.

Now is not the best time to buy Bitcoin.

Well, I've only bought €500 so far, should I sell that and wait until the price has dropped significantly? I'm planning to buy €3k in total.

Well, there does seem a strong support line around the $5,600 level, so maybe hold onto your €500 worth. The $5,600 level might hold steady -- then again, there might be a further drop. Who knows, if we did we would be millionaires. :)
    BTC would be expected to rise in the run-up to the big Segwit2X fork in mid-November (Nov 13th?), before it drops again post-Segwit2X You might consider buying another €500 worth if you are of a mind that the price will go up in this pre-Segwit2X period if you are of a mind to do so.
    Hwever, the problem is that we will see a lot of this volatiity. It's a matter of calling it correctly. Worse still, there is -- and will be -- a lot of network instability what with Replay Protection attacks. Be aware that there is a distinct possibility that some people might lose their coins through sloppiness and non-familiarity with the system. Running any transactions at the moment carries some risk. For that reason, I personally have pulled down the shutters and am not conducting any transactions whatsoever until a week or so after Nov 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭crushproof

Dam Vertcoin blowing up after going down... looks like it's on the way back to his ATH it gained yesterday, well done to whoever has some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Is now a good time to get onto ripple... And is kraken the best place to purchase...

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Is now a good time to get onto ripple... And is kraken the best place to purchase...

Kraken is generally regarded as the exchange with the lowest fees. I'd say do a bit of reading about upcoming Ripple events and developments. Their long awaited Swell conference actually seemed to have a negative impact on their price.

If you wanted to hop on Ripple I'd do it sooner rather than later, it's still in recovery mode after the BTC fork so I think there's still gains to be made, in the short term anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Kraken is generally regarded as the exchange with the lowest fees. I'd say do a bit of reading about upcoming Ripple events and developments. Their long awaited Swell conference actually seemed to have a negative impact on their price.

If you wanted to hop on Ripple I'd do it sooner rather than later, it's still in recovery mode after the BTC fork so I think there's still gains to be made, in the short term anyway.

Did you mean, cripple :D

Seriously, i never fud or shill any coin, but please don't send more of your money to cripple.

• Advertisement

jesus the alts are hopping today, looks like i should have grabbed a few, haev some fiat locked and ready to go for the next two weeks
    just been caught up so much lately

Advertisement