Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-18 Champions Cup

Options
  • 11-10-2017 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Current Betting:
    Sarseholes 23/10
    Toulon 15/2
    Leinster 15/2
    Clermont 17/2
    Montpellier 9/1
    La Rochelle 14/1
    Munster 14/1
    Racing 92 20/1
    Scarlets 20/1
    Wasps 25/1

Round 1 fixtures

7:45 Ulster vs Wasps BT
    1:00 Leinster vs Montpellier Sky
    3:15 Racing 92 vs Leicester BT
    5:30 Harlequins vs La Rochelle Sky
    5:30 Bath vs Benetton Sky
    7:45 Exeter vs Glasgow BT
    1:00 Castres vs Munster Sky
    3:15 Toulon vs Scarlets Sky
    5:30 Saints vs Sarseholes BT
    5:30 Ospreys vs Clermont BT

Who will win the Champions Cup? 80 votes

Harlequins
    0%
    La Rochelle
    0%
    Ulster
    1%
    LostArt 1 vote
    Wasps
    3%
    nordydanUtah_SaintScythica 3 votes
    Clermont
    0%
    Northampton Saints
    6%
    nc6000murphym7aloooofvisatorroReps4jesus 5 votes
    Ospreys
    1%
    markest 1 vote
    Sarseholes
    0%
    Exeter Chiefs
    37%
    impr0vIompairclevtrevmark_jmcmolloyjhscott1974RAKMRekop dogDiabhal Beagthomond2006Doeshedareerrlloydvienne86Blut2IcemancomethQuintisCookiemunsterendabob1newbie11RugbyLover123 30 votes
    Glasgow Warriors
    1%
    wp_rathead 1 vote
    Leinster
    2%
    RichieRich89Elvisjuice 2 votes
    Montpellier
    20%
    dreginWintersbren2002kenmcjohnmolloy554blackdog2phily2002yosser hughesCatFromHueQuint2010jaansuGlass Prison 1214SynodeThe Pheasant2Yeah_Rightalwald 16 votes
    Castres
    16%
    [Deleted User]randomname2005razorbluntRiskymovesydthebeatRigor MortiswarafbilstonPeregrineBridge93FellasFellashomecouldbhereFACECUTTR 13 votes
    Leicester Tigers
    0%
    Munster
    0%
    Racing 92
    7%
    ScrubsfanChrisMontjuicDerTierarztBlack_NinjaCanyon86Erik Shin 6 votes
    Bath
    0%
    Benetton
    1%
    [Deleted User] 1 vote
    Toulon
    0%
    Scarlets
    1%
    LuckyGent88 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Exeter Chiefs
    Sarries for me again this season. I just can't see anyone else beating them except Clermont in the pool stages. I felt dirty selecting them in the poll though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Montjuic

Racing 92
    I'm heading to the Castres V Munster match this Sunday.

Is there much of a Munster crowd going over?

What's Castre like for the craic? Good Irish pubs etc?? Any recommendations?

I live on the continent so am a bit out of the loop.

Castres
    Said it in another thread but Scarlets / Toulon should be a cracker.

Exeter v Glasgow another one.

Some great rugby on this weekend. I'm gonna need a bigger fridge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Northampton Saints
    Hard to see past Sarries but would love to see Clermont get over the line. I wonder if Exeter could manage to get out of their group, could they put a run together? 33/1 to win it. That group is looking incredibly tough tho...

Castres
    aloooof wrote: »
    Hard to see past Sarries but would love to see Clermont get over the line. I wonder if Exeter could manage to get out of their group, could they put a run together? That group is looking incredibly tough tho...

I think the winner will come from Sarries, Clermont or Montpellier. However there are difficult pools here so it's not clear cut at all and coming out second is a very challenging ask with an away quarter final.

At the moment I don't think any of the Irish provinces have shown enough to be contenders. Big performances this weekend might change that but on paper you would have to imagine that only Munster are looking likely for play offs as their group is extremely soft. Ulster have a decent chance to top their group if they perform up to the standard of their squad.

Leinster looked last year like they needed one more season and would be up there, but have had a slow start and have injury worries in critical positions so I'm less confident, especially given the absolute group of death they find themselves in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Castres
    Gone for Montpellier but their pool is probably the nastiest of the lot so who knows really

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Montpellier
    It's gonna be Leinster.

Imo we were unlucky not to win it 2 out of the last 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Exeter Chiefs
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's gonna be Leinster.

Imo we were unlucky not to win it 2 out of the last 3 years

I'll have some of what you're smoking please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Montpellier
    We didn't start the Semi against Clermont until the game was 20 mins old last season and then there's the disallowed try in that game too. Not many refs would pick that one up.

Two years ago Toulon only beat us cos of an intercept try in extra time. A bit more composure and that pass wouldn't have been thrown and/or Jimmy G would have gotten that drop goal in normal time.

If we won either of those Semi's we would have won the final.

Castres
    We didn't start the Semi against Clermont until the game was 20 mins old last season and then there's the disallowed try in that game too. Not many refs would pick that one up.

Two years ago Toulon only beat us cos of an intercept try in extra time. A bit more composure and that pass wouldn't have been thrown and/or Jimmy G would have gotten that drop goal in normal time.

Agree re Toulon but think we'd have struggled against Sarries last year. No way I'd be saying it's clear cut, I'd have had Sarries as favourites.

• Advertisement

Northampton Saints
    Agree re Toulon but think we'd have struggled against Sarries last year. No way I'd be saying it's clear cut, I'd have had Sarries as favourites.

I don't think Toulon would've been clear cut either, tbh. It was the tail end of that Toulon team, but wasn't it also Matt O'Connor's last season where Leinster had a very poor season in the Pro12? Huge leap from CatFromHue to suggest Leinster would've won both, had they won the semi-final in any case.

EDIT: I'm thinking of 3 season ago, aren't I...

Castres
    I don't think Toulon would've been clear cut either, tbh. It was the tail end of that Toulon team, but wasn't it also Matt O'Connor's last season where Leinster had a very poor season in the Pro12? Huge leap from CatFromHue to suggest Leinster would've won both, had they won the semi-final in any case.

EDIT: I'm thinking of 3 season ago, aren't I...

It was Matt O'Connors last year. We weren't going well at all and our squad wasn't the best but the Tuesday before the game Heaslip called the team together and they laid out a gameplan.

We were very close on two occasions to winning that game, and Clermont folded in the final. I think had we won that semi I'd have had us as favourites to win.

The following season we didn't get out of our pool and had a heavy away loss to Wasps. Obviously last year we went out in the semi away to Clermont.

Exeter Chiefs
    The following season we didn't get out of our pool and had a heavy away loss to Wasps. Obviously last year we went out in the semi away to Clermont.

Home and away losses to Wasps and Toulon, and an away loss to Bath. Only won 1/6. Probably the worst season Leinster have had in Europe.

Northampton Saints
    Home any away losses to Wasps and Toulon, and an away loss to Bath. Only won 1/6. Probably the worst season Leinster have had in Europe.

It's coming back to me now, lost the first round in the RDS to Wasps and it was downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Exeter Chiefs

That Madigan pass still crushes me. He got a lot of stick for that intercept, but if it went to hand we were in in the corner. Game on inches...

I think we would have struggled badly against Sarries. Our backs had the capability of making some serious hay that day, and our forwards would have been able to match them, but Sarries are very good at playing how they want. They would have starved us and it would have worked I'd say.

Look at how Ulster picked us apart at the end of last season. We were toothless that day

Castres
    It's coming back to me now, lost the first round in the RDS to Wasps and it was downhill from there.

I'm actually quite worried about a repeat of that this year.

Our group really is relentless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Just means we get a few of the better teams out of the way early on. We get that done and it's a procession from there on.

Northampton Saints
    It's less likely to be a group that a runner-up comes out of, so really small margin for error. Every point could count.

Exeter Chiefs

Yeah it's a ridiculously tough group. Montpellier have lost their two toughest away games so far in T14 so hopefully they don't travel well again but it's entirely conceivable that Leinster are 0 from 2 by next weekend.

Castres
    Yeah it's a ridiculously tough group. Montpellier have lost their two toughest away games so far in T14 so hopefully they don't travel well again but it's entirely conceivable that Leinster are 0 from 2 by next weekend.

Yeah I agree. That said, I think we need a few hard fought games to get the blood flowing and we've always done well coming out of tough groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Castres
    Have a sneaky feeling for Montpellier. If an Irish team doesn't do it I'd like to see Ruan win it. Saracens will take some beating again though and no doubt Clermont will be there or thereabouts. If Leinster can get out of their pool then they are definitely genuine contenders as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Castres
    Just watching BT's preview show and saw a clip of Sam Simmons. That guy is seriously quick for a No.8. He sounds like some prospect.

• Administrators Posts: 53,431 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Have a sneaky feeling for Montpellier. If an Irish team doesn't do it I'd like to see Ruan win it. Saracens will take some beating again though and no doubt Clermont will be there or thereabouts. If Leinster can get out of their pool then they are definitely genuine contenders as well.

Montpellier are my preference to win it this year because I know Ulster are too ****e to come close to winning it.

Giving up my ticket for the match on Saturday, can't be watching Pienaar playing for someone else. I'm protesting, I know my absence will upset Nucifora.

Montpellier
    you don't give up your ticket, you take a knee

now it's a long game so maybe wear some knee pads under your trousers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Exeter Chiefs
    awec wrote: »
    Montpellier are my preference to win it this year because I know Ulster are too ****e to come close to winning it.

Giving up my ticket for the match on Saturday, can't be watching Pienaar playing for someone else. I'm protesting, I know my absence will upset Nucifora.

Don't worry, we'll post plenty pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Exeter Chiefs
    I know people are inundated with Fantasy Rugby options, but there is an EPCR run one for this tournament. I feel like 9 rounds isn't too much commitment. Anyone interested?

http://www.epcrugby.com/fantasy

EDIT: The prizes are pretty decent too, but no idea how many people will sign up.

Castres
    errlloyd wrote: »
    I know people are inundated with Fantasy Rugby options, but there is an EPCR run one for this tournament. I feel like 9 rounds isn't too much commitment. Anyone interested?

EDIT: The prizes are pretty decent too, but no idea how many people will sign up.

Yes

Castres
    errlloyd wrote: »

Did up my team over lunch. If anyone sets up a boards league let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Exeter Chiefs
    I went through the fixtures there to decide who are clear winners this weekend. Honestly, for me, there is only one easy prediction. 9 fifty fifty games. I love the Cup. Rugby Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Wasps
    bt sport have a reasonably good podcast about the cup. just dallaghio(sp?) and bod talking through the group's.

they are championing Glasgow and scarlets quite a bit which is good to see.

not seen many other decent podcasts though

Advertisement