Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Grand Prix 2017 (1-7 Oct)

Options
  • 11-09-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,849 ✭✭✭✭

21432685_1453309048049831_5476525390947379433_n.jpg?oh=04d73429a5b1679847a31c25bebaccd2&oe=5A1DB4E1

that time of year again (wont make it this year myself ) where darts fans descend on the citywest hotel in Dublin for the annual World Grand Prix

Phil Taylor chose not to compete this year (which is a bit disapointing considering he won it a few times). Tournament always provides a few shocks and this year could be no different

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,849 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

21751403_1458548657525870_3534015907187883303_n.jpg?oh=4777539a7fb34a66c9e94699eae452bc&oe=5A429347

1st round draw some tasty matches there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

There will be good value in that first round for any gamblers here. Can see 5 or 6 'upsets'

Hopefully Mensur is busting with confidence and gets a bit of luck with the double start. Just backed him each way at 18/1

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

I see that they are letting in under 18s free on the first 2 days, so long as they are accompanied by an adult.

Good idea to bring a 7 and an 8 year old?

The 7 year old is Peter Wright mad so I'm thinking of getting tickets for the first 2 days
    and bringing them on whatever night Wright is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

lambayire wrote: »
    I see that they are letting in under 18s free on the first 2 days, so long as they are accompanied by an adult.

Good idea to bring a 7 and an 8 year old?

The 7 year old is Peter Wright mad so I'm thinking of getting tickets for the first 2 days
    and bringing them on whatever night Wright is playing.

Yeah first couple of nights tame enough. 8 games, first to two sets so they won't get bored of a game going on too long. Go for it I say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

for me as a spectator / going with group of lads

the move of 1/4 finals to thursday night was a disaster and in general its not a great tournament to watch with double start
    with the coverage on tv at saturation point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Think there is darts on for a few days prior to this in citywest too

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

KevIRL wrote: »
    Yeah first couple of nights tame enough. 8 games, first to two sets so they won't get bored of a game going on too long. Go for it I say

Managed to get some tickets beside where the players start their walk-on.
    The 2 boys are really looking forward to it.
    They are both angling for a Peter Wright mohawk ahead of Monday's play.

sc86 wrote:
    the move of 1/4 finals to thursday night was a disaster and in general its not a great tournament to watch with double start with the coverage on tv at saturation point

Depends. I prefer the double start, much more exiting. Plenty of upsets.

the seating system can be a disaster as you have lads taking away seats to sit with there mates and then when the ticket holder arrives there seat is gone

the best seats/tables to get are the ones at the end of the rows or at the top as its easier to get in and out of.

not going this year and didnt go last year as i prefer the premier league and have other things on but they are good nights and if ur staying in the hotel its a good laugh there (i was refuse service for an full hour in 2014 as i got too drunk and spit back up a sambucca shot lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

sc86 wrote: »
    for me as a spectator / going with group of lads

the move of 1/4 finals to thursday night was a disaster and in general its not a great tournament to watch with double start
    with the coverage on tv at saturation point

I agree.

Switching it all forward a day was stupid. No other major final is on a Saturday. Ruined the whole thing.

I do like the idea of a double start tournament as something different but I wish we had a normal tournament and this was on in England. The players find it hard to get a rhythm going and it's rare you see a real high quality match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Anyone knows which beer maker sponsors it ?

Carpentry wrote: »
    Anyone knows which beer maker sponsors it ?

Heineken i think

last time i was there was 2015 and they sold Orchard Thieves, Heineken and Beamish i think. They had Fosters there one year too

21688474_2374084269482447_3412805192736978016_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=3c9a2ddfc4e2f056dcdd5edde341984a&oe=5A4DFC6E

Anyone ever gone to the darts and not drink beer? Do they sell soft drinks and water ECT?
    Still tickets available, was thinking of driving up and home the same night during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Henderson beats MVG :eek:

Didn't see that one coming

No Taylor, Anderson, Lewis or MvG. Going to be interesting

Mensur Suljovic will win this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Biggest upset I can recall in years.

Madness.

Wide open now, Mr Snakebite will be fancying his chances.

Mensur Suljovic will win this tournament.

Or Gurney

Will be kicking myself if Mensur wins as he was 20/1 to win it yesterday

Is Gary Anderson playing 2morrow ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

To be honest I can barely remember Henderson even winning a match on TV

PTH2009 wrote:
    Is Gary Anderson playing 2morrow ???

Gary Anderson isn't playing he pulled out as his missus about to give birth. Mark Webster took his place and is 2nd seed

King reminds me of an east London heavy/hard man

Wade just can't win at this tournament, 3rd year in a row losing in the 1st round

PTH2009 wrote:
    Wade just can't win at this tournament, 3rd year in a row losing in the 1st round

He's sliding big time. Can't see him being relevant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,302 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whitlock (Euro Championship), Wright (UK Open) and Thornton (Grand Prix & Matchplay) the only ones left who've won a 'major'? Or have I missed anyone.

Whitlock (Euro Championship), Wright (UK Open) and Thornton (Grand Prix & Matchplay) the only ones left who've won a 'major'? Or have I missed anyone.

Barney??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,302 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Barney??

Jaysus, forgot clean about him.:o I should have actually checked the draw instead of trying to do it from memory!

Has Bunting blown his chance ??

• Advertisement

Bunting blew it there

With some massive favourites out it's anyone's too win this year. Was wrong in the past but gun to my head id pick Barney too win out

Advertisement