Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭dogbert27

al87987 wrote: »
    Weinstein is an old sick bastard, no doubting any of that.

But I have to say whenever these stories of decades of abuse or scandal come out I always think to myself why didn't they just tell the truth earlier.

I hear this stuff about being scared, he had power in the industry, potential lawsuits etc...

I am of the opinion that if you see a serious crime, you report it. If you are the VICTIM of serious crime, you HAVE to report it. Otherwise you're somewhat on the hook for any further crimes perpetrated by aforementioned sicko.

I'm not saying that silent victims are in the same bracket as this creep but your silence has helped lead to more victims, more crime and damaged how many more lives.

Sometimes you just have to tell the truth, regardless of personal consequences.

That's why I think it's a bit hypocritical of Rose McGowan to be so vocal on twitter calling out all the other actors and actresses who should have spoken out in her opinion.

The situation with McGowan was supposed to have happened in 1997 but she still "appeared" to have no problem being around Weinstein up to a decade later.

From 2003 (I think)
    rose-weinstein.jpg

From 2007
    harvey-weinstein-and-rose-mcgowan-picture-id81133338?s=594x594&w=125

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

al87987 wrote: »
    Weinstein is an old sick bastard, no doubting any of that.

But I have to say whenever these stories of decades of abuse or scandal come out I always think to myself why didn't they just tell the truth earlier.

I hear this stuff about being scared, he had power in the industry, potential lawsuits etc...

I am of the opinion that if you see a serious crime, you report it. If you are the VICTIM of serious crime, you HAVE to report it. Otherwise you're somewhat on the hook for any further crimes perpetrated by aforementioned sicko.

I'm not saying that silent victims are in the same bracket as this creep but your silence has helped lead to more victims, more crime and damaged how many more lives.

Sometimes you just have to tell the truth, regardless of personal consequences.

I think it's very hard to grasp that some people still don't seem to get it or don't want to get it although there are some very good explanations here as to why 'people don't speak up'.
    Did you read the posts and links here about people who did speak up and nothing came out of it? obviously not. did you read the story of the italian girl who went to the NYPD after being molested by Weinstein and what happened then? Obviously not.

Also, I think many people here are not aware about the legal process of getting someone arrested for sexual harassement. They seem to think you can just go to the police, 'speak up', and the scumbag gets arrested.
    No, believe it or not, the victim has to proof the sexual harassment and that involves witnesses most of the time. And where does sexual harassment happens? On town squares, on the time square in NYC in bright daylight?
    No, surprise, surprise, it happens with no other people around, in private places of the bullies, so no proof of anything.

I'm all in for detesting women who knowingly play along with guys like this Weinstein but the sentiment here from some people who also condemn women who speak up just now and not earlier obviously never experienced sexual harassment in workplaces and what comes with this (and what not.i.e chances to bring this bullies to court), because this happens not only in Hollywood, this ****e happens in every country, everywhere in the world, in every workfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Google "Hillary Rodham Posture Photos".

brevity wrote: »
    I'm wondering do some of them not consider what Polanski did as "wrong"?

I mean David Lynch has made some movies that hint at what's going on in Hollywood but then he was in support of Polanski too.

See Whoopi Goldberg, she said that what Polanski did, wasnt 'rape rape'...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I'm wondering do some of them not consider what Polanski did as "wrong"?

I mean David Lynch has made some movies that hint at what's going on in Hollywood but then he was in support of Polanski too.

I've never understood that situation.

Polanski actually committed a very serious crime and fled to avoid responsibility. He is hailed as a hero, and people start campaigns to have him cleared at the same time they are crucifying Mel Gibson for being a stupid drunk.

Do they think what he did was wrong might not be the right question. Do they care one way or the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Jake1 wrote: »
    See Whoopi Goldberg, she said said what Polanski did, wasnt 'rape rape'...

No, because she was just a whore. :mad:

EDIT : I have just realised that statement could be misinterpreted. I meant that would be the view of certain people because she was a nobody and a prostitute. Polanski is a somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Polanski actually committed a very serious crime and fled to avoid responsibility. He is hailed as a hero, and people start campaigns to have him cleared at the same time they are crucifying Mel Gibson for being a stupid drunk.

Do they think what he did was wrong might not be the right question. Do they care one way or the other?

I don't know what their logic is for ignoring what he did

More allegations have come out about him recently.

Look up Victor Salva - another director who gets away with stuff. Plenty of rumours about Brian Singer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

Is Weinstein just going to be the fall guy here? As in he'll take the heat and the flak and when it dies down it'll be as you were?

This stuff is rife but will the rest of the sick fcuks be outed?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Mel Gibson made Anti- Semitic comments, and since Hollywood is built upon Jewish money he was shunned for that over being shunned for being a stupid aggressive drunk.

sonic85 wrote: »
    Is Weinstein just going to be the fall guy here? As in he'll take the heat and the flak and when it dies down it'll be as you were?

This stuff is rife but will the rest of the sick fcuks be outed?
    More than likely. Couple of others will probably go down with him, maybe one other "big" star but more likely a couple of middling types.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I wonder is Weinstein the tip of the iceberg in Hollywood and more revelations about other people will come.

Maybe some people feel the time is right to come forward about other producers/directors/actors and they will be believed.

That said, a lot of people clearly knew what Weinstein was up to and decided for personal reasons such as their careers to say nothing. These people should be driven out of the industry too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Grayson wrote: »
    So someone saying something about trump is as bad as a serial sexual assaulter?

To a right winger or a Trump supporter of course. That they have to turn this into a "liberal left" bashing thread is indication enough of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Jayop wrote: »
    To a right winger or a Trump supporter of course. That they have to turn this into a "liberal left" bashing thread is indication enough of that.

There is always point scoring in these sort of things.

There are pictures of The Trump Family with Weinstein as well and Jeffrey Epstein is known to be a friend of Trump's. No one comes out clean in this, that's why everyone is being cagey about what they say and when.

The whole thing is a sordid mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I don't buy into this excuse of 'afraid' of speaking up or being ruined etc. The guy is a freak and a weirdo and lots of people are now saying so. None of them had the balls to speak about it as it's been going on for years to basically protect the little thing they have going on in Hollywood. All complicit in it and they know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Look up Victor Salva - another director who gets away with stuff. Plenty of rumours about Brian Singer as well.

How Victor Salva is allowed to work and not a thing is said about it is totally bizarre. The rumours around Bryan Singer are very, very disturbing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Nope that's not what i said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Nope that's not what i said.

You said it makes you feel just as sick or something to that effect so yeah it is pretty much what you said and if you were being honest then it reflects badly on you tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    These type of people make me sick as much as the carry on of Weinstein himself.

I'm just chuckling at the irony of that post coming from someone who often goes to pains to tell us all how wonderful is, given Trump has been up in court for rape and sexual harrassment/assault more than once and who typically settles these cases out of court (which as per Trump is an admission of guilt) as well as frequently wandering into changing rooms at beauty pageants for a good perv.

There is no moral highground for Trump here as much as some of his fans have been trying to use this as an opportunity as such, and his past says all that needs to be said - he won't be cleaning this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't buy into this excuse of 'afraid' of speaking up or being ruined etc. The guy is a freak and a weirdo and lots of people are now saying so. None of them had the balls to speak about it as it's been going on for years to basically protect the little thing they have going on in Hollywood. All complicit in it and they know it.

Anyone with any real sense would actually accept that expecting actors and actresses to throw away careers and millions in income for doing what you think would be the right thing is naive. Moral high horses don't keep you fed or make you a multi millionaire. Bradley Manning and Edward Snowden are good examples of how well received whistle-blowers tend to be.

The balance of power was so enormously stacked against them, and abusers are careful to abuse in their lairs, safe from witness. There's also the well vocalized threat that no one would believe you, and if they did, you can't prove it, and I can ruin you.

They speak out now because there's safety in numbers, and they know for sure they're not the only ones and that they didn't overreact to what happened, other people were confused, afraid, and fearful of their futures, and with an army of other voices behind them, they'll probably be heard now in a way they didn't think they would be before.

It's not that hard to understand, should one care to try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Several people came out about it, it's been posted multiple times in the thread. There's even an audio recording of him harassing a woman who was wearing a wire after having gone to the NYPD. What came of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

anna080 wrote: »
    Mel Gibson made Anti- Semitic comments, and since Hollywood is built upon Jewish money he was shunned for that over being shunned for being a stupid aggressive drunk.

He's been in from the cold for a while now. Simply because his movies do good box office. That's the bottom line in Hollywood, if you make money for the studios then everything is eventually forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yep, plenty in it. Sure look at that Access Hollywood tapes last year where Trump explains how it all works, moves on em like a bitch, grab em by the pussy, sure when your a star they let you do it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

optogirl wrote: »
    Now that Matt Damon has daughters he realises predatory behaviour is wrong :(.... all this 'as the father of daughters' shi*e grinds my gears. Oh, now that YOUR daughters might be at risk it's important. Other women just not as valuable eh?

Ya let's not forget who the real bad guy is here, Matt Damon.

Superb investigative work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Ya let's not forget who the real bad guy is here, Matt Damon.

Superb investigative work

In what way did I suggest that Damon was the bad guy here? I merely said this 'take' on this stuff is irritating to me. I wasn't aware that there was any investigative work required by me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

beside all of this atrocities I would really like to know what brought this guy to fall. what or what not he did and who was or felt affected and had the power to call it quits with this guy.

It must be a very, very influential person or group. known to the public or not known, working behind the curtains.

we 'ordinary people' will most likely never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

tara73 wrote: »
    beside all of this atrocities I would really like to know what brought this guy to fall. what or what not he did and who was or felt affected and had the power to call it quits with this guy.

It must be a very, very influential person or group. known to the public or not known, working behind the curtains.

It was the A-Team. Or Liam Neeson. Or Liam Neeson in the A-Team.

Perhaps it was simply the weight of numbers. There are only so many out of court settlements any company will carry before questions are asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

I think it's very hard to grasp that some people still don't seem to get it or don't want to get it although there are some very good explanations here as to why 'people don't speak up'.
    Did you read the posts and links here about people who did speak up and nothing came out of it? obviously not. did you read the story of the italian girl who went to the NYPD after being molested by Weinstein and what happened then? Obviously not.

Also, I think many people here are not aware about the legal process of getting someone arrested for sexual harassement. They seem to think you can just go to the police, 'speak up', and the scumbag gets arrested.
    No, believe it or not, the victim has to proof the sexual harassment and that involves witnesses most of the time. And where does sexual harassment happens? On town squares, on the time square in NYC in bright daylight?
    No, surprise, surprise, it happens with no other people around, in private places of the bullies, so no proof of anything.

I'm all in for detesting women who knowingly play along with guys like this Weinstein but the sentiment here from some people who also condemn women who speak up just now and not earlier obviously never experienced sexual harassment in workplaces and what comes with this (and what not.i.e chances to bring this bullies to court), because this happens not only in Hollywood, this ****e happens in every country, everywhere in the world, in every workfield.

I am completely aware of the Italian girl story. She told her story to the police, as she had done twice before in Italy on separate cases (once with Berlusconi), so fair play to her. If she had not gotten cold feet when going to his bedroom while under surveillance then this would probably have come out years ago. Don't presume I'm uninformed because I don't have the same opinion as you.

Unfortunately these are the lengths one must go to when taking on positions of power, you need indisputable evidence when going against money and influence.

Of course you have to have proof in some way, otherwise you could slander anybody with rape allegations. Let us not forget that in the eyes of the public to be accused of rape, is to be a rapist. A DA in America would not touch this case after the Strauss-Khan affair without proof/evidence.

The funny thing is evidence goes out the window in the face of insurmountable allegations which is what has happened now. Strength in numbers.

One more point: I don't like it at all when hush money is accepted as a payoff to stay quiet in these situations. Very hard to take the moral high ground when you've already put a price on your dignity, pride and indignation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

No, believe it or not, the victim has to proof the sexual harassment......

lol. Proof needed in order to charge someone with a crime. Whatever next :P

Advertisement