Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New player looking to start

Options
  • 27-08-2017 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

Recently we had an airsoft event at work which was my first time ever playing, man did I enjoy it honestly I had so much fun was drenched at the end but amazing time.

I'm considering starting the hobby, my two closest spots would be SpecialOps in Wicklow and Inferno in Tallaght which is where we had the event.

Now my questions are, would it be fine showing up alone at one of the sites since none of my friends are interested in joining? Do people usually play in bigger groups or is this ok?

Second how active are the sites especially Wicklow and Tallaght like considering its quite a bit of cash to get started so would like to go quite often? Im based in Sandyford so these are the two closest to me I think?

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Welcome to the fun.
    No problem turning up on your own if you are happy with that, can't think of a site where it would be a problem.
    The site will get you kitted out with a rental deal, put you on a team and away you go.
    Don't rush out buying loads of stuff just yet, rent for a few times to make sure you might stick with it, but make sure to phone ahead to book your rental as sometimes equipment may be limited.
    Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ArgonZA

Ah yeah I have no problem going on my own, and I'm social enough to strike up chats around the site thats no issue was just not sure if it was accepted or wheter you always needed to be in groups of a certain size.

Have to say went mad with window shopping so many interesting guns out there, the rental tip is great advice will follow thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

ArgonZA wrote: »
    Ah yeah I have no problem going on my own, and I'm social enough to strike up chats around the site thats no issue was just not sure if it was accepted or wheter you always needed to be in groups of a certain size.

Definitely don't need groups , everyone who started playing here over 10 years ago came in one's and twos ,
    You will get to meet various teams around the country but there is no requirement to be on a team ,
    Just turn up listen to the marshals and experienced players and have fun.

Don't start Window shopping were all worse than wives and girlfriends when it comes to buying

Gatling wrote: »
    Definitely don't need groups , everyone who started playing here over 10 years ago came in one's and twos ,
    You will get to meet various teams around the country but there is no requirement to be on a team ,
    Just turn up listen to the marshals and experienced players and have fun.

Don't start Window shopping were all worse than wives and girlfriends when it comes to buying

Brilliant great to hear!

Wallet is starting to itch badly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ridik_ulass

If you find a team, many will be on site, just ask players you get on with are they part of a team. they may loan you gear, so you can try a variety before you buy, rentals always seem to be the same-ish guns which are not everyone's first choice.

As far as buying goes, stick with the "big 4" AK's / m4's / mp5's and g36's anything more exotic and you run into issues. we had a guy bring an AUG to a 27hour event there this weekend, and where we had the low-cap required mag's for the event, no one had any for his AUG spare, so he had to buy new ones, which while not uncommon were like 23 euro each and he could only get 2. a Box of M4 mag's cost like 60euro for 10 and I only needed 5, so I even had spares.

Then his gun broke down, no one had any knowledge of aug's internals or how to take him apart, but we just game him spare m4's we had a plenty, and we already had the mag's for.

My m4 ran out of juice mid combat, 3 people had the required batteries on person to give me as a replacement.

it kinda goes on from there, mag's, batteries, optics, "furniture" (grips, stocks, rails ect ect ect) are easy to come by if you stick with the big 4, because there are so many of those weapons in circulation. run out of ammo on the field, someone will have a mag for you. internals break, people will have spare parts too, everyone I know probably could build several guns from their spare parts.

when you do buy a gun, you will need batteries, mag's , optics, grips and all those trinkets, that you won't really need but want, friends can lend them till you get comfortable. but they are also ok to buy second hand, as they have less parts there is less to go wrong and less risk.

want any more advice or opinions PM me, I'm also a part of a team that plays in tallagh semi-regularly we can arrange a meet up if you want.

• Advertisement

If you find a team, many will be on site, just ask players you get on with are they part of a team. they may loan you gear, so you can try a variety before you buy, rentals always seem to be the same-ish guns which are not everyone's first choice.

As far as buying goes, stick with the "big 4" AK's / m4's / mp5's and g36's anything more exotic and you run into issues. we had a guy bring an AUG to a 27hour event there this weekend, and where we had the low-cap required mag's for the event, no one had any for his AUG spare, so he had to buy new ones, which while not uncommon were like 23 euro each and he could only get 2. a Box of M4 mag's cost like 60euro for 10 and I only needed 5, so I even had spares.

Then his gun broke down, no one had any knowledge of aug's internals or how to take him apart, but we just game him spare m4's we had a plenty, and we already had the mag's for.

My m4 ran out of juice mid combat, 3 people had the required batteries on person to give me as a replacement.

it kinda goes on from there, mag's, batteries, optics, "furniture" (grips, stocks, rails ect ect ect) are easy to come by if you stick with the big 4, because there are so many of those weapons in circulation. run out of ammo on the field, someone will have a mag for you. internals break, people will have spare parts too, everyone I know probably could build several guns from their spare parts.

when you do buy a gun, you will need batteries, mag's , optics, grips and all those trinkets, that you won't really need but want, friends can lend them till you get comfortable. but they are also ok to buy second hand, as they have less parts there is less to go wrong and less risk.

want any more advice or opinions PM me, I'm also a part of a team that plays in tallagh semi-regularly we can arrange a meet up if you want.

Very sound advice thank you! Will then be looking at M4's once I'm settled on starting! Will definately give you a pm I had an absolute blast at tallagh last time thanks for the kind offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I'm a loner too!!!!

Looking to get into it and no friends interested. I have a 1911 already. Would that be OK to use first few times while I get the cash together for an M4?

I'd also be looking at Inferno as a site to use. It says Wed 6 to 10 but can you come a 8 say?(after the kids go to bed!!!)

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I'm a loner too!!!!

Looking to get into it and no friends interested. I have a 1911 already. Would that be OK to use first few times while I get the cash together for an M4?

I'd also be looking at Inferno as a site to use. It says Wed 6 to 10 but can you come a 8 say?(after the kids go to bed!!!)

Not sure about the time stuff interested in that too probably can phone them or ask on their facebook, gun wise from what I've seen over this weekend a lot of the really geared guys actually put their rifles down and ran around with pistols now and again.

CQB indoors pistol is probably fine since its all close range and pistols are light and easy to manouver with, as long as you enjoy yourself why not, you can always use rentals as well

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ridik_ulass

basically what ARGON said, normally people play with more than 1 gun, in case their gun dies, or they run into other issues, batteries and a lack of gas or some such. But running around pistol primary is definitely OK, I'd say practice quick reloads or try figure out where to store spare magazines if you don't yet have a vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

If you shop around (online I mean) do your research, compare prices and so on - you will get decent gear for up to 500eur.
    All players are nice and easy going. Ofc someone will always shout during game (or giving important information in my world). There is definitely nothing to be afraid of. I started playing back in 2009-2010 and I knew NONE. Simply walk to some "good looking" guys and start chatting - tell them you just started and from then on is just going down hill.
    Since I didn't play for some time I wont know how active sites are but by looking how many new sites are there I am guessing that all of em are opened every weekend (Sunday).

- if you want to go to that site in Wicklow I would be up for it. I am just coming back to airsoft so it will be the same experience for both of us :D .

• Advertisement
Advertisement