Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Humphries: Guilty of child abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's loyalty and there's basic human decency. How will that victim feel when she reads someone with such a prominent public profile, someone who's be deified for his battle for truth in his professional life, say that the man who groomed her and raped her is a great man?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

as i said.. blinded by loyalty,

..like you have thousands who still remain loyal to the catholic church in this country despite all the child sex abuse scandals

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see the sociopath Lance Armstrong has had his say on the matter too. His first thought was to use this girl's hardship to get at Walsh. What a vile piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I also think “scumbag” is completely over the top, it’s equally as misplaced as the “great man” comments imo.
    He was his friend for 30 years and has a blinded sense of loyalty. Think how you would feel about a long time close friend in that situation. It’s easy to preach from a high horse and I think Matt Cooper was borderline high-horse preaching too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://twitter.com/AkaPaulHoward/status/917426629034631171

Far beyond an error of judgement by Walsh....same lad shouting about omerta in sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I also think “scumbag” is completely over the top, it’s equally as misplaced as the “great man” comments imo.
    He was his friend for 30 years and has a blinded sense of loyalty. Think how you would feel about a long time close friend in that situation. It’s easy to preach from a high horse and I think Matt Cooper was borderline high-horse preaching too tbh.

Some very distorted thinking displayed by Walsh in that interview in order to protect his own ego. I mean when he says Humphries is a fine man and that will come out at the end of this. If only he could detach himself and imagine it was a stranger in this situation being described as a fine man by others, he would likely find such a description as odious and minimizing a grave crime.

if it was a long term friend of mine, I would admit I never really knew the person and condemn what they did unreservedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

gctest50 wrote: »

Whats the connection between Humphries & Donal Og ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

the last line of this according to ( https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/ )
    Just before Humphries was taken to prison, the judge was given 2 insights into his character
    Two character references were supplied by Harnett
    One was by David Walsh, the chief sport writer for The Sunday Times
    The second letter was written by a former GAA star

https://twitter.com/AkaPaulHoward/status/917023093499092998

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I dont really understand what character references achieve or why theyre accepted in cases of prolonged and escalating offending behaviour like this.

Someone not known for fighting throws a punch and hurts someone. The act was out of character, so a reference helps to establish his character.

Someone consciously grooms a child for sex over a prolonged period - that is his character, no reference needed.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Whats the connection between Humphries & Donal Og ?

Rumour mill had it that Tom was writing Donal ogs column incognito after the allegations broke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Someone consciously grooms a child for sex over a prolonged period - that is his character, no reference needed.

Very good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just listened to the 2012 Matt Cooper-David Walsh interview there and it sounds to me like Walsh believed back then that Humphies was going to be found innocent. In the interview Walsh says Humphries is a fine man and will be seen as a fine man at the end of the process. Walsh was clearly deluded back in 2012 but not all the facts were known then. We do know them now and yet he still gives Humphries a reference. Unreal stuff tbh, this is as bad if not worse as that time Mickey Harte gave a reference to a man who raped a woman in the back of his van and then literally threw her into a ditch on the side of the road, all after his own daughter had been murdered. Walsh doesnt have a leg to stand on here, he is in danger of ruining his decorated career as a journalist over a friendship with a paedo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

There's loyalty and there's basic human decency. How will that victim feel when she reads someone with such a prominent public profile, someone who's be deified for his battle for truth in his professional life, say that the man who groomed her and raped her is a great man?

Humphries(abhorrent as he is) is entitled to defend himself , irish law allows this.
    These character statements are a legal mechanism and walsh has done nothing but follow the legal process.

I mightn't agree with what walsh did but I find calls for Walsh to lose his job and the ensuing witchhunt against walsh for doing something that is part of the legal process quite troubling . He is getting more grief than Humphries ffs.

If his statement on behalf of his friend is accurate what has Walsh done wrong?

If you want character references banned from court.,..lobby your TD.

JoeA3 wrote: »

matt cooper lives on his high horse.....a judgmental c0ck .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

arayess wrote: »

I mightn't agree with what walsh did but I find calls for Walsh to lose his job and the ensuing witchhunt against walsh for doing something that is part of the legal process quite troubling . He is getting more grief than Humphries ffs.

Sorry but this is nonsense. I never called for Walsh to lose his job and I don't see anyone else here doing that. Being criticised online is nowhere near "getting more grief than Humphries," who let's not forget, is going to be locked up for raping a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I think we all assumed who the GAA star was, but has it been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I think we all assumed who the GAA star was, but has it been confirmed?

Follow Ewan McKenna on Twitter, he's named the player

Sorry but this is nonsense. I never called for Walsh to lose his job and I don't see anyone else here doing that. Being criticised online is nowhere near "getting more grief than Humphries," who let's not forget, is going to be locked up for raping a child.

i didn't say you did....but there have been calls ..
    indo ran story today with it in the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Follow Ewan McKenna on Twitter, he's named the player

I saw that and it was who I assumed it was anyway. Just find it surprising Walsh is getting all the attention and none of it on the GAA player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Given the gravity of Tom Humphries offences I think David Walsh erred in giving a character reference. While he has a right to admire his professional work the gravity of his offences should have caused him to steer clear of offering a character reference.
    Cooper is a knob. Sanctimonious Pratt. Given the circumstances in which the interview took place it was awkward in that the case was live before courts. As for Armstrong the word kettle pot and black come to mind. His delight in Walsh's predicament only shows Armstrong to be an odious Pratt. He has shown no regard for the circumstances.
    A person can come across as indeed a fine person and can have many redeeming qualities. Something Cooper should know at this stage of his life. I would agree with Cooper that Humphries, in light of what we now know, is not a fine man. He has been exposed as a man with an unhealthy sexual appetite which has caused him to act in a devious manner with devastating consequences for his victim/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think its time character references were outlawed from courts.

It puts everyone in a difficult position. Friends/former friends who are asked to provide one are put in a no win situation and a moral quandary. In this case, Walsh provided one without having full knowledge of the facts. It probably happens in many other cases too.

Judges who accept them are just as bad as well as defence lawyers. Victims are hurt by them, as they mitigate the crime.

Time to put an end to the practice once and for all. I would say their influence over judges' sentencing decisions is minimal and not worth all the furore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

2 and half years sounds about right. Was ludicrous to be suggesting he should get 25 years or anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Birneybau wrote: »

That's laughably low.

Some of the sentencing in this country is mind boggling. I could give my opinion on how they arrived at 2.5 years,but it's probably libelous to boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Birneybau wrote: »

Thats a very light sentence. Many have got more years for lesser crimes. Our sentencing system is atrociously inconsistant, makes you wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

2 and a half years shows how little this state cares for children... I really hope the DPP appeals that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

2 and half years sounds about right. Was ludicrous to be suggesting he should get 25 years or anything like it.

Jesus Pete, big jump from 2.5 years to 25 there!! Somewhere between 5 and 12 is probably right in this case. But 2.5 years is ridiculously light!!

More or less green lights child abuse. Risk v reward for predators and all that. 2.5 years is far from a deterrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

2.5 years is an insult. This country hasn't a fcuking clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

anna080 wrote: »
    2.5 years is an insult. This country hasn't a fcuking clue.

I'm reading the judge said it was difficult not to feel sympathy for him, and took his character statements in consideration.

That is scandalous. Absolutely sickening to hear from a judge.

Advertisement