Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankers May Not Be Nice People

Options
  • 18-10-2017 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

A major Irish bank decided to deactivate my current account without informing me. I first noticed it when my direct debits started failing and then noticed that my overdraft facility seemed to have been removed. Phoned them and they said that it was due to my car loan which was in arrears. Ok, but it would have been nice to be have been told about this. Losing your overdraft facility with no notice is challenging, but it's ok. I'm getting hammered on those overdraft rates anyway and I have a deposit coming in which will cover all that. Grand.

I get the lodgement into the account, nothing major, just a few grand of a tax rebate. Go shopping with the daughter and the card gets rejected. Try the ATM, rejected. Call the card service and am told the card has been cancelled. Go home annoyed.

Yesterday morning, go to local bank branch and they refused to give me my money saying that it was tied up with my loan account. Got my money out in the end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A ludicrous amount of a bank's profit is made up of fees and charges. (up to 40% )

It used to be that people got paid for services they provide. Now banks get rich from creaming charges and penalties off the top of people trying to make ends meet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/21/the-crazy-growth-of-bank-fees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

There was a moment there in the branch, where the assistant manager was refusing to give me my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

bajer101 wrote: »
    There was a moment there in the branch, where the assistant manager was refusing to give me my money.

You don't work for them,I can kinda see the appeal of crypto currency judging by the banks behaviour the last few years

bajer101 wrote: »
    A major Irish bank decided to deactivate my current account without informing me. I first noticed it when my direct debits started failing and then noticed that my overdraft facility seemed to have been removed. Phoned them and they said that it was due to my car loan which was in arrears. Ok, but it would have been nice to be have been told about this.l.

You're annoyed because they stopped giving you credit facilities when you defaulted on a loan?

Check the terms and conditions of your overdraft facility. If it's allowed, then not sure what the problem is. Its not for them to beg you to comply with your car loan arrangement.

There are problems in Irish banking. One of them is banks behaving outrageously, like the tracker cases. One of them is customers defaulting on loans.

• Advertisement

"Bankers May Not Be Nice People"

Kinda misleading. People working in Banks are just doing a job. Following some very strict procedures for dealing with customers, and frankly, based on your description you would already be marked as a risk. Stands to reason they would be cautious of sticking their necks out for you.

The issue is with the bank and their procedures. Honestly, I was appalled when I returned to Ireland and saw the 4 euro a month charge simply for owning an account. But I wouldn't go calling bankers bad people because of it. I would consider Irish banks to be a load of thieves, and generally untrustworthy regarding my savings/mortgage, but I've known that since the banking 'crash'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Bankers are inherently bad people. I'm not talking about the lesser spotted teller or the guys on 6 month rolling contracts trying to sell products the banks don't really want to sell. I'm talking about the utter scum at the top. Ireland's worst people by miles. **** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

You defaulted on a car loan, the bank has every right to close your account. You are extremely lucky to have got any money back as they can take it and notify you in writing of this.

Loans that have being defaulted on make up a big part of why the crash happened.

Just stick to you payment arrangement.

I would also argue that people who don't pay their bills are inherently worse people than bankers because when a loan/utility bill etc goes unpaid the bank/company just increases the prices on those who pay

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

piplip87 wrote: »
    You defaulted on a car loan, the bank has every right to close your account. You are extremely lucky to have got any money back as they can take it and notify you in writing of this.

Loans that have being defaulted on make up a big part of why the crash happened.

I would also argue that people who don't pay their bills are inherently worse people than bankers because when a loan/utility bill etc goes unpaid the bank/company just increases the prices on those who pay

Ah come on, you are speaking surely to "burn the bondholders" people who are not that sensible or nuanced.

Don't bother.

Your last paragraph is absolutely the biggest puke posted here in ages.

People should pay their bills but if you can't differentiate between someone who loses their job and can't pay a mortgage that they only got because the bank threw it at them and a rich banker who invents a ponzi scheme or acts like our banks acted in the boom years, or acts with the utter callousness of our banks screwing people who signed up to one loan and forcing them to a variable and then hang themselves.

**** them. Scum. Someone missing a loan repayment isn't even in the same category, but you're that brainwashed by your right wing leaders you think they're worse. Wake up.

• Advertisement

Ah come on, you are speaking surely to "burn the bondholders" people who are not that sensible or nuanced.

Don't bother.

Yep your dead right. A guy missing a car loan repayment is a bigger bastard than the scum at Anglo Irish.

Nuanced. What a ****ing joke.

Jayop wrote: »

People should pay their bills but if you can't differentiate between someone who loses their job and can't pay a mortgage...

That is everyone's fault why?

Ever heard of personal responsibility?

Yep your dead right. A guy missing a car loan repayment is a bigger bastard than the scum at Anglo Irish.

One and the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Your last paragraph is absolutely the biggest puke posted here in ages.

People should pay their bills but if you can't differentiate between someone who loses their job and can't pay a mortgage that they only got because the bank threw it at them and a rich banker who invents a ponzi scheme or acts like our banks acted in the boom years, or acts with the utter callousness of our banks screwing people who signed up to one loan and forcing them to a variable and then hang themselves.

Yes the banks threw money at people and made them sign loan forms.....will you grow up?
    People made choices, some of them bad ones...but they have a personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

The bank sent you letters, did you ignore them?

I also got stung in a similar fashion many moons ago, never thought to blame the bank for the situation! How stupid of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

GingerLily wrote: »
    The bank sent you letters, did you ignore them?

I also got stung in a similar fashion many moons ago, never thought to blame the bank for the situation! How stupid of me.

It's always easier if it's someone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

You are 100% right about the underlined text above!
    However I think you must have been asleep when we had to bail out the big defaulters, the banks, to the tune of +/- €60 billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Ah the good old Celtic Tiger. Sure it's all the banks fault I can't pay for all these loans I took out. I just want to go on a shopping spree with my daughter...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Hard to decide if the post is a joke or if the OP is one of those people who need to be saved from themselves.

Also posting in AH knowing the type of replies they will get is a bit odd do they want to be castigated for their mistakes by AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ah the good old Celtic Tiger. Sure it's all the banks fault I can't pay for all these loans I took out. I just want to go on a shopping spree with my daughter...

Read his post. His problem is the fact that the didn't notify him. He's okay with his account being closed/overdraft being withdrawn, he'd just like to have been notified. The OP is 100% right.

I'm all for personal responsibility but I'm always surprised by the amount of callous pontificating that goes on in threads like this. Some hard, heartless bastards in this country.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Read his post. His problem is the fact that the didn't notify him. He's okay with his account being closed/overdraft being withdrawn, he'd just like to have been notified. The OP is 100% right.

I don't believe the OP wasn't informed, if he wasn't he may have a case for the omnibusman.

By going into arrears he had no right to keep his overdraft, but he should have been informed.

It was probably stated in the arrears letters he received but didn't read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Yes the banks threw money at people and made them sign loan forms.....will you grow up?
    People made choices, some of them bad ones...but they have a personal responsibility.

The banks were the supposed experts though. It’s still amazing that they have to be reigned in. If the central bank removed its oversight banks would be back to 5 times mortgages and 100%+ credit.

I think he’s complaining about being unable to access money more than anything.

I'm all for personal responsibility but I'm always surprised by the amount of callous pontificating that goes on in threads like this. Some hard, heartless bastards in this country.

I find it hard to believe that someone defaulting on a car loan didn't receive one letter.

I find it hard to believe that someone defaulting on a car loan didn't receive one letter.

He did, he didn't read them, and didn't read that they were revoking his overdraft which would have been in a condition of one of the contracts he signed.

Might be online these days.

The op says he was ok with his direct debits not working and his overdrafts being cancelled but that he had deposited money recently and was in the black. And that’s the money the bank refused to give him, to begin with because it was tied up with his loan account. Eventually they did.

What’s the legality in that?

He did, he didn't read them, and didn't read that they were revoking his overdraft which would have been in a condition of one of the contracts he signed.

He also didn't clarify what happened to the car. Lots of young fellows with credit union loans for beemers around the country who thought nothing of defaulting on the loan...while keeping the car. In fairness, that might depend on necessity, but it's one of the questions a Court will ask when these types of cases end up before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I can't see that he/she has said that?

I can't see that he/she has said that?

Lot of assumptions in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Nuanced. What a ****ing joke.

I very much doubt the bank closed his account and held funds because he missed a single car payment. It's far more likely he missed a good few and then ignored the letters.

Advertisement