Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Ryan - Amazon Original (**Spoilers**)

• 18-09-2017 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,877 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Love the books (the earlier ones in particular) but have no idea what that's about based on the trailer! Not great marketing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,877 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Next teaser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭brevity

Good trailer to be fair.

Not sure about the lead but Bunk is in it so I might give it a watch.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A Rainn Willson cameo in the CIA office would be nice :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

My interest is... interested:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A Rainn Willson cameo in the CIA office would be nice :p

Think I saw James Earl Jones there in the first trailer which is a nice touch as he was the original Admiral James Greer in the movies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Nice to see Wendell Pierce's stock rising over the last few years.

• Advertisement

Renewed for a 2nd season three months before season 1 is to air.

Shockingly just after John Krasinski makes over 1000% on A Quiet Place :D

New Trailer.

4th of July teaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

I'd renew it after the trailer alone to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Michael Kelly joins as a series regular for Season 2

Kinda need to see season 1

like.. yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Michael Kelly joins as a series regular for Season 2

ah ffs, these are the longest coming shows, why am I following this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Am I right in thinking this has only the slimmest connection to the Tom Clancy books? The character seems to be more an amalgam of Ryan and Kelly/Clark rather than any type of faithful character. I’d prefer to see a Clark branded series or a movie version of Without remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

Looks like they are following the movie Ryan.

• Advertisement

Drops tomorrow and is 8 episodes long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That's my weekend sorted then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Half way through it ... It's quite good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Managed to watch 1 episode before the kids arrived, would it be bad form to dose them in Calpol so I can get to the second episode straight away? I forgot what a big fan of the books I was, every character is almost perfect to the book, once I get Robert Zane out of my head that is.

Episode 1 was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Long time since I read the books, and loved the movies (well, Ford and Baldwin..). After episode 1 and 2 I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Now I'll stay away from this thread to avoid inevitable spoilers as it could be a while before I get to see more.

Binged it last ngt.. very good first season, missed a trick near the end where it could have been superb ..still,a worthy show to follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

And in Dolby Vision! First 2 episodes, very good.

What an excellent first season, not overly impressed with wrapping up the whole storyarc in 1 season but I guess it has to be done in today's TV. 1 bug bear of mine is Suliman's backstory, ok he's French but how did he get the money to setup the compound and the 9 million to fund stuff and what was he doing on the road out of Iraq after the war?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this is ridiculous, mr perfect, who all the women are after,
    finds the guy so easily.
    ...switches from I'm an analyst to Im a marine, so many cliches and stupid decisions and terrible dialogue. (just finished watching ep 2), but I'll binge it all.

could probably have been told in more eps to make it more believable and less rushed.

Episode 2: I say.. This Jack Ryan fellow.. he sure does seem to catch a lot of breaks.

Abbie Cornish is damm cute.

ep 3
    ah yes this is what US armed drones are for saving women from rapist with bad teeth, how hes even allowed to do that and then gets away with it wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

I really enjoyed that,, Did a straight 8 episode binge (with beer).

How long till S2 lands,, (Will get some beer in) ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Just finished watching all episodes and I really enjoyed it. I read all the Jack Ryan Sr books as they came out and I think Tom Clancy would be proud that the script did them justice.

Season 2 is already filming so I would guess it should be released a a couple of months earlier in the year than August next year. Apparently the villain is a South American dictator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

It was good. Nothing amazing. Some serious holes here and there.

I like John Krasinski and Wendall Pierce.

Too many Mike Hammer getting shot/stabbed/slashed but carrying on moments. And no-one blinks an eye at a man running around the metro with a gun until he fires a shot in the air :rolleyes:

The whole 'hostages are the weapon' could have been brilliant..but it was so rushed it ruined it,just for a change let the president/vice p/main target actually die...it's boring knowing good ol Mr President is too important for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

satguy wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that,, Did a straight 8 episode binge (with beer).

How long till S2 lands,, (Will get some beer in) ..

In fairness, having watched four episodes, I think alcohol is definitely required to blur some of the more ludicrous aspects of the story. The drone ffs!
    And he's getting it on with the doc and she fails to notice a bleeding stab wound? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

Looking forward to this, just need everyone to head out so I can watch it in peace.

Enjoying this a lot. I've just passed the half way point.

Reviews are praising the Middle Eastern parts for making Suleiman a three dimensional character, but I find those bits boring and I wish they weren't in it.

Krasinski, Pierce and Cornish are all great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

On the finale now how the F did the terrorist guy get back into the states that's absolutely ridiculous no?

Surely his picture would be sent out to every airport entrance to US for whoever's at the gates for inspection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

biggebruv wrote: »
    On the finale now how the F did the terrorist guy get back into the states that's absolutely ridiculous no?

Surely his picture would be sent out to every airport entrance to US for whoever's at the gates for inspection

That was ridiculous. Imagine Bin Laden rocking up to a border patrol officer back in the day. The writers should have been a little more creative with how he gets into the country.

Also, surely all the hostages would have thorough medical exams after being brought back to America.

I also though the "I will buy all your eggs" scene was a bit cheesy. I think it would have been better and more realistic if the father just completely rejected the drone guy's apology.

So, it did go a little crazy in the end but overall I enjoyed it, John Krasinski and Wendell Pierce were a good team, and I'm looking forward to the second season especially as Noomi Rapace is it in.

pretty cheesy and ridiculous but good standard vege fare overall.

plot reminded me of the plot of the book "I am pilgrim" in some ways.

(good book if you haven't read it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Yeah finished it John krasinski was pretty good in the role but the story in the last episode just fell apart the action was pretty good but it didn't wow me like I thought it would the reviews overhyped the action scenes for me by saying it matched big blockbusters no it didn't imo maybe one action moment in one of the early episode's but that was it.

biggebruv wrote: »

He had changed his look from all the videos and had travelled via Canada on a private jet with a sick child, great cover IMO

the french police are idiots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

the french police are idiots!

It’s not real.

(Fair amount of spoilers in this thread btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

(Fair amount of spoilers in this thread btw)

Which is why it says **Spoilers** in the thread title.

Although the acting was good and the Middle East scenes were well done it stretched credulity too many times to be convincing.

3: The immersion is a bit lowered when they go to the Yemen/Syria scenes and the countries don't have the look of being in huge civil wars. I'm unsure if it's Lebanon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

For a first season it was okay. Krasinkis is likeable but his character as written is very bland- at least a better Jack Ryan than Affleck or Chris Pike. As regards spy dramas I still think Homeland, Berlin station and Condor are better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement