Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bitcoin breaks $5,000 mark

• 12-10-2017 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Reuters Article

That's pretty incredible. So how high can it go? And when will it all come tumbling down? What's driving the value so high in such a short period of time? Is it linked to more splits coming down the line?
    Bitcoin, the original and still the biggest cryptocurrency, has been on a tear recently, rallying nearly 75 percent in barely a month.

It has chalked up a more than fivefold increase in price since the start of the year.

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Arghh - I was going to buy it at under a hundred but didn't, then when it hit a thousand I thought I'm definitely too late to bother - what to do, what to do:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Arghh - I was going to buy it at under a hundred but didn't, then when it hit a thousand I thought I'm definitely too late to bother - what to do, what to do:mad::mad::mad:

Stock market is due a massive implosion....money will flow into crypto then. Jump in now... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Arghh - I was going to buy it at under a hundred but didn't, then when it hit a thousand I thought I'm definitely too late to bother
    Bought fifty coins at $30 each in February 2013, sold them six weeks later when the price hit $100. Believed that the price would never ever go higher, and was delighted with the gain.
    Later that year in December, I bought back in at $630.
    Lesson learnt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have never bought any myself, I was given €100 of it as payment a couple years ago (they probably thought it would go down and begged me to accept payment in bitcoin) and well that's worth a lot more now! I've just left it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Bought fifty coins at $30 each in February 2013, sold them six weeks later when the price hit $100. Believed that the price would never ever go higher, and was delighted with the gain.
    Later that year in December, I bought back in at $630.
    Lesson learnt.

Nice... On both buy in points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Really a significant milestone for me, i am not sure it will tumble down now, sure there may be a retraction but the benchmark has been set. It will always be the daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I wonder if ethereum will ever move far beyond the $300 range, or has it seen its best days and is doomed to a long slow decline?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Absolutely fascinating that it has reached 5,000. What a journey and a what a beast! I really wish I bit the bullet all those times over the past few years but I was too chicken and afraid of it!! Heck even when it dropped to 3500 a couple of weeks ago I should have bought! Argh!
    Only got in recently so a nice little profit but ETH and other ALTs are dragging me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 grazinggreen

Buy the dips! We're only just starting to see institutional money come in to the market now so its certainly not too late IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Litecoin following - above €50 now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Its absolutely unbelievable how it's climbed this year.. I tip my hat to anyone who jumped on the bandwagon a few years ago and hung on for the ride. You guys must be smiling all the way to the bank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I wonder if ethereum will ever move far beyond the $300 range, or has it seen its best days and is doomed to a long slow decline?

There have been security holes found in the Ethereum code. That is holding it back a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

Where's the best place to buy Bitcoin?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Litecoin following - above €50 now

Not anymore. Was briefly back in the green on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    So how high can it go?

Hopefully high enough so I can cash out for a Tesla (good bit off yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I bought @ 800 and at the time thought I was too late. Some people are thinking NOW is too late. It's not. It will keep rising over the next 25 years to amazing levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

GarIT wrote: »
    There have been security holes found in the Ethereum code. That is holding it back a lot.
    Such as? Are you talking about the wallet hacks a while back? That was a vunerability in the code written by the people who built the wallets, it was nothing to do with the Ethereum blockchain...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ciaranimo

So..... is it too late to buy in? New to Crypto and I have been learning as much as I could and been waiting for another little dip back down towards 3k over the last couple weeks......but that does not seem to be happening! Quite the opposite in fact

What are peoples thoughts on buying in now? I plan on buying for the long term and not day trading/ swing trading.

Any thoughts appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I bought @ 800 and at the time thought I was too late. Some people are thinking NOW is too late. It's not. It will keep rising over the next 25 years to amazing levels.

Is that because the people who currently have it keep telling the people who don't to buy? :D

The wise adage is not to invest what you can't afford to lose, so I'm out, but I do wonder where it'll level off or fall. It is fascinating...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

A beautiful morning for investors. Technicals very strong on this move, we could have a good bit to go on this move yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,428 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I don't hold any Crypto directly but I do hold a Crypto ETN that I bought into in September.
    I'm currently sitting on a 30% profit on that since early Sept, and am happy to let it sit and hopefully accumulate some more value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Ciaranimo wrote: »
    So..... is it too late to buy in? New to Crypto and I have been learning as much as I could and been waiting for another little dip back down towards 3k over the last couple weeks......but that does not seem to be happening! Quite the opposite in fact

What are peoples thoughts on buying in now? I plan on buying for the long term and not day trading/ swing trading.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I used to think that Bitcoin would hit $100,000 in the next 20-30 years time, now I`m convinced it will get there within the next 3 years

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

banie01 wrote: »
    I don't hold any Crypto directly but I do hold a Crypto ETN that I bought into in September.
    I'm currently sitting on a 30% profit on that since early Sept, and am happy to let it sit and hopefully accumulate some more value.

What ETN did you buy?

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    I used to think that Bitcoin would hit $100,000 in the next 20-30 years time, now I`m convinced it will get there within the next 3 years

Wonder if that happened would it destroy the next few largest cryptos, or are they more likely to scale up alongside btc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,428 ✭✭✭✭banie01

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    What ETN did you buy?

ISIN Code: SE0007525332
    There are 2 options available, 1 denominated in € and the other in Kroner.
    It is issued by XBT Provider AB and traded on Nasdaq OMX.
    Fact sheet is available at https://xbtprovider.com/fact_sheet_d...t_final_a4.pdf
    Annual fee is 2.5% calculated on a daily basis.
    As the fact sheet lists the assets of the fund are held entirely in BTC it may useful for some to allow BTC access/exposure via their "normal" broker account

• Registered Users Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Someone explain this to me.
    If one bitcoin is worth 5000$ then how to I buy something for a dollar. Is there different coins at different values

• Registered Users Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Feels like fantasy money that will never be used

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Someone explain this to me.
    If one bitcoin is worth 5000$ then how to I buy something for a dollar. Is there different coins at different values

You can use a fraction of a coin to buy somethign, so can buy something for 1 dollar if you want for 0.00017 bitcoin, doesn't ahve the same limitation regular money has in that sense, can be split up more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Wonder if that happened would it destroy the next few largest cryptos, or are they more likely to scale up alongside btc?

Might not destroy them, just that they would become less relevant. Ethereum is the most vulnerable, their are developers working on smart contract functionality to Bitcoin, if that happens then its bye bye Ether.
    Ripple is just a centralized Bank bullsh1te coin which they can use to at anytime to remove all the investor funds
    Litecoin is Bitcoins small Brother/ guinea pig which sums it up really.
    Dash is another Centralized coin but could get adopted by Paypal.
    Nem, monero and Neo are superior technology/ alternative tech but the developers, money and population are all backing Bitcoin at the end of the day

• Advertisement

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Might not destroy them, just that they would become less relevant. Ethereum is the most vulnerable, their are developers working on smart contract functionality to Bitcoin, if that happens then its bye bye Ether.
    Ripple is just a centralized Bank bullsh1te coin which they can use to at anytime to remove all the investor funds
    Litecoin is Bitcoins small Brother/ guinea pig which sums it up really.
    Dash is another Centralized coin but could get adopted by Paypal.
    Nem, monero and Neo are superior technology/ alternative tech but the developers, money and population are all backing Bitcoin at the end of the day

as values currently stand i have about 40% BTC, 20% ETH, 15% LTC, 10% NEO and the rest split between ripple, omg, cvc, ark and vertcoin.

only have 3,000 ripple and I'd probably dump if it reached $.50, don't really have any long term interest in hanging on to it.

Advertisement