Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Gallagher is back - solo deal with Warners confirmed

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

well, that album was a hell of a lot better then I ever could have expected it to be.

Great stuff. Listening to it this morning. Got to love liams attitude and he sounds great on this record. Production is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Was never a fan of Oasis, or the Gallagher brothers bar a few tunes. Must say this album is top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'll give this a listen out of curiosity later but could this really be called Alternative or Indie? With all the songwriters drafted in, it sounds more like a Robbie Williams style album than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Not really alternative, and not really indie either. By virtue of the fact that he's on a major label. ;)

However, musically it is very modern sounding; clean, clear production, nothing too-60s or retro sounding, the odd nod here and there to the Beatles (e.g. the "I Am The Walrus" chord changes in "Come Back To Me").

"Wall of Glass" is a pretty good benchmark for what you're going to get. There's a fair few ballads / mid paced songs but throughout, the voice is good (though definitely studio-enhanced), there's not too many guitars, there's good backing vocals, and the songs all have their own vibe.

I haven't gotten to the end yet (I'm up to "Universal Gleam" on the deluxe edition) but I'm looking forward to going back over them all again.

In terms of initial listening, it knocks the last Beady Eye album out of the park, and is probably a little bit better than "Chasing Yesterday" (which was one thing, done well I might add, but still one thing).

"As You Were" is more song-based rather than style / attitude based. My favourite track is probably "Chinatown", just because it's so different to anything he's ever sung on before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

Good album. Few cracking songs on it. Love the subtle dig to Noel in Bold. All in all its great to have Liam back for his interviews alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

If the album does well people might start making tea for him again:pac:

https://twitter.com/bbcthree/status/910488336799862784?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I'll give this a listen out of curiosity later but could this really be called Alternative or Indie? With all the songwriters drafted in, it sounds more like a Robbie Williams style album than anything else.

He's been singing on albums with songs written by various songwriters for his entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like he's trying to mimmick John Lennon's voice more than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Sounds like he's trying to mimmick John Lennon's voice more than ever before.

I dunno, I think his voice is the clearest and least gravelly it's been in years. From Standing on the Shoulder of Giants onwards, he was singing with a very hoarse voice, which became pretty unlistenable by the time we got to Beady Eye's last album (and completely unlistenable on the last few Oasis tours).

At certain points on this album he sounds if not like 1995 Liam, then at least 1997 Liam. He's dropped the overuse of the "slap back" echo on his voice too, which always made it very Lennon-y.

Certain chord changes aside, this is his least Beatle-y sounding album.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

saw him on the Graham Norton show - song was terrible and his voice is shot.

He was pretty funny on the couch afterwards though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

been giving a listen.... not a bad album at all.... a couple of the first tracks he released are actually the weakest songs on the album

Advertisement