Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane/Storm Ophelia Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm heading to tramore on Monday, thanks for the thread. Be safe folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Being so close to seeing the devastation in the Caribbean on the telly , its a little bit disconcerting alright.hopefully it will reduce in strength or go somewhere else,.mind yourself if driving Monday, if you can give it a miss, I'd do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Small gap into attic covered, batteries for torch being recharged. Do I need to fill my Jerry Cans with water? :)

Waterford now status RED. which is stay at home and be prepared level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I dont think staying at home is an option for many people who will still have to get to work,what time is this supposed to hit Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Waterford now status RED. which is stay at home and be prepared level.

Not a option for those of us that work in front line like hospitals or emergency services. We don’t just get to stay home as people have to be looked after

What I do wish is that someone would make a decision re schools etc I do not want to be left taking 2 children out in the morning in the middle of this to be minded . If a decision is made earlier I can at least organize childcare early and sent them there tonight when it’s safe . People don’t seem to be taking this seriously my elderly parents think I am mad and that sure it’s only a storm why would they close schools etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

As Waterford has now been given a red warning for tomorrow, I'm wondering will the schools be closing?

Might be worth posting if anyone gets a text message from their local school/ college/ creche just to keep folks updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'd imagine if we get red status schools will be likely to close-the Independent have quoted a Dept of Ed guidelines which suggest they should in such weather.

However where are people seeing the status as Red for waterford now? RT Met Eireann and Indo still seem to show Orange?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

sillysocks wrote: »

However where are people seeing the status as Red for waterford now? RT Met Eireann and Indo still seem to show Orange?

Waterford updated to Red warning about half an hour ago.

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Anyone with children would be well advised to make arrangements to keep their children out of school tomorrow, regardless the present warning status.

Safety first .....

• Advertisement

5 PM tomorrow - the brighter the higher the max wind speed - we are in the 150-160 Kmh gusts zone

430650.png

RTÉ say the Dept of Education recommend schools in red zone close tomorrow so I'd imagine most will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Ursuline secondary is closed tomorrow. Just got the text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Ursuline secondary is closed tomorrow. Just got the text.

Nice user name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Donal55 wrote: »
    Nice user name.

Well breezysoutheast was taken!

Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Probably a bad idea to put the wheelie bins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

To help track progress

http://www.meteoearth.com/#/,-9.46,42.62,5.31,4,1,1,1,0,0,time=1508080265

Winds abating somewhat as it approaches us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

is WIT closed tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

longshanks wrote: »
    Probably a bad idea to put the wheelie bins out.

That's what I was just wondering,really need to get the black bin emptied.
    Rang south east recycling but no answer from them

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

aziz wrote:
    That's what I was just wondering,really need to get the black bin emptied. Rang south east recycling but no answer from them

I sent Oxigen a message on Facebook bit no reply so far. Will update if I get a reply.

Mercy primary and secondary are both closed tomorrow.

• Advertisement

All schools have been told by Dept of Education that they are to close.

Edit.... all schools in red areas , so all Waterford schools!

Boss just texted - take the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

is WIT closed tomorrow?

No info yet. Decision awaited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

bp_me wrote: »

Since dept of education closed schools, you'd imagine they'll do same

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

bp_me wrote:

Max Powers wrote:
    Since dept of education closed schools, you'd imagine they'll do same

Every third level In Munster closed except WIT. Students union very unhappy about it and have told students not to travel or attend. Funny thing is all facilities are closed like shops canteen etc but still college keeping a waiting brief. No doubt it's money related in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Some idiots in charge of making decisions in that college. Even if it stays open it will be like a ghost town tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Everybody should make sure to secure garden furniture, trampolines, bins, etc.

Also, I wouldn't leave any pet outside in kennel for example.

I'm slightly shocked anyone would give a hoot what WIT say - take the day off. If you feel bad do some assignment work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

WIT closed now
    Waterford Institute of Technology closed Monday 16 October due to Status Red Weather Warning
    Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) has announced that due to the particular risks associated with the Status Red weather alert and the potential risks to staff and students WIT will be closed on Monday, 16 October 2017. All campus buildings will be closed, and will re-open on Tuesday, 17 October 2017. O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Any factories make any decision yet, I really doubt they will close but if this storm is as bad as they say then could put people's lives at risk who have to travel a distance to work.

Advertisement