Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leveling Tips

• 22-09-2017 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys/Girls,

Ok so I'm not getting as much playtime as I would like so I'm slowly making my way through the light level grind on my first character.

My problem is I seem to have hit a road block, I'm currently light level 270-275 and I'm finding it very hard to progress past this point. I feel I'm slightly under leveled to do the raid if I even found time and I wouldn't want to hold other people back (I hate feeling like I've been a carry.)

I've been doing the call to arms and other weekly quests/events so I was hoping for any tips/tricks on ways to get decent level drops? :confused:

also I'm going to start my alt's soon so if anyone has any pro tips on how to speed the leveling of these up that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    ImANoob08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Exotics. Thats the best way to raise your light level. When you get an exotic, it's going to be 5-10 levels above your current power level. So you then pick your current item and infuse it into the exoitc.

There are two decent ways of getting an exotic. Farm heroic public events....and luminous engrams. Thats it basically. You get luminous engrams from quests that reward "Powerful gear". These are weekly resetable quests.

They are..... complete a nightfall, complete a bunch of crucible games, complete a bunch of Public events on a selected planet, Complete a bunch of activities as a member of a clan, and finally complete the raid.

Thats 5 drops of gear that is assured to be above your light level every week. They will drop legendaries or exotics that you can use or infuse to raise your light level.

Also, you can complete these 5 on your alt too. When your alt gets to 20, transfer over your best weapons. This will dramatically boost your light level on your alt. So while going from 200-265 power probably took 6 hours of play on your main.....you will do that in 20 minutes with your alt thanks to your high light weapons you already had.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You're not underleveled for the raid at all. Possibly a bit for the last bit but the rest will be fine.

There's not much you can do apart from the weekly milestones and farm for exotics unfortunately. For alts though I would advise getting to level 20 before you finish the final story mission and unlock the tower, this way you can transfer all your highest guns over from your main character before you get the rewards from the npcs at the tower. Also worth buying a 270 exotic armour piece from Xur today to pass over straight away. Obviously don't do any of the strike/crucible/fashpoint quests or weekly milestones before hitting level 20 and getting all your gear over either.

You should have your alt up to roughly the same LL as your main within an hour or two of finishing the campaign if you do the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

When is best to cash in the regional tokens? Sitting at 238 at the moment and making a push at the weekend. Is there any benefit to holding on to them until higher light levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

jarain wrote: »
    When is best to cash in the regional tokens? Sitting at 238 at the moment and making a push at the weekend. Is there any benefit to holding on to them until higher light levels?

I'd advise hitting 265 without using them via pretty much any means (I liked Regional Chests & Lost Sectors for this)
    Then I'd start the main 3 exotic quests so you get Drang and the Mida Mini Tool (at least), or pust on and get the 3 exotics if you can.
    That'll mean you'll have Guns thats are like 275, and Armour that's 265, so use the Tokens to bring your armour up to ~275ish then.
    Think of leveling vendors as "plugging the gap". So you're level is 278, but that's cause of 2 pieces of gear, you can use the vendors to creep your other gear up to 273 from 268 (or whatever, if that makes sense).

EDIT: I overcomplicated that. You are 272, your Boots are 265. The Rewards should be ~270, so you are hoping for ~270 boots essentially

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd advise hitting 265 without using them via pretty much any means (I liked Regional Chests & Lost Sectors for this)
    Then I'd start the main 3 exotic quests so you get Drang and the Mida Mini Tool (at least), or pust on and get the 3 exotics if you can.
    That'll mean you'll have Guns thats are like 275, and Armour that's 265, so use the Tokens to bring your armour up to ~275ish then.
    Think of leveling vendors as "plugging the gap". So you're level is 278, but that's cause of 2 pieces of gear, you can use the vendors to creep your other gear up to 273 from 268 (or whatever, if that makes sense).

EDIT: I overcomplicated that. You are 272, your Boots are 265. The Rewards should be ~270, so you are hoping for ~270 boots essentially

I'm 275 and have done none of the Exotic Gun quests and only run one Nightfall.

Finished the story, loads of public events, about 5 strikes and a few games of Crucible.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's worth saving tokens to power level your alts once you hit the "everything dropping at 265" wall on your main I think (if you want more than one character that is).

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'm 275 and have done none of the Exotic Gun quests and only run one Nightfall.

Finished the story, loads of public events, about 5 strikes and a few games of Crucible.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're 275 because you did the NF and got "Call to Arms" the Crucible Milestone?

Cause like, you'd be 265, then the NF gives you a 285 weapon, that makes you overall level now like 268 instead (maybe repeat this logic for a few more exotics you got from public events? or any other avenue to pursue powerful gear from the clan/milestones etc).

I was just trying to avoid saying "farm public events, hope for exotics" which is technically the optimum method of going over 265 (if you avoid "end-game" or pvp) as 1) it's repetitive and 2) RNG based.

Vendor drops generally drop around -5 of your level, so I just found them handy to use for when I felt I had 1 or 2 slots holding me back by being like 12 levels below

If you don't do the NF, never get an exotic (for whatever reason) and don't start the exotic quests and don't go for any "powerful gear" you'd be forever 265.

The good thing in this iteration is you don't HAVE to do any 1 or 2 activities. It's more like the end of D1 where you can kinda "play your way" and still go down a path to get endgame rewards. Unlike the choke in early D1 that was Raid or NF (and nada else)
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's worth saving tokens to power level your alts once you hit the "everything dropping at 265" wall on your main I think (if you want more than one character that is).

Very much this. Once my Titan hits 200 from playing the Campaign, I can transfer over my 300 weapons, making him overall 260 but with 200 armour, so the armour drops will be 260 (for 1st reward), then 270, then 280 etc. Basically with about 6 or 8 planetary vendor rewards, you can creep your alt up to like ~10 levels below your "main"

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're 275 because you did the NF and got "Call to Arms" the Crucible Milestone?

Cause like, you'd be 265, then the NF gives you a 285 weapon, that makes you overall level now like 268 instead (maybe repeat this logic for a few more exotics you got from public events? or any other avenue to pursue powerful gear from the clan/milestones etc).

I was just trying to avoid saying "farm public events, hope for exotics" which is technically the optimum method of going over 265 (if you avoid "end-game" or pvp) as 1) it's repetitive and 2) RNG based.

Vendor drops generally drop around -5 of your level, so I just found them handy to use for when I felt I had 1 or 2 slots holding me back by being like 12 levels below

If you don't do the NF, never get an exotic (for whatever reason) and don't start the exotic quests and don't go for any "powerful gear" you'd be forever 265.

The good thing in this iteration is you don't HAVE to do any 1 or 2 activities. It's more like the end of D1 where you can kinda "play your way" and still go down a path to get endgame rewards. Unlike the choke in early D1 that was Raid or NF (and nada else)

Very much this. Once my Titan hits 200 from playing the Campaign, I can transfer over my 300 weapons, making him overall 260 but with 200 armour, so the armour drops will be 260 (for 1st reward), then 270, then 280 etc. Basically with about 6 or 8 planetary vendor rewards, you can creep your alt up to like ~10 levels below your "main"

My highest weapon is 283 and armour is 278. Both dropped from last week's nightfall. I've a 281 exotic grenade launcher I got from a Public event last week and a 276 exotic helm.

I only completed one Call To Arms and that was when I was around 240.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Thanks for the advice lads. Will be pluging away at it for the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Best method to level subclass? Tried having the xp boost on and farmed public events for an hour but not even 1 rank achieved, I have all the quests and adventures still to do.

• Advertisement

dudeeile wrote: »
    Best method to level subclass? Tried having the xp boost on and farmed public events for an hour but not even 1 rank achieved, I have all the quests and adventures still to do.

You don't rank the subclass.

Each node is unlocked at a certain level (level 15 etc) and you use tokens to buy those nodes. You earn tokens on each level upgrade I think.

Also you get Upgrade Tokens from Adventures (it will tell you the Adventures reward on the Map screen)

You don't rank the subclass.

Each node is unlocked at a certain level (level 15 etc) and you use tokens to buy those nodes. You earn tokens on each level upgrade I think.
    Also you get Upgrade Tokens from Adventures (it will tell you the Adventures reward on the Map screen)

I'm already level 20. You receive 1 rank up point every level so I'm looking for the method to earn the most xp to fill all the subclass nodes.

And that is what I refer to as leveling up the subclass.

I'm already level 20. You receive 1 rank up point every level so I'm looking for the method to earn the most xp to fill all the subclass nodes.

And that is what I refer to as leveling up the subclass.

So you want to know the fastest way to earn tokens to buy those nodes?

So you want to know the fastest way to earn tokens to buy those nodes?

I'm fairly confident it's only from Adventures once you hit Lvl20

Nah, think of it as the fastest way to earn Bright Engrams :D

I think your right. I picked the best options for my playstyle in each subclass and only unlocked what I wanted.

Nah, think of it as the fastest way to earn Bright Engrams :D

.... But Bright Engrams have nothing to do with Subclass Upgrade nodes, they are just cosmetic stuff and weapon mods :confused:

.... But Bright Engrams have nothing to do with Subclass Upgrade nodes, they are just cosmetic stuff and weapon mods :confused:

For every level you attain, you receive a bright engram, when you hit 20 you stop gaining further ranks but you still receive all items associated with ranking up.

For every level you attain, you receive a bright engram, when you hit 20 you stop gaining further ranks but you still receive all items associated with ranking up.

You've lost me. What are "All further items"? You're talking about 2 completely different things.

I must have gotten 50 Bright Engrams since I hit lvl20, and I definitely do not have ~50 Upgrade Points for my Subclass nodes.

As I said, aside from the ones you get for levelling up before you hit 20, the only way to earn them is Adventures

Bright Engrams don't contain Upgrade Points, but they do occasionally give bright dust.... which is essentially D1 silver dust

• Advertisement

You've lost me. What are "All further items"? You're talking about 2 completely different things.

I must have gotten 50 Bright Engrams since I hit lvl20, and I definitely do not have ~50 Upgrade Points for my Subclass nodes.

As I said, aside from the ones you get for levelling up before you hit 20, the only way to earn them is Adventures

Bright Engrams don't contain Upgrade Points, but they do occasionally give bright dust.... which is essentially D1 silver dust

Yes I know, stop thinking whatever you're thinking and start fresh.

I want to hit another level, essentially level 21. I want that so it gives me another subclass node to unlock. The reason I mentioned Bright Engrams is because they are earned the same way, an example only. Of course you don't have 50 upgrade points, you only need 16 (i think) to fully unlock, when you're done you're done, I'm not done. I need 4 more points for my titan.

Edit: I just checked, they're called Upgrade Points.

Certain Adventures so. Hover over them on the map to see the rewards. Generally the longer ones give upgrade points, the shorter ones give tokens etc. Some of them are really kind of cool I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

had a dream last night I got dropped a piece of LL 350 gear..... the grind is real.

Okay, so a little update on this.

At the start of the week your first 3 levels come quick and fast. After that there are a few adventures that award an Upgrade Point:
    1. Earth - Calling Them Home
    2. Earth - Anti-Anti-Air
    3. Earth - Reversing The Polarity
    4. Titan - Bad Neighbours
    5. Nessus - Lost Crew
    6. Nessus - Deep Conversation
    7. Io - Postmodern Prometheus
    8. Io - Unexpected Guests
    Fastest way to earn XP should then be:
    • Public Events especially Heroic
    • Patrols and Challenges
    • Adventures

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I never had any real issue with upgrade points, everything's upgraded at this point. It was much quicker than D1 which from memory took ages

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I never had any real issue with upgrade points, everything's upgraded at this point. It was much quicker than D1 which from memory took ages

Yep much improved over D1. On my alt I did as little as possible and ended up finishing the story and used only public events where I needed to increase my level. This left me with around 4 or 5 nodes to unlock, earlier in the week it was no problem, the adventures are the way to go after that.

For general xp gains, heroic public events award the most xp from what I've read online, no exact figures but it seems to be the general consensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

I was doing public events yesterday on my alt with Wonda to help get a few levels up to run through the story.

I'm PRETTY sure that with no boost if you finish a heroic you get 3k xp, that's not including the xp gained for killing ads.

Got up about three-four levels in less than an hour and we were taking it handy to be fair.

Advertisement