Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tomb Raider (Reboot)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like she has gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Weird neck.
    me_irl wrote: »
    The light/shadow for her chin gives her neck a weird elongated look all right.
    Looks like she has gills.

screenshot_17.png
    What appears to have happened here is that the designers for this poster wanted to use an image of Vikander confidently facing out into a perilous ocean, but when taking the photos of her doing so realized that its viewers wouldn't be able to adequately see her face. As a result, they Photoshopped her face to swivel around a bit, and now we're left with this monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The trailer trailer. :)
    Full one out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well.. her neck looks ok in the sneak peak.

Guh though, that poster makes my throat feel wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Guess it's hard to gauge on that trailer but it kind of looks like a run of the mill action tv series more than a high budget Hollywood film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Can't be any worse than some of the Resident evil offerings.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There'll be a lot of pressure on Tomb Raider off the back of Wonder Woman's success. Completely unfair pressure but it'll be there non the less.

At least if compared to previous Tomb Raider films it's a pretty low bar.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There'll be a lot of pressure on Tomb Raider off the back of Wonder Woman's success. Completely unfair pressure but it'll be there non the less.

Not to mention getting over the hurdle of being the first ever game adaptation that isn't rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not to mention getting over the hurdle of being the first ever game adaptation that isn't rubbish.
    Well Uwe Boll is retired from directing these days.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Hasn't been a decent video game adaptation since Super Mario Brothers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

At least if compared to previous Tomb Raider films it's a pretty low bar.

That's a very good point. If it's a dud and doesn't perform fantastically people will immediately write off WW as a blip and assume that people don't want to see female hero movies which is incorrect: People don't want to see BAD female hero movies.

WW was good fun and exciting (especially in comparison to the rest of the modern DC movies). I'm looking forward to the next WW movie..... But still unsure of Justice League. That seems more of the DC same.

That's a very good point. If it's a dud and doesn't perform fantastically people will immediately write off WW as a blip and assume that people don't want to see female hero movies which is incorrect: People don't want to see BAD female hero movies.

WW was good fun and exciting (especially in comparison to the rest of the modern DC movies). I'm looking forward to the next WW movie..... But still unsure of Justice League. That seems more of the DC same.

The problem is that you'd struggle to think of any other proper female lead action films so the comparisons are inevitable. There are so many male led action films every year that they live and die off their own merit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was under the impression the conversation was more about whether this might finally be a game adaptation that doesn't suck, than about the success or otherwise of female-led action films. Outside of the game industry itself, Lara Croft is yesterday's woman in many respects, I can't imagine there's that much cultural investment in this - so if anything it can only exceed expectations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film seems to based off the reboot game, which is one of the most joyless, characterless mass murder action games I've ever played. I'd hold out little hope for this.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I was under the impression the conversation was more about whether this might finally be a game adaptation that doesn't suck, than about the success or otherwise of female-led action films. Outside of the game industry itself, Lara Croft is yesterday's woman in many respects, I can't imagine there's that much cultural investment in this - so if anything it can only exceed expectations

I think initially it was just another game adaptation but the massive financial success of WW in the meantime will change the conversation.
    There's always the possibility that WWs success will bring an entirely new audience to this film regardless of how good it is or isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They have the style of the games (moreso than Angelina's movies) but I'm not sure that will make for a good movie overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Aaaaand its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's been taken down. Was it 1min long?

Found this one: https://www.gamespot.com/videos/tomb-raider-movie-first-official-trailer/2300-6440955/

edit: and it's gone too

edit 2: found it again :)
    https://twitter.com/LaraCroftFrance/status/910245605410312192

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It seems to be taking a lot of its material straight out of the first rebooted Tomb Raider game which isn't a bad thing but the feel of it seems all wrong, it just looks very cheap and feels even more like a tv series, which is a pity as it seems like they have the right intentions but don't have the budget to carry it off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

IT does seem to be pretty much the first of the reboots alright (Right down to the climbing axe). I've no real interest in seeing it but I'm not too concerned about the footage shown. It isn't out until next year and there is a LOT of post production and effects work to be done. The girl looks the part but, as someone posted above, the first of the reboots was so grim (2nd wasn't any better). No sense of fun anymore. Just about killing as many people as possible. Now, don't get me wrong, Uncharted has a HUGE bodycount. But at least it's fun!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Embedding the official trailer, complete with the proper aspect ratio :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That looks absolutely pants and totally overly CGI'ed and I can't wait to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Looks very like the computer game. Hopefully they tidy it up a bit- CG isn't great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Visually it's missing the most distinctive thing about the reboot game: the gory horror/exploitation/Descent atmosphere, which was obviously incompatible with the film's PG-13 rating. Instead they seem to have dialled up the silliness. Looks like another bland attempt to emulate Nolan's Batman.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

This looks like they've remade the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot game into a film. It's an awesome game, recommend it. And they look to have pretty much eradicated the bimbo/sex-appeal side of Lara. I'm sure it'll be good not amazing, I'm sold, you can have my €12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

The Guardian have an opinion piece bemoaning the perceived privileged white girl characterisation based on the trailer. Even as I guy who studied social studies in Uni I'm starting to feel beaten down by the constant hijacking of film and tv to push gender and identity politics.

The Guardian have an opinion piece bemoaning the perceived privileged white girl characterisation based on the trailer. Even as I guy who studied social studies in Uni I'm starting to feel beaten down by the constant hijacking of film and tv to push gender and identity politics.

At the same time, the same article's comments have pretty much leapt on what was obviously a kneejerk 'outrage' piece from someone without any obvious experience or knowledge of the source material.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to it; The Guardian is a fine newspaper that does a lot of good work & investigative journalism, but you can spot their blatantly trolling, pearl-clutching screeds a mile off. Real anti-Daily Mail stuff, perfect for sharing on FB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Give me Angelina's guns and Chris barrie's flared nostrils any day.

I'm pretty sure the character is working as a bike courier before she sets out on this adventure. Not sure how that sits with the privileged white girl angle?
    I'm all for pointing out problematic films, games, TV shows etc. but at least wait until the bloody thing comes out and you've seen it before pulling it apart. Being "Woke" is becoming a marketable brand and it's quickly losing any impact it may have had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm pretty sure the character is working as a bike courier before she sets out on this adventure. Not sure how that sits with the privileged white girl angle?

Actually it fits very well. A lowly bike courier becomes a kick-ass adventurer. That's fairytale privileged white girl stuff.

Not that I think this film needs criticising for it. I'm just saying :)

Advertisement