Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Late 2011 MacBook Pro GPU replacement

• 09-05-2017 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭

So the GPU on my late 2011 Macbook Pro seem to be gone. Unlucky me, just 5 months after the official recall was finished. So any one have any idea where they would just replace the GPU rather than the entire logic board in Ireland. Some places in the UK seem to offer this service.

Replacing the entire Logic board seem to cost around 700 quid, while GPU replacement in the UK with leaded solder seem to come to around 300 quid.

Other places are offering a reflow for 180 quid in Ireland, but that seem to be just heading the GPU to get it to work and may only last for few months.

Any help appreciated

FYI - Laptop was purchased in the US, so can't go down the route of consumer law.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

1, bin
    2. you can apparently buy the gpu's fom aliexpress for 50$, get it soldered on. then perhaps drill air holes on the underside of your macbook. This seems like a reasonable solution.
    if your handy with computers
    3. This EFI fix seems to work for many, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd-gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/page-7
    4. i installed ubuntu, disbaled the gpu and am running windoes virtually. not ideal but the efi fix didnt work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Wilko121 wrote: »
    1, bin
    2. you can apparently buy the gpu's fom aliexpress for 50$, get it soldered on. then perhaps drill air holes on the underside of your macbook. This seems like a reasonable solution.
    3. This EFI fix seems to work for many, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd-gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/page-7
    4. i installed ubuntu, disbaled the gpu and am running windoes virtually. not ideal but the efi fix didnt work for me.

After a good bit of research I have sent it to a place in the UK to get the GPU replaced and reballed withleaded solder.. I would be happy just to get another 2 -3 years out of it, as the machine is almost in par with the latest base model MacBook Pro after I upgraded the memory and HDD to an SSD.. Plus I don't really do a lot of heavy lifting on the machine in terms of video editing or playing games.. so hopefully this fix should last me a good while.

Time will tell, how the repair goes and how long it will last :)

That's cool, how much was the repair?

Let me know how it goes!

I would would consider drilling vents in the base too, should reduce heat and increase the lifespan!

That's cool, how much was the repair?

Let me know how it goes!

I would would consider drilling vents in the base too, should reduce heat and increase the lifespan!

It should roughly cost around €250 including shipping the laptop back and forth.. Replacing the GPU alone seem to cost about £169, which is not bad considering that that some authorized Apple resellers want 700 for replacing the whole board and Apple themselves saying that can't do it, since this Laptop is considered vintage.

But will keep you posted on how it goes..Laptop was only shipped out yesterday, so might take a week and a bit to actually get it back..

Hey man,

Did you get any feedback from them yet?

Would you expect it to last 2-3 years?

• Advertisement

Hey man,

Did you get any feedback from them yet?

Would you expect it to last 2-3 years?

I did get an email stating that the laptop was repaired yesterday and is functioning as expected. So I should hopefully have it with me in the coming days.

The repair comes with a 6 months warranty. But I was told that the fix, should last me however long it functioned since I brought it as new, as this all depends on usage. I am not a heavy user so I am hoping it will last me a good while. But again nothing is guaranteed as this is a design flaw on Apple’s side.

Laptop arrived yesterday after the GPU replacement, pretty pleased with the repair so far. While I was reinstalling MacOS, the machine was pushed to the limits in terms of CPU and GPU temperature and was very stable. Now time will tell how it fairs in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MythBoy

bit of an old thread I appreciate but my early 2011 15" MAcBook Pro just packed up at the weekend and I'm wondering who it was you sent your to? Is it still working ok? Really keen to get mine fixed and asap

MythBoy wrote: »
    bit of an old thread I appreciate but my early 2011 15" MAcBook Pro just packed up at the weekend and I'm wondering who it was you sent your to? Is it still working ok? Really keen to get mine fixed and asap

So this is the guy that got mine fixed (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Apple-Macbook-Pro-A1286-820-2915-A-15-2011-Logic-Board-Repair-New-GPU-Reball/291122531359?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649)

The laptop still works and so does the AMD GPU. It has been about 4 months to the day, since I got it back. However I don't push the laptop to the limits anymore as it did crash once when rendering a video about 2 months ago, but nothing ever since. But you do get 6 months warranty on the work.

The initial purchase via ebay is just for the return cost of the laptop, he then does a diagnostic of it and if he can repair it, he then charges you £169 for it (the invoice is issues via paypal, so everything was done via proper channel)

Overall I am pretty happy with the work and he still does have pretty good feedback in ebay https://feedback.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=bga_repairs&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&rt=nc

On a side note, if you purchased the laptop in Ireland, you maybe still covered under consumer law, which covers a product up to 6 years from the purchase - https://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Thanks so much for your response. I actually bought the laptop on eBay about 6 years ago so not sure if that would apply... I'll try the refurbish route.

You mention not pushing it too hard, do you connect yours to an HD monitor? I have mine linked up to an AOC 27" hd monitor and wonder if that's what's done it. I haven't done a lot of video editing but I do put music to film which might be where the strain has been.

Thanks again for your advice!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for your response. I actually bought the laptop on eBay about 6 years ago so not sure if that would apply... I'll try the refurbish route.

You mention not pushing it too hard, do you connect yours to an HD monitor? I have mine linked up to an AOC 27" hd monitor and wonder if that's what's done it. I haven't done a lot of video editing but I do put music to film which might be where the strain has been.

Thanks again for your advice!

I don’t have mine plugged into a monitor all the time, but do use an external monitor from time to time. I just avoid anything that kicks the fan on the machine while using the AMD gpu. The fault is basically because of poor design on Apple part for not being able to cool properly. But for day to day use, including watching YouTube or Netflix, there is no issues whatsoever

Update: Apparently this company http://techhelp.ie/ in Lucan can reball for €250 with a 6 month warranty. Might try them to save the postage to and from UK and peace of mind being relatively local...

Update: Apparently this company http://techhelp.ie/ in Lucan can reball for €250 with a 6 month warranty. Might try them to save the postage to and from UK and peace of mind being relatively local...

Cool, but just a note with reballing they more or less heat the solder between the GPU and motherboard. While the service I used, the guy replaced the GPU with non-leaded solder.

But yeah I think repairing it local, gives you the extra peace of mind.

ok, I may have got my terminology mixed up, I thought reballing was when they solder a new chip in. Hmmm, yeah unless they replace the GPU I don't think I'm interested.

Meanwhile I have an offer in on a new unit on ebay.ie...

Hey ppl,

Got a new gpu soldered on to my macbook there lately, simillar one Tyson mentioned.

Mac is not starting to reboot randomly again like the other gpu did when it was bad.

I insisted on pay vial paypal, should i be looking for a refund? Or atleast in part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What was the warranty with the repair? Are you still inside it.

Yes he gave a three month warrenty and i also have paypal protection.

Ive done a fair amount of reading on the subject and it seems no one whos had this issue repaired is having reboot issues.

Would you contact the repair guy directly or go through paypal?
    Id be concerned if I speak with him he may find a way to not refund the money. (empty paypal account and remove cards)

Saying that he has spanking good reviews on ebay so maybe i should trust him. Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

1, bin

EFI Fix worked a treat, thanks for the link.
    The BGA rework isn't usually worth doing, most companies I've seen doing it advise beforehand that it could last a month or a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Limskim

Cool, but just a note with reballing they more or less heat the solder between the GPU and motherboard. While the service I used, the guy replaced the GPU with non-leaded solder.

But yeah I think repairing it local, gives you the extra peace of mind.

Just wondering if you've had any issues with your machine since? Thinkin bout using this guy

Limskim wrote: »
    Just wondering if you've had any issues with your machine since? Thinkin bout using this guy

Its grand so far (about a year and 3 months since I got it done).

I no longer play games or anything that causes the machine to overheat. The fan only starts to spin-up once the machine hits 85c or more, serious design flaw (even on the newer macbooks).

But on a second thought, the 2011 macbook pro is no longer going to be supported with their latest macOS software release, so hard to justify if it is worth repairing a machine that is no longer supported (both hardware and software).

• Advertisement
Advertisement