Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Decent petrol cars sub 8k

Options
  • 19-09-2017 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Im currently selling my Mazda 3 1.6d 2010 and looking to go back petrol. I have her up for sale but no calls so i might look at trade in. I want to go back petrol. I recently bought a BMW 318ci to run about in until i sell the Mazda and its returning about 33mpg which isn't bad. So i think if i can get a decent petrol car that has a bit of power and decent economy id be happy, problem is my budget is 8k and its all diesel territory around that price.

was looking at golf 1.4tsi and jetta but stories about the tsi engines aren't too convincing.
    I do about 25K a year so if i have to go back diesel it wouldn't be too bad either but prefer petrol
    Any advice on cars i might consider

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Im currently selling my Mazda 3 1.6d 2010 and looking to go back petrol. I have her up for sale but no calls so i might look at trade in. I want to go back petrol. I recently bought a BMW 318ci to run about in until i sell the Mazda and its returning about 33mpg which isn't bad. So i think if i can get a decent petrol car that has a bit of power and decent economy id be happy, problem is my budget is 8k and its all diesel territory around that price.

was looking at golf 1.4tsi and jetta but stories about the tsi engines aren't too convincing.
    I do about 25K a year so if i have to go back diesel it wouldn't be too bad either but prefer petrol
    Any advice on cars i might consider

Looks a nice car but the pics don't do justice I think. I can see plenty of interior dirt and dust. Also the dusty engine bay is not overly enticing.
    Get her clean and polished properly and looking mint for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i did clean her that day but driving home, it just picked up dust, ive no where at home to wash car. I might try bucket and water and hope it turns out ok

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

i did clean her that day but driving home, it just picked up dust, ive no where at home to wash car. I might try bucket and water and hope it turns out ok

It needs to look pristine and immaculate- like cars on main dealer forecourts usually look- because at this price point, that's what you are up against. Yours wouldn't entice me, and I'd click onto the next Mazda 3.
    A few quid on a professional valet could be well spent.

will try cleaner pics cheers
    Any one info on the tsi engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

will try cleaner pics cheers
    Any one info on the tsi engines?

Avoid 140/170 bhp versions(supercharger + turbo setup)

122/125 bhp versions are fine.

• Advertisement

does the 122/125 feel under powered or they decent enough. The BMW im driving feels bit underpowered at 140 bhp but then again the turbo in the golf may be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Timing chains can stretch in all versions of the 1.4 TSi engine. You would buy a decent Mk5 Golf GTi for 8k.

looking more smaller engine for tax purposes and keep it decent on fuel. I could keep the BMW i have but i know insurance is gonna be a pain come renewal. Could possible get focus eco boost in uk but it could be pushing my budget. I will keep hunting anyway

Advertisement