Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle of whiskey for wedding gift

Options
  • 27-09-2017 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for a nice bottle of whiskey for the father of the bride and father of the groom? Heading through Dublin Airport tomorrow so thought I might be able to pick up something decent in duty free.. Budget per bottle would be anywhere between 50-150 euro (as I hope to enjoy myself!)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭CircleofLife

Teelings do quite nice whiskeys. I like their single malt ones. The Revival one is meant to be quite nice too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you're in the airport they'll happily let you sample any open bottles. Redbreast and Yellowspot would be my recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

I would recommend Talisker a single malt Scotch whiskey.They can be expensive.Poss 45 euro per litre but tastes like honey.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Midleton Very Rare would be a popular choice.
    Comes in an impressive box and is a lovely whiskey
    Top end of the budget, but would be appreciated as people recognise it as a premium whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

red breast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I got a present of Jameson Caskmates and found it very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

Knappogue Castle is my personal favourite, and you should be able to choose from the 12, 14 or 16 year olds and a special reserve. It doesn't have the brand recognition of Jameson or Middleton, but if the recipients like whiskey, they will love Knappogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Midleton Very Rare if the budget will allow....about €150 , but its an impressive present to get, you will score brownie points!
    Otherwise I'd suggest Redbreast 12 which is about €60 in shops, not sure how much in "duty free" or the slightly more expensive Redbreast Lustau if they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

I'd recommend 12 year old Jameson Whiskey if you can get it at the airport. If not........or another idea if you have time is to get it from Middleton Distillery online. They will personalise it with the peoples name so it would make a lovely gift. link is here: https://shop.jamesonwhiskey.com/products/jameson-distillery-reserve-personalised-bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ideb wrote: »
    I'd recommend 12 year old Jameson Whiskey if you can get it at the airport. If not........or another idea if you have time is to get it from Middleton Distillery online. They will personalise it with the peoples name so it would make a lovely gift. link is here: https://shop.jamesonwhiskey.com/products/jameson-distillery-reserve-personalised-bottle
    Don't they have a system in the airports for personalising labels now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Another recommendation here for the 12 year old Redbreast. Best bang for the buck anywhere, and they'll know they're getting a decent present.
    Feck it, I want one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

If you're willing to go to 200e the Redbreast 21yo.

It seems to have a fancy new box so it will look the part too as a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

thanks for all the recommendations folks, think I'll go for the Midleton Very Rare for the gifts but some Redbreast for yours truly!

Just FYI - It has gone up in price recently (180) , but the new one looks impressive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just FYI - It has gone up in price recently (180) , but the new one looks impressive!!

I know! But sure look, besides the quality of it, it also looks the part and both families have roots in Cork too. should go down a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

If you could get something duty free, personally I'd go for a Redbreast 21 or (cheaper) a Redbreast cask strength 12 yr old. Made in Cork too. In my opinion, a step up on Midleton Very Rare, though I have not tasted the latest Midletons, which could be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Brockagh wrote: »
    If you could get something duty free, personally I'd go for a Redbreast 21 or (cheaper) a Redbreast cask strength 12 yr old. Made in Cork too. In my opinion, a step up on Midleton Very Rare, though I have not tasted the latest Midletons, which could be great.

I would agree. Midelton, well most vintages, is all fur coat.

Green spot leoville Barton, or redbreast do a better job pound for pound than the Midleton for that type of whiskey.

Brockagh wrote: »

All depends, unless the people are up on their whiskey knowledge the Midleton would be better recieved IMO.

It's better known, presented better and if you're not a huge whiskey drinker it's a far nicer one to drink. It's a blend after all and is smooth as honey, that's it's selling point.

The redbreast, while to a critic is a better drop, it's a harsher one to drink and may not be fully appreciated by someone.

Again all IMO of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Totally agree with the midleton suggestion

Wait a week or so and get the 2017 bottle.
    It comes in a nice wooden box, it's well presented.

It's also mellow, and easy to drink.

It'll be €180

Almost everyone knows tbe midleton very rare brand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Feck that, redbreast 21 much better and only €4 more.

Advertisement