Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Does anybody place iny stock in this chap or is he another James Madden character http://kasimsweatherwatcher.com/2020-snow-lovers-ice-age-uk-winter-forecast/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I would think it will be a normal Irish winter again
    The ones with significant cold spells/snaps seem to come only every 9 or 10 years since the 80's
    We're therefore not due one until at least 2019/20

That's really not how weather works...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Does anybody place iny stock in this chap or is he another James Madden character http://kasimsweatherwatcher.com/2020-snow-lovers-ice-age-uk-winter-forecast/

I never heard of him so I can't make an opinion yet.

Ok so he always forecasts a cold Winter like James Madden BUT he does it out of optimism and excitement.

I think you should take his forecasts with a large pinch of salt - just like with any forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

glightning wrote: »
    In fact, summers have become so consistently bad here since about 2006 that most people now think of the March to May period as our 'summer' as that period generally delivers better conditions that the actual summer does. its not just people into the weather that think that way either. Anyone you speak to feels the same about it.

Exactly the same here in Donegal funnily enough, everyone expects a good dry settled spell in the spring then cool gloomy weather all summer.

For the coming winter I would echo Onierics hopes for some good old fashioned storms, I've lived abroad for the past few years and winter storms are the thing I missed the most from our climate. Not just the events themselves but the excitement leading up to them is always great with the ever changing track and gradient predictions. Bring it on :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Long range forecasts are all experimental pseudoscience at best and clickbait profiteering at worst with most of them falling somewhere in between. It's definitely an interesting subject to discuss but there isn't any "best" person/org to look to. If you like their theories and methods then that's the best place to look. The sample size of LRFs and their verification is way too small to have any meaning right now. Hopefully in a few years some real scientific evidence will advance this particular area of meteorology.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ah it's that time of year again:)

If we look back over the last sixty years, we don't seem to have gone more than 10 years without one decent snowfall. Even in the blowtorch winters of the nineties, i recall a couple of good snow events. So with this in mind, assuming i don't kick the bucket in the meantime, we will see a good snow event within the next three years.

Ah it's that time of year again:)

If we look back over the last sixty years, we don't seem to have gone more than 10 years without one decent snowfall. Even in the blowtorch winters of the nineties, i recall a couple of good snow events. So with this in mind, assuming i don't kick the bucket in the meantime, we will see a good snow event within the next three years.

Well we're nearly at solar minimum which will be in like 2018-19 and just after solar minimum is the best time for cold winters according to research.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Given how poor the weather has been lately I've pined for the Winter Thread of old so I was delighted to find this years one is alive and kicking already.

Echoing what everyone else is saying I'd have mild and dry over wet and windy any day. I think chances for a major snow event are slim and none but can we have at least one night looking at the street lights this year please?

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here's how the Winter is looking like today as courtesy of everybody's favourite model, the CFSv2 :rolleyes:. The three monthly anomalies show December-January-February as an option but for the individual months, we only have December and January to go off of right now.

Winter overall - Very wet, mild and stormy.

December - Looks to be quite a wet and mild one. Not as extreme in either case as January looks or even the Winter overall but nevertheless, still miserably wet and mild.

January - Exceptionally mild and wet. Looks like a record breaking warm January and wettest January since 2014, even more so than January 2016.

What a terrible outlook!

UPDATE on the CFSv2 for Winter

Winter overall - Very mild but not as wet as last time it showed.

December - Close to average temperatures on the warmer side. Fairly dry.

January - Alarmingly mild or warm, OTT warmth it's showing! Rather wet also.

February - Straightforward unsettled mild and wet month. Very wet in parts of the northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

February - Straightforward unsettled mild and wet month. Very wet in parts of the northwest.

Watching a few LR forecasts for the States last night, and many seem to be going for a similar winter to 2013-2014 over there. (cold NE/warm SW) If correct, could help fire up the N.Atlantic jet for us.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Watching a few LR forecasts for the States last night, and many seem to be going for a similar winter to 2013-2014 over there. (cold NE/warm SW) If correct, could help fire up the N.Atlantic jet for us.

The SST anomaly profile on this day in 2013 is very similar to now with a positive PDO, a cold ENSO - though here in 2017, not nearly as cold (same with the PDO in 2017 of not being nearly as warm interestingly). The Atlantic is fairly mixed like now. On the side of SST anomalies, it does looks like it. Coming after a very quiet Winter - and also the fact that Winter 2017/18 will be at the same part of the Solar Cycle as Winter 2006/07 (Winter 2005/06 & Winter 2016/17 were at the same part of the Solar Cycle and were way too similar!), I wouldn't be surprised if it were to come off.

anomnight.8.22.2013.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I'm choosing to focus on this rather than the other predictions! :D
    I really hope the mild wet weather predictions are wrong.
    The last 2 winters there was NO snow days to speak of, where I lived. Maybe a couple of flakes in the sky that disappeared when they touched the ground. It was a major disappointment :(

I don't even need a Big Freeze but just a few days of snow showers and decent snow cover would satisfy me.

Just want to ask - if the results in the link are a good chance the weather could be cold, then why is everyone else predicting mild?
    Is it because the link is for U.K. weather and they are more sheltered from the Atlantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

That will do nicely . If we're not going to get significant cold and snow well then Very Mild and a bit wet will be grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon this winter will be yet another mild winter. Haven't had any proper lying snow sine 2010, just temporary dustings/coverings lasting no more than a few hours.

The Altantic has been raging here since July, with no let up in sight so here's hoping things may quieten down by December, giving us more of a chance of something colder during mid winter.

The predictions are for a very mild winter but as we know predictions often don't work out as this summer showed us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    Haven't had any proper lying snow sine 2010, just temporary dustings/coverings lasting no more than a few hours.

The Altantic has been raging here since July.

Here's something I posted in the Hurricane Irma thread over the weekend.

https://twitter.com/BMcNoldy/status/905770545899286528?s=09

Interesting....2017....2010....hmmm! :P

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Here's something I posted in the Hurricane Irma thread over the weekend.

https://twitter.com/BMcNoldy/status/905770545899286528?s=09

Interesting....2017....2010....hmmm! :P

:P plus I think it's plain coincidence and no more than that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104637091&postcount=58

Gonzo wrote: »
    I reckon this winter will be yet another mild winter. Haven't had any proper lying snow sine 2010, just temporary dustings/coverings lasting no more than a few hours.

The Altantic has been raging here since July, with no let up in sight so here's hoping things may quieten down by December, giving us more of a chance of something colder during mid winter.

The predictions are for a very mild winter but as we know predictions often don't work out as this summer showed us.

The thing is that the analogues I did - and the CFSv2 model alone were showing a poor August but I went completely against them.

pad199207 wrote: »
    That will do nicely . If we're not going to get significant cold and snow well then Very Mild and a bit wet will be grand.

No thank you :D, a Winter like 2016/17 again if not cold and snowy.

• Advertisement

I'm choosing to focus on this rather than the other predictions! :D
    I really hope the mild wet weather predictions are wrong.
    The last 2 winters there was NO snow days to speak of, where I lived. Maybe a couple of flakes in the sky that disappeared when they touched the ground. It was a major disappointment :(

I don't even need a Big Freeze but just a few days of snow showers and decent snow cover would satisfy me.

Just want to ask - if the results in the link are a good chance the weather could be cold, then why is everyone else predicting mild?
    Is it because the link is for U.K. weather and they are more sheltered from the Atlantic?

Some people want to be more optimistic than others - and sometimes they do it out of hope but other times, they do it to get views and sales; just look at the likes of James Madden or Nathan Rao.

I have a couple of reasons why I'm not hopeful for Winter 2017/18. Firstly, I was extremely disappointed with Winter 2016/17 seeing all the signs that were showing especially for the earlier part of the Winter to be colder than the latter half. This was false, both December and February were very mild with January rather mild. As a result, I'm lowering my expectations and I'd rather be shocked or stunned than disappointed. Secondly, we're not in the ideal part of the solar cycle for a cold Winter - although you can never guarantee with our weather (like the Winter of 1981/82 was at the same stage this solar cycle is in). But unlike that solar cycle which was solar cycle 20, solar cycle 24 (2008-present) has been much weaker and has been the weakest solar cycle since solar cycle 16 or 12. Recently, we've had a huge spike in sunspot numbers - possibly the highest spike since early 2016 or late 2015. I will be researching on previous solar cycles to see if this is a common occurrence with weak solar cycles - as meteorologists have claimed, and the winters that followed these huge spikes in sunspot numbers out of nowhere towards solar minimum. Thirdly, one of the things we look at for predicting the Winter is the NAO in May. This May had a negative NAO but the SST anomalies made it look like we had a neutral NAO. The only neutral NAO I can find since 1900 is 1979/80 which was a close to average Winter in terms of temperatures but with only one Winter to consider for this, it's making it very difficult.

Winter 1990/91 proves that no matter if all the methodology is against a cold Winter, it doesn't mean it can't be one but as I said, I'd rather lower my expectations and be shocked or stunned than be hyped and then disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It looks like most year swe don't get a proper winter or summer in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Since the Arctic is basically screwed it follows that everyones weather is too. I forsee a lot of weather like today this Winter. I also predict a lot of storms as Atlantic is warmer than normal and I wouldnt be surprised to see a major flooding event yet again

The extreme is now the norm.

pauldry wrote: »
    Since the Arctic is basically screwed it follows that everyones weather is too. I forsee a lot of weather like today this Winter. I also predict a lot of storms as Atlantic is warmer than normal and I wouldnt be surprised to see a major flooding event yet again

The Atlantic being warmer than normal is actually good especially when the middle swave of the North Atlantic is cold, compared to the Cold Blob from 2014-2016. Just saying.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Possibly imagining this but does it feel colder so far this September compared to last few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

A very mild winter ahead according to the latest ECMWF seasonal outlook dominated by a Euro Bartlett high and southerly winds over Ireland and Europe

https://twitter.com/gavinpartridge/status/909416033592717312

A very mild winter ahead according to the latest ECMWF seasonal outlook dominated by a Euro Bartlett high and southerly winds over Ireland and Europe

Not surprising but still disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

If there's no hope of significant cold well then I'd happily take that. Not the cold and wet

The Euro seasonals & monthly proved to be useless last year.

Regardless, a 'Euro Bartlett' isn't the worst set up for Ireland. Good chance of storms and impressive rainfall totals.

New Moon

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »

Atlantic storms tend to be more frequent and more intense when the 'AMO' is in a negative phase. Not sure a warm Atlantic is all that conducive to winter storm development.

New Moon

Advertisement