Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aodhán Ó Ríordáin wants to ban single sex schools

Options
  • 23-10-2017 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Aodhán Ó Ríordáin says single sex schools are highly outdated and should be phased out . Discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Joe Duffy. wrote: »
    Aodhán Ó Ríordáin says single sex schools are highly outdated and should be phased out . Discuss
    Is phasing something out the same as banning it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

really don't believe it. what is wrong with single sex schools? girls do better in single sex schools and boys do better in mixed schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Does anyone know what the idea is behind single sex schools in the first place? Men and women study and work together in all phases of life so why not get used to it as soon as possible? Why separate them when they're young? Just too disruptive? Or has it simply always been that way?

Not expressing an opinion, definitely don't think one or the other should be banned, just wondering. Does anyone know, any teachers around?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

It's him again. He has been mercifully quite for a while. Just some new uber liberal policy to, once again, display his virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Personally like teaching mixed classes. Whatever about secondary but from a primary perspective I think they are highly positive for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Joe Duffy. wrote: »

What's your opinion?

What's your opinion?

And where is the link?

The OP posted this two minutes after AOR did an interview with Ivan on Newstalk about the 'Opting out of religion at school' debate. The conversation went on to discuss segregation and if it was good or bad on the whole, and Ivan asked about gender-related segregation.

I heard AOR give an opinion, not declare that he wants to ban anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Single sex schools always seemed weird to me, and my god you could spot who went to them a mile off early in college. There is a lot more to school than learning the textbooks off by heart and personally I find same sex schools lacking there. They are supposedly much more common in Ireland than almost any other western country - particularly in public schooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

This would be a very bad development and should be resisted at all costs. The damage to the closed old boys network schools (OK, there are only about 8 of them, but they are the critical 8), (and wannabe old girls network that the singular Alexandra aspires to be), would be terrible. The country needs high level professionals, and these schools have always delivered them for the country. Diluting the numbers in them by taking in girls is a complete demolition of their entire ethos of faux catholic tradition and cultivator of the highest calibre material for the universities and national rugby team. The damage to the nation's fabric would be horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wait, did I completely misread your post or are you saying girls/women can't be high level professional professionals? :confused:

If I misread your post, can you please make a bit clearer what you meant there by 'diluting' the numbers?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Wait, did I completely misread your post or are you saying girls/women can't be high level professional professionals? :confused:

If I misread your post, can you please make a bit clearer what you meant there by 'diluting' the numbers?

I happen to think it was an excellent piece of satire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

This would be a very bad development and should be resisted at all costs. The damage to the closed old boys network schools (OK, there are only about 8 of them, but they are the critical 8), (and wannabe old girls network that the singular Alexandra aspires to be), would be terrible. The country needs high level professionals, and these schools have always delivered them for the country. Diluting the numbers in them by taking in girls is a complete demolition of their entire ethos of faux catholic tradition and cultivator of the highest calibre material for the universities and national rugby team. The damage to the nation's fabric would be horrendous.

I'd personally love to see a family tree of sorts charting the school background and years of our distinguished politicians and bankers! Oh and judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think eventually these kind of schools are going to fall foul of some kind of equality legislation. If they were 100% private, they would get away with it, like the golf clubs do. But nearly all of the so-called private schools in Ireland are heavily subsidised by the state.

Another issue with these kind of gender segregated schools is that they are tending to die out among the native population, at primary school level anyway, but they are also the norm for all new islamic schools being set up.
    So, like our blasphemy legislation, we can say "sure what harm is it" but others may seize on these things and use them as a legal precedent for their own purposes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Please read the charter re: standards before starting any new threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement