Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do I find a job as a 16 year old?

Options
  • 15-10-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm broke. I have no clothes, no phone and my parents can do nothing about it. The only work experience I have is being an intern in a company and being a classroom assistant as part of my TY work experience. I go on websites like Indeed but every single job ad looks for someone with experience in customer service. How do I apply for a job? Do I just go into a shop and ask if they're hiring? Does anyone in Cork City know any part-time/Christmas vacancies?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Call into any busy restaurant/cafe. Ask for a position washing pots, clearing tables, restocking bars etc. They tend not.to.want much experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Do a simple, well laid out CV on a single page. Print out a few copies, then pop into shops, cafes etc, ask if they are hiring and if you can leave your CV. Be sure you are presentable, smiling, and enthusiastic. Rehearse a bit beforehand.
    Good luck!

Diziet wrote: »
    Do a simple, well laid out CV on a single page. Print out a few copies, then pop into shops, cafes etc, ask if they are hiring and if you can leave your CV. Be sure you are presentable, smiling, and enthusiastic. Rehearse a bit beforehand.
    Good luck!
    Do this. If they say they will get back to you or pass it to a manager and you don't hear anything call back to that place a few days later to follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

make an effort with your clothes when you go looking. young people in sports or very casual clothes dont look like they want
    a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jenniferrb wrote: »
    I'm broke. I have no clothes, no phone and my parents can do nothing about it. The only work experience I have is being an intern in a company and being a classroom assistant as part of my TY work experience. I go on websites like Indeed but every single job ad looks for someone with experience in customer service. How do I apply for a job? Do I just go into a shop and ask if they're hiring? Does anyone in Cork City know any part-time/Christmas vacancies?

Are you looking for part time work? Or an actual job because you've left school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Do you have any friends working? ask them to ask their employer, when I was in school I got a good few of my friends a job in a supermarket simply by saying to the boss I had a friend looking for a job.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

hotels always looking for staff. barwork, waitor, accomodation.

Drop you CV into them, if you get to speak to Duty Manager try to show you are mature for 16. Stand up straight, dress appropriately dropping in CV, if you are left waiting for a minute or 2 at front desk dont pull out your phone and start playing with it. Try give a good impression. You never know what Managers are walking by and see you.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Print out your CV and walk around shops, takeaways, restaurants and pubs looking for work as a glass collector, waiter, shop assistant, petrol station attendant etc.

Just flood your town with CV's and make sure to follow up with each location a few days later if you dont hear back.
    Try and ask to speak to a manager at each location.
    Also have a look around your area for jobs relating to newspaper deliveries or putting advertisements through letterboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I would also suggest just asking around your own circle - neighbours, relatives, friends of your parents, parents of your friends etc. My first job was behind the deli counter in a local petrol forecourt and got the job cos a few of the women working behind the counter knew my mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

When I was in school + this age anyone with a part time job worked in local supermarkets or McDonald's. Do up your C.V +drop it into local places like the ones mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

jenniferrb wrote: »

You have a good attitude and that's half the battle OP!

Print out some CV's - you can find some templates online. Start with a 1 paragraph summary of who you are, what you think your strengths are, what sort of work you are looking for.

Next, outline the work you did as an intern and as a classroom assistant - a couple of bulletpoints for each should be enough, then outline some of the skills you have or the extracurricular activities that you do. Make sure that you put some contact details on the CV so employers can get in touch if they want to have a chat with you! Also make sure everything is spelled correctly and get somebody else to check your grammer too.

Now, look for some potential workplaces - maybe there's some cafes or hotels or newsagents around your area? Go in, smartly dressed, with the printed out CV and ask if you can give it to the manager. If the manager appears, make sure to shake their hand, tell them who you are and explain that you are from the area and looking for a part-time job - you might not get too much conversation time with the manager because they tend to be busy people but it's your chance to make a good impression. If they are not around, ask whoever you are speaking with to send on your CV and ask if there might be a time you can follow up with them - be tenacious but polite at all times!

Best of luck to you OP!

Advertisement