Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankers May Not Be Nice People

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Any more excuses?

Double sided printing has become the norm - it saves money !

I have never received two sided printed communication from the bank prior to this.

What exactly am I claiming an excuse for?

I'm just highlighting what I believe to be unfair practices by a bank, but knock yourself out defending them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

bajer101 wrote: »
    I have never received two sided printed communication from the bank prior to this.

What exactly am I claiming an excuse for?

I'm just highlighting what I believe to be unfair practices by a bank, but knock yourself out defending them.

Maybe the notification of closing your account was on the back of the page.

I'm not defending them but you don't seem to grasp your part in all this and your acceptance of their terms and conditions.

But, keep shouting about the nasty bank.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    There's two sides of this...

Just like letters on one sheet of paper...;)

I'm not defending them but you don't seem to grasp your part in all this and your acceptance of their terms and conditions.

You are absolutely correct. The notice about closing my account was indeed on the back page of the notice in July. The back page! The first and only time that they ever sent me a communication that was double printed and it just so happens that the small print that they are alluding to just happened to be printed on the reverse side of the page. None of the bank statements that they sent me last month were printed double side.

My grasping of their terms and conditions is probably exactly the same as most other people's grasping of same terms and conditions and small print.

I'll just say it again. The bank closed my account without telling me. I had my debit card refused in a store in October while the account had funds, based on a letter in July saying that my accounts may be suspended. Knock yourselves out defending that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Banks are nasty. I've had family working in banking for many decades. They are nasty to the public, their employees and the state.

• Advertisement

The people who said I was full of shít, I made an offer a few posts ago to PM you a scan of the letter I got from the bank proving I was right, I got no reply. Still waiting from the banker defenders.

"Bankers May Not Be Nice People"

Kinda misleading. People working in Banks are just doing a job. Following some very strict procedures for dealing with customers...

Ah, the Nuremberg Defence...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The people who said I was full of sh I made an offer a few posts ago to PM you a scan of the letter I got from the bank proving I was right, I got no reply. Still waiting from the banker defenders.
    Why would people doubt you? Look at the news headlines right now. Banks are above the rules in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

You are absolutely correct. The notice about closing my account was indeed on the back page of the notice in July. The back page! The first and only time that they ever sent me a communication that was double printed and it just so happens that the small print that they are alluding to just happened to be printed on the reverse side of the page. None of the bank statements that they sent me last month were printed double side.

My grasping of their terms and conditions is probably exactly the same as most other people's grasping of same terms and conditions and small print.

I'll just say it again. The bank closed my account without telling me. I had my debit card refused in a store in October while the account had funds, based on a letter in July saying that my accounts may be suspended. Knock yourselves out defending that.

You seem reasonably intelligent so in opening an account you agree to abide by the terms and conditions, I don't understand why people are so surprised then when they are used to enforce the rules.

Same as any service provider, they'll all have terms and conditions. Not overly defending banks here but people need to take responsibility for these things, what do you think would be better, that the bank sit you down and read the terms and conditions to you line by line?

As for the last paragraph....you were told, you said you got a letter in July that was printed on a back page. Again, do you want someone to sit down and read letters to you?

You haven't taken any responsibility for any of this? I find that astounding for an adult in 2017. Before I get slated for defending banks, I have massive respect for those customers that challenged the banks re their tracker mortgages...that's somebody who knows what they agreed to so they knew the bank was in the wrong. I hope they get properly compensated as they deserve it.

This issue is acting like a child....."it's not my fault its theirs"

368100 wrote: »
    You seem reasonably intelligent so in opening an account you agree to abide by the terms and conditions, I don't understand why people are so surprised then when they are used to enforce the rules.

Same as any service provider, they'll all have terms and conditions. Not overly defending banks here but people need to take responsibility for these things, what do you think would be better, that the bank sit you down and read the terms and conditions to you line by line?

As for the last paragraph....you were told, you said you got a letter in July that was printed on a back page. Again, do you want someone to sit down and read letters to you?

You haven't taken any responsibility for any of this? I find that astounding for an adult in 2017. Before I get slated for defending banks, I have massive respect for those customers that challenged the banks re their tracker mortgages...that's somebody who knows what they agreed to so they knew the bank was in the wrong. I hope they get properly compensated as they deserve it.

This issue is acting like a child....."it's not my fault its theirs"

You are absolutely right. I had no business highlighting possible bad behaviour by a bank and offering proof of said bad practice. Best thing is to just leave the banks to it.

• Advertisement

You are absolutely right. I had no business highlighting possible bad behaviour by a bank and offering proof of said bad practice. Best thing is to just leave the banks to it.

What's the bad behaviour? Acting in accordance with terms and conditions that you agreed to in advance? After you defaulted on your loan? Every company in 2017 would do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I nearly could have missed the second page if I were a vulnerable person.

"sigh"

What? You're reaching.

Also, what were you doing shopping in Liffey Valley and eating out?
    You'd think being in arrears you'd cut your outgoings no?

Your whole attitude stinks.

What's the bad behaviour? Acting in accordance with terms and conditions that you agreed to in advance? After you defaulted on your loan? Every company in 2017 would do the same!

The bad behaviour I am highlighting is that the bank cancelled my account and card with no notice.

I'm thinking about raising a case with the Ombudsman as I feel I have been treated badly by a bank. You never know, the result of the case may benefit everyone except the banks.

The bad behaviour I am highlighting is that the bank cancelled my account and card with no notice.

Why did you say they did give notice in a July letter then.

Why did you say they did give notice in a July letter then.

Ah please, will you stop trying to defend a bank.

So no answer. Speaks volumes.

I defend who is in the right.....this isn't you.

You were notified and didn't read it, your own fault.

You need to join the real world and take some responsibility but no matter how logical anyone's argument is on the subject you just want people to pour sympathy over you so there's no point in me or anyone else trying to explain it further to you, you won't listen. I retract my earlier comment about being reasonably intelligent.

You also have no case with the ombudsman in light of the above.

Good luck in the future....you're going to need it.

Peace out.

So no answer. Speaks volumes.

I defend who is in the right.....this isn't you.

You were notified and didn't read it, your own fault.

You need to join the real world and take some responsibility but no matter how logical anyone's argument is on the subject you just want people to pour sympathy over you so there's no point in me or anyone else trying to explain it further to you, you won't listen. I retract my earlier comment about being reasonably intelligent.

You also have no case with the ombudsman in light of the above.

Good luck in the future....you're going to need it.

Peace out.

Well that escalated quickly!

You're almost referring me to the terms and conditions and small print of the bank's contract. Good man. Refer to that same small print on the tracker mortgages. Shower of gangsters.

And that's really the premise of the thead.

Someone who is defaulting on their loan and who wrongly assumed that he would continue to access, not an entitlement, but a facility extended to him, thought everyone would agree that the bank was wrong...because it's a bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The OP is obviously pissed to that their access to funds is under threat, we all would be.

They came on here with their story expecting a load of replies agreeing with them that the banks are bad and "you'll never guess what happened to me..", and "sure looks what happened to me" etc etc.

But the majority of what has been said is the complete opposite.

Now they are coming back with "I've never seen anything printed on both sides before"

I'm expecting a "you must work for the bank" reply any time soon.

Do the banks partake in sharp practices, do they hid the negative stuff in the small print (on the other side of the page) ?

Of course they do, but it's up to us the individuals to be aware of what our contract with them is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

GingerLily wrote: »
    He did, he didn't read them, and didn't read that they were revoking his overdraft which would have been in a condition of one of the contracts he signed.

So I was right, they did tell you in July but they just put it in the other side of the page! Thanks for clearing that up OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

You're almost referring me to the terms and conditions and small print of the bank's contract. Good man. Refer to that same small print on the tracker mortgages. Shower of gangsters.

Did you default on your loan because you were over charged on your mortgage? Was your tracker illegally removed from you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

By bad behaviour, you mean suspending your account after you went into arrears, and after warning you in July that your account may be suspended as per the t&cs you signed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You said that they informed you in July that it may be suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

But they did give you notice in July, you admitted it yourself a few posts back.

Stop trying to pass the blame - you’re a grown man, own up to your own mistakes and pay back your loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

CruelCoin wrote: »
    "sigh"

What? You're reaching.

Also, what were you doing shopping in Liffey Valley and eating out?
    You'd think being in arrears you'd cut your outgoings no?

Your whole attitude stinks.

The plebs should know their place. No eating until the arrears are paid. The banking managers who went into meeting rooms to deliberately break contracts and thus put themselves in arrears with their customers should be eating out instead. On bonuses.

I mean he clearly said he was paying back the loan. He clearly said he received no notice.

It’s amazing how protective people are of banks. They clearly tried to screw people with the trackers. They massively over lent. Anglo Irish was a corrupt organisation. And yet the belief continues that they are on the side of angels and the little man is to blame.

And he’s clearly not being truthful about that.

I’m not protecting anyone - I just have a serious aversion to people who refuse to take any personal responsibility for anything. It’s the biggest problem this country has at the moment and it goes right down to ordinary joe soap on the street refusing to acknowledge that he shouldn’t have taken that loan he could never repay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

And he’s clearly not being truthful about that.

I’m not protecting anyone - I just have a serious aversion to people who refuse to take any personal responsibility for anything. It’s the biggest problem this country has at the moment and it goes right down to ordinary joe soap on the street refusing to acknowledge that he shouldn’t have taken that loan he could never repay.

A far bigger problem is elites not taking responsibility. And getting off scott free.

I mean this tracker issue would be a criminal offence in many countries. It’s theft. It’s breach of contract. It’s being in arrears

• Advertisement

A far bigger problem is elites not taking responsibility. And getting off scott free.

I mean this tracker issue would be a criminal offence in many countries. It’s theft. It’s breach of contract. It’s being in arrears

I never said elites not taking responsibility wasn’t a problem but there’s no point in pretending the so called ‘ little man’s’ refusal to do the same isn’t also a problem.

We are all adults here, we must all own our choices.

Advertisement