Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jesus that's mental. Very lucky the damage wasn't worse! I was only thinking this morning that maybe I should get a fire extinguisher for the car... I think this is a sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

UK Car, bog standard S trim car bought in clondalkin Dublin deffo get fire extinguisher mechanic said never seen anything like it I'm assuming that's what fuses are meant to do pop before they go on fire well clearly that didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Googlnig the fuse card layout and looking at where your fusebox is worst affect i.e it got the hottest seems to point to fuses for heated seats, sunroof or lumbar support - maybe double check your own manual.

Must have given you some fright :(

Thanks Yeah got some bloody fright and shes in bits. We just driving into work yesterday morning . Heard some sort of crackle thought it was the radio and all of a sudden smoke started to come out of air vents as we opened the drivers door a small flame shot out from fuse panel which we put out. As for what your saying we don't have heated seats or sun roof or electric seats its just a bog standard car. Also there is actually no fuse layout on the manual which is a COMPLETE JOKE only found this out when I went looking for fuse layout

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Cleaned the headlights yesterday with some cleaner i got on amazon. Amazing stuff. No cloudiness left and it only took 5 Mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mossy50 wrote: »
    Thanks Yeah got some bloody fright and shes in bits. We just driving into work yesterday morning . Heard some sort of crackle thought it was the radio and all of a sudden smoke started to come out of air vents as we opened the drivers door a small flame shot out from fuse panel which we put out. As for what your saying we don't have heated seats or sun roof or electric seats its just a bog standard car. Also there is actually no fuse layout on the manual which is a COMPLETE JOKE only found this out when I went looking for fuse layout

We had that exact same issue happen to a fleet Passat a couple of years ago, and lets just say that it could have been much, much worse.

428409.jpg

Wheels suggest that was a Comfortline.

Was too far gone to get any idea why it happened, but driver reported exact same issue as above.

R.O.R wrote: »
    We had that exact same issue happen to a fleet Passat a couple of years ago, and lets just say that it could have been much, much worse.

[IMG.]Quoting image means a ban![/IMG.]

Wheels suggest that was a Comfortline.

Was too far gone to get any idea why it happened, but driver reported exact same issue as above.

Thanks of course it could it could be much worse just don't expect it on a 4 year old Passat ours is an ex fleet car too LEX AUTOLEASE with F.S.H. oh well well just have to see what happens thanks for all the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Very strange, I saw a Passat cc a few weeks ago on my road with the whole front end completely burned out ...total mess ...asked the owner what happened and he said electrical fire ...clearly they have a serious electrical issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

20170919_035154.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Replaced the Mondeo ST TDCI with Octavia VRS. Nice difference in more refined power delivery. Spin up the Conor Pass last Sunday morning. Fog for the last section

IMG_20170917_113818_zpsngjg7aec.jpg

IMG_20170917_113806_zpsxlgnpk2l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Over in Chicago visiting family and decided to hire a car. Got given a Camaro RS convertible. Must say, even though it's only the v6, it has a lovely bark when you put the foot down.
    It's in the 30s over here and it's just lovely putting the roof down in it.

Decided to take a spin up to Woodstock in her
    Fans of groundhog day might recognise the place

cNCcDGG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

okane1 wrote: »
    Replaced the Mondeo ST TDCI with Octavia VRS. Nice difference in more refined power delivery. Spin up the Conor Pass last Sunday morning. Fog for the last section

Had a look at that a few months back in Castlebar but alas it was out of my price range. Lovely Car....Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

KERPOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

The bat mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Ch
    statto25 wrote: »
    okane1 wrote: »

Had a look at that a few months back in Castlebar but alas it was out of my price range. Lovely Car....Enjoy!
    Cheers. Bought up while up there on holidays. Must say a very nice garage to deal with, very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Over in California at the moment, the rental company kindly upgraded me too a 430i convertible, lovely motor to be driving along on the Pacific coast highway!

EzTp3

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

This is my latest purchase, black edition 150bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Went down to Royal Steering Wheels to get a new steering wheel for the 325Ci today, and I'm so happy, they really did a superb job on it and the feel is fantastic, and seeing 35 mpg on the (admittedly over-optimistic) OBC isn't bad for a straight six either considering that 40 of those miles since I filled it up were town driving, plus there were a few jams on the motorway on the way back!

I'm a stickler for keeping cars stock but once I saw the look of the nappa top/bottom and perforated sides I knew I was having it and seeing as I had already broken my self imposed rule of keeping it stock for the leather I decided it would be rude not to have the stitching done in M colours as well:P.

A before and two after pics:

zXovhID.jpg

emZfNnd.jpg

w3jlJCR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Picked up this bangernomics purchase less than two months ago, had few small bits sorted, alternator, drop links and rear bushes, and a seal in the inlet manifold, but tight as a drum with 256k miles on the clock, and a one owner car from new, with tons of receipts for work done.

Paint really lets it down with bad lacquer peel on bonnet and roof, but a much nicer place to sit than the 206 estate I used to have, seriously thought about wrapping it for the laugh, some sort of camo wrap to suit the fact it'll spend it's life parked in forest car parks when I go biking, but couldn't justify the cost.

428708.jpg

rizzodun wrote: »
    Picked up this bangernomics purchase less than two months ago, had few small bits sorted, alternator, drop links and rear bushes, and a seal in the inlet manifold, but tight as a drum with 256k miles on the clock, and a one owner car from new, with tons of receipts for work done.

Paint really lets it down with bad lacquer peel on bonnet and roof, but a much nicer place to sit than the 206 estate I used to have, seriously thought about wrapping it for the laugh, some sort of camo wrap to suit the fact it'll spend it's life parked in forest car parks when I go biking, but couldn't justify the cost.

We used to have an S40 like that, always had a soft spot for Volvos as a result, nice to see one still on the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Killinator

Wheel looks great captain, love the stitching.
    I notice they feature it as an example on their homepage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'll be booking my BMW wheel into them. Fantastic job done.

Killinator wrote: »
    Wheel looks great captain, love the stitching.
    I notice they feature it as an example on their homepage :)

Cheers, yeah once I saw a photo of it I was completely sold on it! I love the stitching most of all, it helps lift the interior as there's a bit too much black in it for my tastes.

Interestingly just going for smooth leather on all of the wheel wouldn't have been any cheaper. I also had a choice of standard leather or nappa leather, again there was no difference in price. I went for nappa top/bottom (since it wasn't any extra, although even if it was more expensive I would still have paid for it) and perforated sides.

It's £130 or about €147 (at today's exchange rates) to get an E46 wheel done (plus postage), for any boardsies in the UK Jack will fit the wheel there and then for just £15 or €17 extra, it took him about 20 minutes to do it (10 of which was me talking to him about what he does and how he does it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

for any boardsies in the UK Jack will fit the wheel there and then for just £15 or €17 extra.

What's the reason for the extra charge?

What's the reason for the extra charge?

People tend to post their old wheels to him, he retrims them and then posts them back. The alternative is what I did, where you go down to him and he will have a steering wheel already made up for you, he will swap over the airbag and the trim pieces from your old one to the new one and then he takes your old wheel (and will retrim that for someone else), hence the extra cost, well worth it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

People tend to post their old wheels to him, he retrims them and then posts them back. The alternative is what I did, where you go down to him and he will have a steering wheel already made up for you, he will swap over the airbag and the trim pieces from your old one to the new one and then he takes your old wheel (and will retrim that for someone else), hence the extra cost, well worth it though.

Still don't get it - an extra cost usually entails an extra cost to the manufacturer/service provider. I don't see any extra effort on their part.

Edit - actually, just thinking about this. He is doing extra work, fixing up the airbags. Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Still don't get it - an extra cost usually entails an extra cost to the manufacturer/service provider. I don't see any extra effort on their part.

Edit - actually, just thinking about this. He is doing extra work, fixing up the airbags. Is that it?

He's performing labour, you have to pay for labour. £15 for removal of the old wheel, airbag, Trims etc, refitting the new wheel and airbag/buttons/Trims takes time. He's a business.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My current collection.

UA6cliI.jpg

JRJ2JUX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

2007 520d owned from new... after wash, polish and wax....

[IMG][/img]37030380300_a55a8aab85_z.jpgIMG_4097 by pjmnpjmn, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]37030382840_4b1d4cf207_z.jpgIMG_4095_LI by pjmnpjmn, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]36576761984_a4a1ff7718_z.jpgIMG_4094 by pjmnpjmn, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]36576764714_938fc543c3_z.jpgIMG_4093 by pjmnpjmn, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You've held on to the car for 10 years!?! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement