Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCS Millennium Falcon 79192

Options
  • 05-09-2017 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd open a thread about this one. Be interesing to see what happens on the 14th. Who is getting it day 1? Who is not interested at all? €800 for a LEGO set?!! Even if it is 7,451pcs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Not me, I'm saving my sheckles for the Batman movie Wayne manor set. As a fallback I may get the ninjago city.

I've a 2 year old I play my lego with and the MF wouldn't appeal to either of us, not much fun building all that grey and too big to display, not much playability for us. Plus it's €700.

You can buy in the UK for €700 FYI (£650).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'll need to be patient, if Smyth's end up stocking it, which I'm not sure as it's currently listed as a lego exclusive, I'll wait for their sale before picking it up, if not I'll be in England at some point next year and I'll pick it up then, at such a high price it's worth waiting for a discount, even if that was only double points through the lego site.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Yeah, the price has really put me off; it's very hard to justify the €800 price tag even if it is a fantastic set. I'd be in the same boat as NinjaTruncs (wait till some form of a discount). If the Euro -> Sterling rate continues on the same trajectory, I wouldn't rule out an over-and-back same day trip to the UK to pick one up, especially if I got cheap Ryanair flights or some other bargain

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Spocker wrote: »
    Yeah, the price has really put me off; it's very hard to justify the €800 price tag even if it is a fantastic set. I'd be in the same boat as NinjaTruncs (wait till some form of a discount). If the Euro -> Sterling rate continues on the same trajectory, I wouldn't rule out an over-and-back same day trip to the UK to pick one up, especially if I got cheap Ryanair flights or some other bargain

One of the cheapest ways over is the bus from Busaras, then ferry and then another bus on the other side. It's a slog but a cheap slog and the price doesn't fluctuate wildly. Might be easier to get that giant box back as well instead of checking it in as luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

How often are UCS sets discounted? I was watching Slave 1 for the last year and at best it had 10%. I mailed LEGO about the 20% off the UCS tie in other regions at the weekend but no response.

I wouldn't buy this set from anywhere other than LEGO or in a store for guarantee.

So even 10% off this is significant. Smyths may discount if they don't sell but again maybe 10%.

So what would it cost to drive out of your way to get the 10% ie Ferry option or heading up North? You would need a very big box to check it into baggage handlers and even that has obvious risks.

Like the Porsche box you won't want a crinkle in it! I get the waiting for double VIP... as long as it doesn't become another 21309!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Triple VIP, UK store and one of the parcel forwarders will be the lowest total cost method for people to get this. Sailrail or eurolines will work out dearer and you need to value your time at practically nil

The AFOL Day set up for the brand retail stores might be fractionally cheaper but you need to be an active LUG member and they aren't very often. And again, value of free time...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Going to wait this one out for a while, a space issue more than a cost issue (but the cost issue is there too!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not going to have the space, or money, or time for it. Will stick with my ordinary sized one I think.

And as someone mentioned on another thread, the amount of grey could also be an issue as far as displaying it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, I'd *LOVE* to build it. But it's too big for a display piece for our house and the cost is insane.

If anyone just wants it as a display piece and wants someone to build it for them, PM me! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Sleepy wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd *LOVE* to build it. But it's too big for a display piece for our house and the cost is insane.

If anyone just wants it as a display piece and wants someone to build it for them, PM me! ;)

I say the same thing in my head whenever a giant set, UCS or otherwise comes out. Glad I'm not the only one who takes a pleasure in the building that is distinct from owning or displaying.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The building is the most enjoyable part!

My most recent build was the 31051 Creator Lighthouse, which was a simple enough build, but still very satisfying! Some of the 'Expert' builds are extremely clever, and really interesting builds. I'd imagine that this MF would be a great build. If only it weren't ridiculously expensive and huge!

I'm 100% getting it.
    Now as much as I want to get it at 00:01 September 14
    1) Space is the problem but that will be the case for years as kids are tiny. Not a big blocker as I'll just have to find a creative way to display out of their reach
    2) It's double VIP on Oct 10 and €80 VIP is a free Kylos Tie

Neither a real blocker and 2) just means waiting a few weeks with 1) still being the issue.

If I wait for Oct 10 double VIP what are the chances it will be out of stock?
    Problem with waiting longer as it will be out for a few years is many more cool and cheaper sets will come out draining the wallet.

I have been collecting bits for 10179 and I'm almost there. I would like to think I will end up less than €700. I peobably will as I bought mostly second hand stuff.
    I noticed the "rare" dish and rigging are on the new one so I look forward to seeing the daft prices falling. Some looper on bricklink is charging €750 for one of the LBG coloured rigging parts!

Does anyone know how long it takes for spare parts to become available on LEGO's "bricks and pieces" page after a set goes on sale?

The hype on 10179 was responsible for the brickpicker site. Investing in rare and desirable LEGO is not as exclusive once there is a website devoted to it. I would be interested to see how long the new MF is available for and if it becomes any way as desirable as 10179.

I doubt I'll get one as the price is a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Signed up for VIP since ive a AIB rewards for 5% back on lego which expires 19 september. That means €40 worth of vip points and €40 cash back. Strongly considering it now.

Seems like it sold out in under 2hrs today. Clever marketing ploy or underestimated demand?

Any one get an order through?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Combination of marketing ploy and that they are too big to warehouse loads of at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alzone

Is going to UK the best bet to get one of these monsters? Just back from Smyths and asked about the availability on the 1st of October. They don't know if they are going to have it on that day. But they said to keep an eye on their website a week before or to call the day before to see if they are going to release it on the day.

I'll need to be patient, if Smyth's end up stocking it, which I'm not sure as it's currently listed as a lego exclusive, I'll wait for their sale before picking it up,...

I've heard a nasty rumour there isn't a sale in Smyths/Ken Blacks this year - I checked the receipt I have from last year, and it was in the middle of September, so we might be out of luck this year :(

Apparently this won't be back in stock from Lego for a while. No date yet give by Lego. I wasn't planning to buy for a while maybe March, but if this is still limited stock pre Christmas it will be going for crazy prices in the lead up to Christmas.

• Advertisement

Apparently this won't be back in stock from Lego for a while. No date yet give by Lego. I wasn't planning to buy for a while maybe March, but if this is still limited stock pre Christmas it will be going for crazy prices in the lead up to Christmas.

Its already going for crazy prices on Ebay. Prices north of €1500.

I called LEGO CS and was told my backordered Set is likely to ship around 8th Nov. I asked if that means that Oct 1 public Launch will be nil and apparently so. Backorders will be shipped before [EMAIL="S@H"]S@H[/EMAIL] makes it available again to purchase online.

Like the Saturn V though I would personally rather wait than shell out stupid money

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

Well I couldn’t wait to buy it, so I dived in on the day and its on the way to me now, but I find legos tracking of packages to be like something for 2001!

I cant remember who the courier is so I cant really track it and the lego tracking is nothing short of a joke.

I’m going to London on Friday and really thought about waiting and buying here is STG and the obvious currency saving. But then I had to get it back here on a flight which means checking it in which has 2 issues, 1 cost which then makes it not far off the delivered price and 2 it going “missing”

I looked at others thinking of going over to buy one, personally. It depends on how you value time etc and if you’re getting a bus to get on a boat then a train or another bus it’s costing you more.

I bought a very good car in the UK in 2013 and saved 13k, that’s worth a day out of your life so is a smaller amount than that but right now you’ll save no more than 50 euro and that’s before you factor in travel costs.

So now I wait for it to be delivered it shipped on Monday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Courier" is usually dhl packet, which is an post in Ireland. However large shipments use DB Schenker which will just be some lad in van. This shouldn't be seen as large enough

I usually find LEGO tracking good. Mine was shipped today ahead of expectation. Woop! Still stumped on where to put it though

Anyone else get that email re the Falcon, "very limited stock" for the remainder of 2017, these things will be pricey come Christmas.

Anyone else get that email re the Falcon, "very limited stock" for the remainder of 2017, these things will be pricey come Christmas.

Yep, I got the same email to sign up for the notifications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I got one and promptly sold it 4 days later. Thinking I shoulda held on till nearer Christmas. Oh well only a measly 300 quid profit.

Back in stock to buy for VIPs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Too bad my AIB 10% back Lego offer expired 2 days ago :(

Advertisement