Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ZCash (ZEC) Opinions

Options
  • 06-10-2017 8:57pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm curious to see what peoples opinions are on ZCash (ZEC) and Ripple and if they will go anywhere.

I've been playing around with mining and crypto currencies for a while and I'm looking at the less obvious ones that might be worth investing in, ZEC, XRP (Ripple) which don't automatically come to mind when people discuss crypto currencies.

I know Ripple can't be mined but ZEC can be and even with a very basic miner, its interesting how much you can learn from making small adjustments with the Operating system, the GPUs and various other components.

So what do people think of these and are there any others ones worth looking at?

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I don't know a lot, i bought in the recent dip for around 140 and pretty much the next day it was over 200 so i was happy.

Ripple i'm more familar with. Nice 25% rise there too. From everything i've seen of Ripple if it can become an option for banking transactions it will do well. It doesn't need to take over from Swift, even if it is just got 10-20%.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah I got in on Ripple early enough and very happy with the progress being made. Long may it last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Bitcoin is sucking the life out of all the other coins right now :D

Even ripple has had a slight correction in the past few hours.

Edit : Am I correct in saying that the Bitcoin Gold fork happens on 25th October?
    Should be interesting to see how high BTC can go in the next 2 weeks....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Bitcoin is sucking the life out of all the other coins right now :D

Even ripple has had a slight correction in the past few hours.

Edit : Am I correct in saying that the Bitcoin Gold fork happens on 25th October?

There is a fork coming soon, not sure of the dates. But Bitcoin broke the $4500 mark this week, was reading about it today and its crazy where its going but at this stage its way too expensive for me to jump on the bandwagon. I had a chance when it was $10 a coin to buy 100 of them off a friend who needed the cash and I had too much going on at the time finance wise to have that type of cash lying around to risk and I wasn't borrowing it either. Could have been mortgage free right about now if i had :P:P

There is also a big conference happening next week and there is an expectation that a big announcement around Ripple will be made so I reckon it might spike or sink after that. Who knows?

ripple coference

But have heard this before and the results were not so promising :rolleyes:

ripple-price-sinks-announcement-doesnt-live-hype

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

ZeroThreat wrote: »

The Bitcoin Gold fork has already happened -- the dev(s) are already pre-mining the coins since Oct 1st. It will become "open" on Oct 25th.
    Frankly, the Bitcoin Gold fork will very likely be a non-event; the coins will probably be worth next-to-nothing within a couple of days.

The really big event will be the Segwit2x hardfork in mid-Novenber. Be sure to keep your current Bitcoin (1X) off-exchange at that time to ensure you get the free Segwith2X airdrop on a one-to-one ratio.

• Advertisement

The Bitcoin Gold fork has already happened -- the dev(s) are already pre-mining the coins since Oct 1st. It will become "open" on Oct 25th.
    Frankly, the Bitcoin Gold fork will very likely be a non-event; the coins will probably be worth next-to-nothing within a couple of days.

The really big event will be the Segwit2x hardfork in mid-Novenber. Be sure to keep your current Bitcoin (1X) off-exchange at that time to ensure you get the free Segwith2X airdrop on a one-to-one ratio.

Seems to be a bit of negative publicity around Segwit2x with a few articles popping up on various different sites. Curious to see how it turns out

investors-lose-confidence-in-segwit2x

nob2x.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭covfefe

I've been reading up recently on Zcash and it's one of the coins that seems to have the potential to act as true digital cash.

I've been pretty much 100% Bitcoin for the last 4 years but I'm thinking of diversifying some of my holdings into ZEC soon so I'm going to outline pros and cons of this to see if it helps me make my decision!

Potential Pros

Digital Cash
    One issue I have with Bitcoin is that everything is visible in the shared ledger, this could hinder adoption from business, e.g. would I want my employees to be able to see what everyone is being paid, or my competitors to see how much I'm paying for X. Zcash fixes this because nobody knows who sent what to who and how much was sent!

I still believe there is a place for Bitcoin, but not as digital cash.

Privacy
    Zcash is a privacy coin, a lot of people are touting this as the next big thing in cryptocurrencies and it's something I want exposure to.

Technology
    Zcash is using zero knowledge proofs which is an advanced form of cryptography which it seems people have great difficulty explaining exactly what it is! It's also originally a fork of Bitcoin which is the daddy!

It has been mentioned by Vitalik Buterin, Edward Snowden and John McAfee (I don't hold each of these people in the same regard but there's no such thing as bad publicity right?!)
    https://twitter.com/rhhackett/status/942799687844851713
    https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/913544739542241282
    https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/941003398215761922

Team
    They look to be a world class team of cryptographers, scientists and developers, still researching.
    https://z.cash/team.html

Hype
    There doesn't seem to be as much hype for this coin as others, they seem to be developers/scientists first and are concentrating on the technology which I like, obviously they will need to improve their marketing at some point so this could turn into a Con but I like what I see at the moment. It's also good that it doesn't have a vertical spike in it's chart like so many other coins which indicates to me that there's plenty of scope for growth.

Adoption
    The Zcash Investment Trust has recently been launched by Grayscale Investments, the only other 2 investment products they have are based on Bitcoin and Ethereum, this seems like a pretty good endorsement to me.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashin/2017/11/09/zcash-investment-trust-launches-expanding-investor-options-for-cryptocurrency-exposure

They have a partnership with JPMorgan who have adopted their technology: https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashin/2017/05/22/jpmorgan-chase-to-integrate-zcash-technology-to-its-enterprise-blockchain-platform

Potential Cons

Run by a company
    Like Ripple and look where they are! But the plan here seems to be to hand this project over to the community at some point.

Also the code is open source and mining is decentralised which is good.

Founders Reward
    My understanding is that they take 20% of the mining reward for the first 4 years which then drops to zero. I personally don't see this as a major issue as long as it allows them to attract the top talent to work on this project and build a solid foundation (it's only been around for a year so far).

Processing Time
    It takes a lot of RAM to process private transactions due to the cryptography in place. They are working on performance enhancements and I understand a release later this year will drastically improve this opening up the possibility for mobile wallets.
    https://z.cash/blog/cultivating-sapling-faster-zksnarks.html

No Privacy By Default
    Most transations at the moment are not private, mainly due to the processing issue above. Once that is fixed I'd expect privacy by default will be the norm. I think having the option for both types of transaction is good though.

Parameter Generation
    In order to generate the parameters for zero-knowledge proofs, parameters must be generated and then destroyed (referred to in places as "toxic waste"), I have more reading to do on this.
    https://medium.com/@VitalikButerin/zk-snarks-under-the-hood-b33151a013f6
    https://z.cash/technology/paramgen.html

Apologies for the wall of text, if anyone else knows of pros/cons I should be aware of before I invest it would be great if you could let me know, for now I have more reading to do on what zk-SNARKs are and how they differ from zk-STARKs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭sunrainmooncl

^ great post. really informative.

/ off to buy some zcash!

Just an update to this, I've been doing some more reading on this project and it still impresses me.

I read this article which allays some of the concerns mentioned in the Cons above: https://www.zcashcommunity.com/2017/07/31/zcash-separating-fact-fiction

And the following article makes some good points: https://www.neverstopmarketing.com/5-reasons-bullish-zcash

And here's a great podcast episode from Radiolab about Zcash: http://www.radiolab.org/story/ceremony

Also Zcash have released their roadmap for 2018: https://z.cash/blog/roadmap-update-2017-12.html

This seems achievable and they have regular monthly releases, including a new release yesterday, which they announce on their blog here: https://z.cash/blog

I have to say I'm still very interested, they seem to be on a mission, I think 2018 will be a good year for Zcash, so it's time to go and put my money where my mouth is!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bought a small amount of ZEC using BTC on Kraken this morning @ $572, now @ $618. Yay! Of course I only bought enough that the price difference would barely buy me a pint of Guinness, but cheers anyway!

• Advertisement

Zcash has been on the rise since I bought a couple of days ago, it has increased by 60% since then. It reached a high on Bitfinex today of $800 (it reached ~$1300 on one of the Korean exchanges!!).

It's currently consolidating in the $720-$760 range, but it broke some major resistance today so I anticipate that this will move up above $1000 fairly soon after this period of consolidation, we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

covfefe wrote: »
    Zcash has been on the rise since I bought a couple of days ago, it has increased by 60% since then. It reached a high on Bitfinex today of $800 (it reached ~$1300 on one of the Korean exchanges!!).

It's currently consolidating in the $720-$760 range, but it broke some major resistance today so I anticipate that this will move up above $1000 fairly soon after this period of consolidation, we'll see!

I'm in the ZEN boat myself. I figure it has the lowest market cap between it, ZEC and ZCL, so potentially a lot more gains to be had.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Back down to $680, worth keeping an eye on with a view to buying a bit more.

smacl wrote: »

Back down to $680, worth keeping an eye on with a view to buying a bit more.

Yes, removing Korean exchanges from pricing calculations could have had an effect, you also always get corrections coinciding with large upward movements.

But, the charts on the longer time frames are looking incredibly bullish to me. This is a medium to long term position for me, I'm expecting to hold this until autumn at least.

Will be interesting to see where it goes next.

Advertisement