Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Quantum 70 Battery Replacement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

altor wrote: »
    Ive sensors in over 5 years with batteries still on 60% so should be another few years before you need to replace them.
    You can put the system in engineer mode, change the battery then when finished come out of engineer mode.

Wow. That's awesome to hear!!! Thanks Altor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

100gSoma wrote: »

That is HKC for you, a quality product.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

100gSoma wrote: »

You're welcome
    Any other questions please let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Never Loved Hovis

If anyone has a copy and sees this, please could I have a copy of the manual too?

I inherited the system when buying the house so will need to start with the manual then see if I can obtain the engineers code from the installer.

Thanks

If anyone has a copy and sees this, please could I have a copy of the manual too?

I inherited the system when buying the house so will need to start with the manual then see if I can obtain the engineers code from the installer.

Thanks

Due to copyright issues we are no longer allowed to share such manuals on board's.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 pablo22

KoolKid wrote: »
    Those panels have a timer which alerts for a new battery after 3 years regardless of the status of the battery.
    You will need the engineer code to reset the timer.
    Hi there please help me. I have replaced the battery in this alarm panel and still get a message that the battery needs to be replaced. I bought a new one and installed it myself and still get this message.
    I called the engineer and he came to me but I dont think he knew the code either. I was told that he had to get a new panel. I put a voltage tester on battery and it is reading 10.3 volts. I have the user manual but not the installation manual.
    Would be very gratefull for any help.
    Thanks a mill
    Pablo22

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The battery timer needs to be reset from the engineers menu. New panel? He's either conning you or he's really bad at his job. Any decent installer reset the panel.

Thanks a mill for the fast reply. I am having trouble with one of the sensors so I told the engineer to replace this and will not worry about the panel as the alarm is OK.
    Very grateful for the reply.
    Best regards
    Pablo22

Hi there would it be possible to send me the installation manual for HKC 70 Quantum please. I have the user manual which wont sort my problem.
    I have fitted my system with new control battery but getting the same message battery needs to be replaced. This my first time using this site so if I make any errors will apologise in advance.
    Thanks a mill
    Pablo22.
    Can forward my email if required.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi

Unfortunately Boards.ie no longer allow us to share manuals. You would need to contact HKC or a licenced installer.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for the reply. Just want to set the replacement of a new battery in the alarm.
    Best regards and thanks again.
    Pablo22

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

Lads before I am divorced can someone jeplp me witth engineer codes on a Quantum 70 please?????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd hate to see you divorced but unfortunately Boards.ie no longer allow us to help you here with engineer codes.

Lads before I am divorced can someone jeplp me witth engineer codes on a Quantum 70 please?????

You could try a default of the system.
    Remove factory link, mains and battery.
    Power up on battery.
    If not engineer locked you could just default the codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 corklanger

PMed you that manual.

Hi, could you PM me the manual please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭davidconroy46

Did you get sorted with the battery in quantan? Have you eng code?

corklanger wrote: »
    Hi, could you PM me the manual please?

Thanks

Hi

Unfortunately we are no longer allowed help you here with manuals. If you contact the manufacturers or an installer I'm sure they will help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭davidconroy46

Hope you got sorted mick with battery in alarm? If not pm your number

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OhTeddyTeddy

hi, was just wondering if this has happened to anyone. 
    My father changed a battery in a sensor in his SW-1070 alarm but now the sensor is not being detected by the control panel at all. I guess he did not do it in engineer mode. Is there a way to reactivate the the sensor?
    I also have the newer Quantum 70 alarm but have not changed batteries yet. The engineer installing it gave me the impression i could change the panel/sensor batteries myself but maybe its not so simple! 
    Cheers in advance

You should be able to. Whats the exact error message you are getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Hope it is OK to tag onto this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm getting the panel battery needs replacement warning for the Quantum 70, so I decided to get a new battery.

I have a few of questions before I start:

1. Do I enter engineering mode first before attempting to remove the panel cover.
    2. Will there be a tamper alert when I remove the panel cover? If so is it my normal code to silence that?
    3. Any need to cut the power for this job?

I do see the instruction to reset the timer after, so I'm good there.

Many thanks

Hope it is OK to tag onto this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm getting the panel battery needs replacement warning for the Quantum 70, so I decided to get a new battery.

I have a few of questions before I start:

1. Do I enter engineering mode first before attempting to remove the panel cover.
    2. Will there be a tamper alert when I remove the panel cover? If so is it my normal code to silence that?
    3. Any need to cut the power for this job?

I do see the instruction to reset the timer after, so I'm good there.

Many thanks

There is mains going to the panel so yes if unsure then safety first.
    There is a timer in the service, battery menu that needs to be reset as the battery has a 3 year timer.
    Depending on software version, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will reset the time also.
    If you put the system in engineer mode then you will not activate the alarms tamper when opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

altor wrote: »
    There is mains going to the panel so yes if unsure then safety first.
    There is a timer in the service, battery menu that needs to be reset as the battery has a 3 year timer.
    Depending on software version, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will reset the time also.
    If you put the system in engineer mode then you will not activate the alarms tamper when opening.

Cool, thanks for that. Ill cut the power to be safe. I imagine all settings are stored in flash memory or some sort so, power loss + battery swap wont reset/lose anything?

Cool, thanks for that. Ill cut the power to be safe. I imagine all settings are stored in flash memory or some sort so, power loss + battery swap wont reset/lose anything?

It should retain all settings.
    You may even find resetting the timer clears the battery fault also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 baw510

Those panels have a timer which alerts for a new battery after 3 years regardless of the status of the battery.
    You will need the engineer code to reset the timer.

would you be able to pm me how to change or reset timer as I am having same problem have beginners codes

baw510 wrote: »
    would you be able to pm me how to change or reset timer as I am having same problem have beginners codes

Enter engineer code, authorized by, user code.
    Service menu, press yes, engineer tools menu, press yes, battery menu, press yes.
    Scroll to replace battery, press yes.
    This resets the timer.

Press quit till you see exit engineering, then press yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hi guys, tagging on to end of this thread as it's answered most of my questions already. I'm getting the control panel battery replacement massage.

But I'm also getting from this thread that the warning is actually a timer rather than a battery level notice.

I have codes and understand how to change the battery and reset timer but would prefer to hold of on replacing until the battery is low.
    Is there any way of checking battery level in system menus?
    If not, what is the easiest way/simplest and cheapest equipment to check it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

MacPlum wrote: »
    Hi
    I've had this system for 4 years, and for the last 6 months or so it's been telling me I need to replace they battery whenever it is unset:
    "control panel internal battery pack needs replacing"
    The people I got it from wanted £100 + £30 for the battery +VAT to come and do it and, having looked into it, I could see it appeared to be a 2 minute job.
    I ordered a replacement battery, and have just put it in, but when unsetting it, I'm still getting the same message.
    So as I see it, there are 3 options:
    1) The replacement battery is a dud (was bought from a reputable source)
    2) There is some other fault with the Panel - not necessarily the battery
    3) There is some kind of secret alarm engineer code/trick to reset the message.
    I personally think it is option 3 (in which case can someone share it?), but wondering what others thought likely?
    Thanks
    Pete

Yes Pete its a continuous hand out to these guys and their installers I have had a litany of paying out to HKC.
    We decided to go for their product about 4 years ago. Coming on foot of an attempted break with my wife nerves on edge I felt in order to bring reassurance to living again a wireless system was our only option lets just say between the system the installation and ongoing costs it has proved to be an amazingly expensive business.

One of the selling points for us was that the system integrated with Smart Phones we were told all you had to do was download the HKC App from google Play-Store however that turned out to cost €10 x 2. Later we found out if you have to change your phone you have to buy the app again that's cost us a further €40. We built a small extension and had to get the installer to move 3 window alarm contact units (old units not replacements) and reset the alarm 20 minutes work that cost €100.
    Now we are getting this message God only knows what this will cost if we cant install it ourselves.
    So you can see its a money swallow-hole with this wholly owned Irish ALARM company

Setanta_og wrote: »
    Yes Pete its a continuous hand out to these guys and their installers I have had a litany of paying out to HKC.
    We decided to go for their product about 4 years ago. Coming on foot of an attempted break with my wife nerves on edge I felt in order to bring reassurance to living again a wireless system was our only option lets just say between the system the installation and ongoing costs it has proved to be an amazingly expensive business.

One of the selling points for us was that the system integrated with Smart Phones we were told all you had to do was download the HKC App from google Play-Store however that turned out to cost €10 x 2. Later we found out if you have to change your phone you have to buy the app again that's cost us a further €40. We built a small extension and had to get the installer to move 3 window alarm contact units (old units not replacements) and reset the alarm 20 minutes work that cost €100.
    Now we are getting this message God only knows what this will cost if we cant install it ourselves.
    So you can see its a money swallow-hole with this wholly owned Irish ALARM company

As a professional installer I have to query a few things in your post.

How come it costed you € 10 each to download the HKC App, that actually costs € 7.99 ?
    I would take that up with Google or HKC if I were you.

Also there seems to be something else technically wrong as well, the fact that when you changed phones, it mysteriously costed you € 40, I am baffled at that.
    If you have an Android phone and get a new Android phone, your Apps download to your new phone because they are all tied to your email address, perhaps you had an issue there.
    It is the exact same procedure with Apple phones, once you have downloaded the App then it stays with you and again you do not need to buy it again.

Whilst I am reluctant to guess as to what your Installer charged you for whatever work was involved, I have to ask you, how could he have moved those contact units from your old windows and fit them to your new windows in the one visit ?

All things in life cost, that is the way of it, for example, just within the last 20 minutes I had one of my own customers onto me by text. He had some issue with his Internet Router.
    Thanks to the HKC App, which this customer is delighted with, I was able to go into his system, from my own phone, as if i was in front of his keypad.
    I was able to reprogram his system here from my own couch, to disconnect it from his troublesome Wifi and let it operate away on all of the mobile operators GPRS networks.

I am sure his home broadband provider will sort out his Wifi and when they do, I can again reconnect to it remotely and establish that means of communication.

As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

MacPlum wrote: »
    Hi
    I've had this system for 4 years, and for the last 6 months or so it's been telling me I need to replace they battery whenever it is unset:
    "control panel internal battery pack needs replacing"
    The people I got it from wanted £100 + £30 for the battery +VAT to come and do it and, having looked into it, I could see it appeared to be a 2 minute job.
    I ordered a replacement battery, and have just put it in, but when unsetting it, I'm still getting the same message.
    So as I see it, there are 3 options:
    1) The replacement battery is a dud (was bought from a reputable source)
    2) There is some other fault with the Panel - not necessarily the battery
    3) There is some kind of secret alarm engineer code/trick to reset the message.
    I personally think it is option 3 (in which case can someone share it?), but wondering what others thought likely?
    Thanks
    Pete
    kub wrote: »
    As a professional installer I have to query a few things in your post.

How come it costed you € 10 each to download the HKC App, that actually costs € 7.99 ?
    I would take that up with Google or HKC if I were you.

Also there seems to be something else technically wrong as well, the fact that when you changed phones, it mysteriously costed you € 40, I am baffled at that.
    If you have an Android phone and get a new Android phone, your Apps download to your new phone because they are all tied to your email address, perhaps you had an issue there.
    It is the exact same procedure with Apple phones, once you have downloaded the App then it stays with you and again you do not need to buy it again.

Whilst I am reluctant to guess as to what your Installer charged you for whatever work was involved, I have to ask you, how could he have moved those contact units from your old windows and fit them to your new windows in the one visit ?

All things in life cost, that is the way of it, for example, just within the last 20 minutes I had one of my own customers onto me by text. He had some issue with his Internet Router.
    Thanks to the HKC App, which this customer is delighted with, I was able to go into his system, from my own phone, as if i was in front of his keypad.
    I was able to reprogram his system here from my own couch, to disconnect it from his troublesome Wifi and let it operate away on all of the mobile operators GPRS networks.

I am sure his home broadband provider will sort out his Wifi and when they do, I can again reconnect to it remotely and establish that means of communication.

As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

As a very professional customer let me clarify a few points for you.

I except there is €2.01 change out of a tenner for the app but at that it’s still too expensive when this it is seen to be an integral and innovative element of the sale pitch associated with the product and particularly so when the app did not transfer as described by you. When we contacted the installer we were advised to speak to HKC where in turn we were advised that reinstalling the app was the only way to reactivate smart support that meant repurchase on Playstore.

Over the time since installation both our phones for one reason or another have had to be replaced twice so technically that cost €32.

While I except €7 is not €10 and €32 is not €40 this additional cost should not exist at all. You don’t need to guess what the installation cost as I won’t be elaborating any further.

However, I will outline the remedial work referred to basically it involved removing 6 self-tapping screws removing the contacts from the old windows and repositioning them in a similar location on the new windows re-calibrating the system to recognise these changes and the project was done.

Thanks for the cost of living advice but its wasn’t a router problem we were dealing with and to finish this exchange I would agree with you there are no free lunches or should there be but it is a known fact that sometimes launches don’t stand up to their billing (pun intended) we have come away from with that feeling

Advertisement