Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Entering Property Market - Advice Needed

• 18-09-2017 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

So I am planning to mortgage an Apartment for between 50,000 to 70,000 and rent it out to Students and basically let it pay itself. Then potentially purchase more as time goes on etc. All sounds perfect but any flaws in it? I have very little experience when it comes to these sort of things but from what I have seen I have never seen a broke landlord

Any pointers would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This will be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

How are you going to get a mortgage when you have no job?

And even if you did get a mortgage, how are you going to pay it if a tenant stops paying rent (like you have apparently)?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

amcalester wrote: »
    How are you going to get a mortgage when you have no job?

And even if you did get a mortgage, how are you going to pay it if a tenant stops paying rent (like you have apparently)?

Well the plan is to get a job and save for a few years first

liam650 wrote: »

Have you paid off your outstanding debt to Littlewoods? Because if you haven't, or don't, then the banks wont touch you.

As for advice paying your bills which includes rent would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm guessing your pretty young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

I'm more interested in the apartments that are going for 50/60 grand care to share?

I'm more interested in the apartments that are going for 50/60 grand care to share?

3 Bed Apartment for 60,000 rent at 350 a month per room, over 12,000 a year, apartment paid off in 5 years

3 Bed Apartment for 60,000 rent at 350 a month per room, over 12,000 a year, apartment paid off in 5 years

What about tax?
    And interest?
    And vacant periods, students generally only rent for 9 months of the year?

What about tax?
    And interest?
    And vacant periods, students generally only rent for 9 months of the year?

say between 5 and 6 years then remember the deposit that i will have paid will reduce the mortgage repayment time. During summer months reduce rent, but 350 is only a ballpark number, rents for rooms in this particular area are between 350 and 500 per week so i am being conservative in the estimate

say between 5 and 6 years then remember the deposit that i will have paid will reduce the mortgage repayment time. During summer months reduce rent, but 350 is only a ballpark number, rents for rooms in this particular area are between 350 and 500 per week so i am being conservative in the estimate

Nope, tax alone will eat up to 50% of the rent.

And theres maintenance costs, management fees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Where can I get a 3 bed apartment for 60k with a 12k a year return!?

LG1234 wrote: »
    Where can I get a 3 bed apartment for 60k with a 12k a year return!?

You can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

You can't.

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Where us there a 3 bed apartment for sale for 60000 that makes 1500 a week? Where?

Tax is 50%? your having a laugh lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How much do you plan on earning in your job?

By the time you pay some tax at the lower rate and some at the higher rate and usc then yeah tax is 40 to 50 %.

Keeping it on the D - LO id say and all will be perfecto

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

All sounds perfect but any flaws in it? I have very little experience when it comes to these sort of things

This op is the biggest pointer I can give you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

liam650 wrote:

Any advice you get now will most likely be obsolete in 5 or 6 years time when you might be ready to buy.
    I see some comments above from other posters.
    If you get a job & save for a deposit, I think you need 20% deposit for a property that you won't be living in,you will need to show regular, consistent rent payments while you save or you won't get a mortgage.
    If you have a bad credit rating it'll will take 5 years to clean it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Liam, just think about all the bright ideas you had a few years ago to start on a road to 1,000 after tax.

And where you are now.

That will give you a feel for the challenge ahead.

Patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

liam650 wrote:

50% is correct.
    liam650 wrote:
    Keeping it on the D - LO id say and all will be perfecto

Property is registered with the revenue the day you take possession of the keys.
    You have to register as a landlord. All it takes is one tenant to report you to revenue. When revenue catches you they decide how far to backdate the tax owed & then they add penalties & interest.

You always run the risk of bad tenants. It can take more than a year to evict tenants & they us do not bother to pay rent while you try to evict them. After you do get them out the property might be wrecked. I've seen places trashed. I saw one place where someone peed in the fridge. All carpets and furniture had to go on a skip. All the while you have to pay the mortgage.
    You can get good tenants took but you always have to be prepared for the bad ones.

Hello, so this summer gone I took out a 12 month fixed term lease in a house share, all was grand until a few months back I fell into financial difficulties and couldn't continue to pay rent, so I said look I can't afford it anymore, he didn't take that into consideration at all, I said I will have to vacate the premises as can't afford anymore, he then says he will track me down and bring me to court, well tracking me down homeless will not be easy

So any advice in this situation? Also I checked and the tenancy or any of them in the house are not on the PRTB list and on an off note few months back he refused to put his own name on the heating company bill and wanted one of the people in the house to, even though he is the owner, said we will all go without heating this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Who is he? Your landlord or some guy living in the house with you? It looks you are not a tennant, only licensee, so RTB rules do not apply here. Not sure if fixed lease is valid in this case. Even if you are a tennant, you can end fixed tennancy agreement by subletting the place or if landlord refuses to sublet.
    By the way, theres no chance he'll bring you to court, that would be WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for him

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So the buy to let idea didn't work out?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057788407

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Oh look, it's Liam.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Threads merged.
    OP- please, just please.........

How would you feel.if somebody wasn't paying you your rent in your hypothetical apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

So I am planning to mortgage an Apartment for between 50,000 to 70,000 and rent it out to Students and basically let it pay itself. Then potentially purchase more as time goes on etc. All sounds perfect but any flaws in it? I have very little experience when it comes to these sort of things but from what I have seen I have never seen a broke landlord

Del Boy, is that you?

This lad is gas!

My advice to you would be not to do this, but the decision on this one will be made for you by the banks who won't give you a mortgage due to the bad credit history you have accumulated due to your persistent defaulting

• Advertisement

If the landlord will bring me to court but he hasn't registered the property under the PRTB then surely it will not work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement