Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Destiny 2 Story Discussion and Raid Speculation (SPOILERS Inside)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,970 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

By that logic if you didn't complete Kings Fall you haven't finished The Taken Story.

Yeah - and that is possibly a problem to be honest, but then we did kill Oryx in our world, and stop the immediate taken threat, and there was an ending to that. We then went further to utterly destroy Oryx in his own dimension.

I did think we could have seen Gaul beaten in the story and then his second in command (and more so the might of the cabal military) and The Almighty be the raid location - but I can see why finishing that story arc inside the single player campaign is an important step.

Atheon was separate to the D1 campagin.
    Crota was integral to Dark Below.
    Skolas was beaten in House of Wolves - PoE was separate to the story.
    Oryx was arguable, imo.
    Aksis was separate to the Rise of Iron story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

but then people who can't raid (for whatever reason) don't get a proper end to the the Destiny story. To be fair to all, the story needed to be done in the single player campaign.

Yes, they needed the story proper to be wrapped up in SP. Which has been done for all story in D1.

D1 story finished off in The Black Garden, then we go into VoG.
    Dark Below story finished off in The Wakening, then we go into CE.
    House of Wolves finished off in Queens Ransom, then we go into PoE.
    The Taken King finished off in Regicide, then we go into KF.
    Rise of Iron finished off in Tomb of the Iron Lords(?), then we go into WotM.

With every story finishing outside of the raid, it's natural to follow suit here, but at least the story leading into the raid made sense. It doesn't really in D2, if you don't have the CE book. That gives a little more insight into why Callus is coming to us on the Leviathan, and who he is. It's a shame that couldn't be incorporated more in the main story. I think it would have made the transition from story to raid a little smoother.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,122 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The approach to strikes is similarly crappy. Even vanilla destiny, as many issues as it had, managed to integrate the strikes into the world. Just plonking them in a playlist makes them look like a complete afterthought.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The approach to strikes was similarly crappy. Even vanilla destiny, as many issues as it had, managed to integrate the strikes into the world. Just plonking them in a playlist makes them look like a complete afterthought.
    On the other hand, I would argue the strikes have an interesting story to them, which wasn't really seen in D1. I much prefer the style of strikes in D2, but yes - being separate to the story we experience in single player and only accessable via strikes playlist is weird.

I do think there are possible hints at future content in the strikes we have.

Raid order is different this week, apparently.

Hounds, Gauntlet, Baths, Boss.

Wonder if the encounters themselves will be harder or tougher based on their position - I don't remember feeling like enemy damage was any different in the sections last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Wonder if the encounters themselves will be harder or tougher based on their position - I don't remember feeling like enemy damage was any different in the sections last week.

Doubt it. See a team has beaten the raid in 27 mins? There are now viable 1 phase strats for both the Pleasure Gardens and Calus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

So our official title is now: Guardian of the Light, Saviour of the Last City, Captain of Exodus Black and Assistant to Asher Mir.

Devrim has a line where he says we find ourselves in a similar fight for survival as the Fallen and we may need to work together in the future.

Could we be the prophesied Kell of Kells.

So our official title is now: Guardian of the Light, Saviour of the Last City, Captain of Exodus Black and Assistant to Asher Mir.

Devrim has a line where he says we find ourselves in a similar fight for survival as the Fallen and we may need to work together in the future.

Could we be the prophesied Kell of Kells.

eb829ce319fc001901553ba71d6cbf7f.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

On the other hand, I would argue the strikes have an interesting story to them, which wasn't really seen in D1. I much prefer the style of strikes in D2, but yes - being separate to the story we experience in single player and only accessable via strikes playlist is weird.

I do think there are possible hints at future content in the strikes we have.

If you look at the nessus map, in the top left hand corner you will see a place its name is something like Well of Dust. Head over to it and there is an entrance very like the entrance door into Atheon. Go inside and there is a vex gate that brings you off to a locked area. Bring up your map and you will notice you are now in a blank space on the map, just north of "The inverted spire" so I would imagine based on that the areas will open up with future DLC, or at least thats me hoping that happens :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I could definitely see more Vex stories. They seem to have fleshed out their "personality" quite a bit more than in D1. Maybe someday they'll get around to the Rasputin and the other Warsats...

• Advertisement

I could definitely see more Vex stories. They seem to have fleshed out their "personality" quite a bit more than in D1. Maybe someday they'll get around to the Rasputin and the other Warsats...

There being only 1 warmind (Rasputin) and the others just being connected offshoots of it was news to me. I thought Rasputin was the earth warmind. Charlemagne Mars etc.

There being only 1 warmind (Rasputin) and the others just being connected offshoots of it was news to me. I thought Rasputin was the earth warmind. Charlemagne Mars etc.

There were separate warminds, but iirc Rasputin took control of the others.

There were separate warminds, but iirc Rasputin took control of the others.

One of the story missions in D2 states Rasputin was the only warmind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

One of the story missions in D2 states Rasputin was the only warmind.

That was surprising alright, I thought that they might make use of Charlemagne for a Mars/ Cabal raid in D1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Seeing y'all talk just illustrates how little attention I pay to stuff because none of what you're saying makes any sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm pretty sure this is questionable, no? I mean, I know a few of the raids have started with dogs this week but isnt this a choice?

It all depends on which door you decide to plant your 3 flags down on. If you plant on the Sun door? Thats Bathing Pools. Plant on the dog door? Thats gardens. Plant on the Axes door? Thats Gauntlet.

Aren't you able to choose in the first room?

Edit : Apparently not. It seems every raid is starting with dogs so that would be too much of a coincidence. It must be forced.

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is questionable, no? I mean, I know a few of the raids have started with dogs this week but isnt this a choice?

It all depends on which door you decide to plant your 3 flags down on. If you plant on the Sun door? Thats Bathing Pools. Plant on the dog door? Thats gardens. Plant on the Axes door? Thats Gauntlet.

Edit : Apparently not. It seems every raid is starting with dogs so that would be too much of a coincidence. It must be forced.
    How dare you question me.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Kirby wrote: »

Sure they use the term "trials" so essentially they can have them in any order they want to vary it. Pass the trials and you get to go up against the big bad then :)

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Sure they use the term "trials" so essentially they can have them in any order they want to vary it. Pass the trials and you get to go up against the big bad then :)

I actually wondered if new trials might become available on a weekly rotation - through some other door. Maybe it is something they will do for the hard mode, that would be cool. The way the raid has been designed seems to really lend itself to such a change - so much so I would actually think it a massive missed opportunity if they haven't done it.

Finally got the raid done last night. Daddy-Dyl hoping in with us at the boss and helping us get it done. Actually were getting close every run from the off last night, just some mistakes and unfortunate situations stopping us. Got it done though. I'd feck all ammo for the last moment. Pita!

Ammo is a massive issue in that boss fight. It's unbelievable! It doesn't drop nearly enough considering the mechanics.

• Advertisement

So we got the Dogs done last night, I have to say I actually enjoy that encounter and man an arc titan can really melt a dog with his double nades :D We got to the gauntlet but it was getting late so another run at that tonight. We have the mechanic just need to be fresher when running it :D

So we got the Dogs done last night, I have to say I actually enjoy that encounter and man an arc titan can really melt a dog with his double nades :D We got to the gauntlet but it was getting late so another run at that tonight. We have the mechanic just need to be fresher when running it :D

I really like all three trial encounters. Have all three of them down at this point. Not to the point we will get through them 1st run, but its only ever a mistake or poor judgement stopping us most of the time now. The mechanics are sorted. Even feeling comfortable at the final boss now in terms of what to do.

Will be interesting to see how they are changed up for hard mode - apart from bigger health pools and more damage.

Less time protection in baths? Some trickery with the orbs? Additional Psion projections?

2 more dogs in the garden? (two plants are unused in the howling phase).

Less orbs on the final run in gaunlet? Less orbs in general (meaning you have to be spot on running between points as you DO have have to make it from one to the orb two away if you are quick but if there is any delay you're dead in my experience). Maybe more projections here too?

More uncertain landscape at the boss? More ads? Random order of plates? (being deliberately vague for anyone who hasn't got there).

I really like all three trial encounters. Have all three of them down at this point. Not to the point we will get through them 1st run, but its only ever a mistake or poor judgement stopping us most of the time now. The mechanics are sorted. Even feeling comfortable at the final boss now in terms of what to do.

Will be interesting to see how they are changed up for hard mode - apart from bigger health pools and more damage.

Less time protection in baths? Some trickery with the orbs? Additional Psion projections?

Less orbs on the final run in gaunlet? Less orbs in general (meaning you have to be spot on running between points as you DO have have to make it from one to the orb two away if you are quick but if there is any delay you're dead in my experience). Maybe more projections here too?

More uncertain landscape at the boss? More ads? Random order of plates? (being deliberately vague for anyone who hasn't got there).

I have a strange feeling that they may add in a new encounter for hard mode. Like they refer to them as trials so maybe throw a new one in the mix or something to really change it up a bit.

I have a strange feeling that they may add in a new encounter for hard mode. Like they refer to them as trials so maybe throw a new one in the mix or something to really change it up a bit.

I was saying that last night in the raid. Given the sturcture of the raid, I actually think it would be a massive missed opportunity if we don't have different encounters completely.

Even after the staging area - and after going through one of the 3 trials doors from there, I think there are other hallways and doors that could lead to different areas. At least I remember not going the right direction to the encounter a few times.

It would be a big departure for a raid to change in that way, but this is a new game, and the general raid design is very different - so as I say, it would be a massive missed opportunity (that seems very obvious) given the design we see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Cheers. :D Could you be really vague describing what the START of the raid is like? Haven't set boot down on it yet. :rolleyes:

I have been watching the Toob Vidya's to at least be aware of the mechanics

Cheers. :D Could you be really vague describing what the START of the raid is like? Haven't set boot down on it yet. :rolleyes:

I have been watching the Toob Vidya's to at least be aware of the mechanics

If you want to know then you can go in and solo it :P

Finally finsihed the raid :D Overall its not as hard as you may think in fairness.
    The final boss isnt too hard, we had him melted pretty dam quick in fairness :D

Finally finsihed the raid :D Overall its not as hard as you may think in fairness.
    The final boss isnt too hard, we had him melted pretty dam quick in fairness :D

I think the reality of its difficulty is that, last week, we just didn't know it.

I remember Oryx being the same. First few times I tried: "OH MY GOD THERE IS EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE - WHAT IS SHOOTING ME!? OMG I'M DEAD".

Within a few more completed runs: "Right, ads down. 1 up, 2 up, 3 up. Knight One down, Knight 2 down. Knight 3 down - you guys got knight 4? Cool... middle guys... chest open... grand."

I reckon we are basically at that point already with Calus (or those that have ran that fight a few times and got it done). But we are playing it on normal mode, to be fair.

When we booted up the raid tuesday night I said I would be disappointed if we didn't make it to calus that night - and make a decent attempt at him. I think the first 3 trials are now fairly down (for the group I have ran them a few times with). More people are getting used to the gardens routes. more people are getting used to running the gauntlet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So does the giant fish just stop? Like before it eats Nessus? :confused:

• Advertisement

So does the giant fish just stop? Like before it eats Nessus? :confused:

MyNameIsByf probably has the answer, probably has a YT vid on it.

Feels like there is a lot of story missing there - maybe hard mode will flesh it out more.

Advertisement