Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross road question

Options
  • 14-08-2017 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hello,

If you are at a cross roads that has traffic lights, and an Fire engine / ambulance / garda car has the lights on and is coming up behind you, are you meant to break the lights (if safe to do so) and move out of the way? Or do you wait?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

IN MY OPINION if it is safe to stick your nose out to let the ES vehicle out then I would do so. But your safety is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Its always if safe to do so...

If you're trying to cross a busy fast moving junction and no one is stopping nothing you can do but try make room on either side.

But i mean usually a big loud flashing car people would see it trying to cross their path and stop then you can go out.

If you hit someone by breaking the rules of the road you're still at fault just like any of the emergency light vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

Short answer is NO you cannot break the red light as to do so would cause you to break the law. An emergency vehicle should bully people into breaking a red light. The correct procedure for the emergency vehicle is to wait behind the traffic with its blues on and sirens off until the light goes green then it can proceed as before.

apc wrote: »
    Short answer is NO you cannot break the red light as to do so would cause you to break the law. An emergency vehicle should bully people into breaking a red light. The correct procedure for the emergency vehicle is to wait behind the traffic with its blues on and sirens off until the light goes green then it can proceed as before.

Thankfully common sense prevails in most cases and drivers move out of the way when safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

It depends. if the lights and sirens only come on when the vehicle is approaching the junction, then turn up the radio (when safe to do so) and stay where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Its always if safe to do so...

If you're trying to cross a busy fast moving junction and no one is stopping nothing you can do but try make room on either side.

But i mean usually a big loud flashing car people would see it trying to cross their path and stop then you can go out.

If you hit someone by breaking the rules of the road you're still at fault just like any of the emergency light vehicles.

I drove a coronary resuscitation car and I had permissions given sometimes to. Break lights or the speed limit if safe to do so I don't think emergency vehicles are breaking the law they are on permissions

Also yeah move for ambulances if they are trying to push through then it's important

The cops will move you if they need to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

ezra_ wrote: »
    Hello,

If you are at a cross roads that has traffic lights, and an Fire engine / ambulance / garda car has the lights on and is coming up behind you, are you meant to break the lights (if safe to do so) and move out of the way? Or do you wait?

As others have said common sense thankfully prevails.

You'll see different styles of driving from Emergency Services, sometimes they're happy to sit behind a queue of traffic and turn off the siren. Other times they'll try to barge through and get people moving. Most often depends on the seriousness of the call and seconds can mean life/death difference

timmywex wrote: »
    Most often depends on the seriousness of the call and seconds can mean life/death difference

And those chips won't stay hot all night! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

Tigger wrote: »
    I drove a coronary resuscitation car and I had permissions given sometimes to. Break lights or the speed limit if safe to do so I don't think emergency vehicles are breaking the law they are on permissions

Also yeah move for ambulances if they are trying to push through then it's important

What does "I had permissions given sometimes" mean if you mind me asking:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

What does "I had permissions given sometimes" mean if you mind me asking:confused:
    What I'm more interested in knowing is what a "coronary resuscitation car" is? Just sounds a bit mad
    Tigger wrote: »
    Not always. The most bull**** of calls can be given bravo codes which warrants blues if the driver decides they want to. Even delta responses can be utter bull**** but they controller just gives you what the computer tells them to. There's no common sense used.
    Good look getting gards to do that here unless you have plenty of time to arrange it or they just happen to be on scene and its serious enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

NASlad wrote: »
    What I'm more interested in knowing is what a "coronary resuscitation car" is? Just sounds a bit mad

Not always. The most bull**** of calls can be given bravo codes which warrants blues if the driver decides they want to. Even delta responses can be utter bull**** but they controller just gives you what the computer tells them to. There's no common sense used.

Good look getting gards to do that here unless you have plenty of time to arrange it or they just happen to be on scene and its serious enough.

+1 WTF is a coronary resuscitation car

And on the AMPDs iv been to lots of delta bulsh1ts and then you get the AS2s that are pre alerts for resus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Just to clarify, I believe that's a typo, they shouldn't bully drivers into breaking a red light. Ideally their sirens will have alerted drivers well in advance so they can pull aside to leave enough space but that doesn't always happen, either due to congestion, or inattentive drivers. If it's safe and you don't cause an accident by edging forward, no guard is going to give you a ticket, but if there is an accident you would be at fault.

There's already one emergency, don't create a second.

sjb25 wrote: »
    +1 WTF is a coronary resuscitation car

And on the AMPDs iv been to lots of delta bulsh1ts and then you get the AS2s that are pre alerts for resus

AMPDS wrecks my head. Great in theory but in reality it's implemented badly. +1 for the as2's turning out to be serious as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

AMPDS wrecks my head. Great in theory but in reality it's implemented badly. +1 for the as2's turning out to be serious as well.

I have literally no clue what is being said here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

flazio wrote: »

AMPDS= Advanced Medical Priority Dispatch System Codes the codes control gives as dispatch codes Echo delta Charlie alpha and omega calls
    They can be a bit all over the place in my opinion not controls fault the system really don't no myself how to change it
    AS1= emergency call 999/112
    AS2= doctors call so patient has been seen by GP who wants patient into hospital by ambulance but is not time critical
    So what I said was some of these AS2 calls can be a lot sicker than a delta AS1 call

flazio wrote: »

AMPDS is the dispatch code system. Omega through Echo. i.e 10-delta-1 is chest pain.
    As2's are non urgent GP calls. Usually for things like UTI's after a GP has reviewed the patient.

Does anybody know what AS even stands for??

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Does anybody know what AS even stands for??[/QUOTE]

Ambulance Service

Titanucd wrote: »

Ambulance Service[/QUOTE]

Lol thats a bit straight forward isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Ambulance Service

Lol thats a bit straight forward isnt it.[/quote]

Yeah but that's what it is.

Amazingly simple especially for NAS 👀

sjb25 wrote: »
    AS2= doctors call so patient has been seen by GP who wants patient into hospital by ambulance but is not time critical
    So what I said was some of these AS2 calls can be a lot sicker than a delta AS1 call

Out of general nosiness/ignorance, if a GP decides you need to go hospital, but it's not time sensitive, why is an ambulance being roped into it?

• Advertisement

AMPDS is the dispatch code system. Omega through Echo. i.e 10-delta-1 is chest pain.
    As2's are non urgent GP calls. Usually for things like UTI's after a GP has reviewed the patient.

Just curious, are AS2 calls all coded 33-Alpha-1/2/3?

Out of general nosiness/ignorance, if a GP decides you need to go hospital, but it's not time sensitive, why is an ambulance being roped into it?

Not time sensitive in this context would mean not having an immediately life-threatening condition such as difficulty breathing or signs of shock but still needs to be admitted to hospital.

Or the GP is meant to be teeing off in half an hour.

Because they're elderly or bed bound in most cases. That or the GP hasn't bothered their hole to even go out to the patient and merely calls an ambulance instead
    ectoraige wrote: »

No idea. They never issue us codes for as2's or as3's. I'm sure they do have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

back in the early 00's the ambulance drivers and the hse had a dispute over ambulance drivers being paramedics or something like that so some people were contracted to drive cars that had blues and livery and carried coronary recussicatation equipment
    the car woild have a nurse a doctor and a driver and the nurse wiukd be on the radio to control
    depending on circumstances the driver would be told he could break the speed limit , turn on the oights and sirens or wven break the lights or in one occaasionni went the wrong way down a one way street that the gaurds closed

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

ectoraige wrote: »

No, ampds codes are only used for emergency calls. Code 33 is the older lesser used code for an emergency interfacitlity transfer( now code 37 is being used by more and more facilities).

As2 calls are taken in a different manner and ampds is not used. Problems/conditions are typed manually and more freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

Thread gone completely off-topic. New thread to continue discussions????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

highdef wrote: »
    Thread gone completely off-topic. New thread to continue discussions????

Are you trying to say that it's taken the wrong turn (at the cross road) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

mikeecho wrote: »
    Are you trying to say that it's taken the wrong turn (at the cross road) :D

I saw the blue lights and I panicked!

Advertisement