Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to add sugar

Options
  • 22-10-2017 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi all, New to all this brewing craic, I have just started to brew my first batch or beer. It is a full extract American pale ale. My question is do I need to add Sugar before bottling? The instructions never mentioned any thing about sugar having to be added. Is there already enough carbonation thru the natural process?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

you'll need to add some for the bottles to carb up.
    there's loads of handy calculators to help you
    https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

stecleary wrote: »
    https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

stecleary wrote: »
    https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/[/QUOTE

Is it a good idea to put beer thru another fermenting bucket for another week or so? If I do is it best to siphon it out or just open lid and pour in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Siphon it out with as little splashing as possible, you don't want oxygen getting into the beer.
    Secondary isn't necessary but i like to go it, i boil a bit of gelatine in about a pint of water then rack onto that for secondary to clear the beer then batch prime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Do people put any of the yeast cake/trub for batch priming. I've been putting a spoon or two in but not sure if it's needed. Clarity isn't the best with a fair bit of yeast in the bottom of my bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Do people put any of the yeast cake/trub for batch priming.
    No need. There's still live yeast all the way through the beer. The yeast cake is mostly just the dead cells so you're adding unnecessary sludge and risking autolysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

BeerNut wrote: »
    No need. There's still live yeast all the way through the beer. The yeast cake is mostly just the dead cells so you're adding unnecessary sludge and risking autolysis.

Thanks. Have a Hefe in the fermenter and smells great so want to make this one as perfect as possible. Used a head retention enhancer in my last brew, Belgian Dubbel and it has lots of crap in it, wondering did the enhancer do this as I've never had this in any of my beers before, this was the first time I used it. Sorry for hijacking the thread by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Can always wash the yeast if brewing again on the weekend.

Advertisement