Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me an estate agent

• 06-08-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Who have you used in selling your house and what are your experiences of them? Who are the charlatans and who would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Who have you used in selling your house and what are your experiences of them? Who are the charlatans and who would you recommend?

In the middle of the process at the moment. Out of all the agents who came to talk to us the most professional I felt were O shea O Toole and Hutchison. The worst was Plamer, really unorganized and couldn't answer questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

That's akin to saying "recommend me an STD"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I had dealings with purcells Conor was very good and Thomas reid was also very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

In the middle of the process at the moment. Out of all the agents who came to talk to us the most professional I felt were O shea O Toole and Hutchison. The worst was Plamer, really unorganized and couldn't answer questions.

Could you tell me are they charging a flat fee or percentage of sale price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are female don't bother with Thomas Reid. Agree with kayaksurfbum's suggestions.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    If you are female don't bother with Thomas Reid.

I'm not but if I can gather what you're suggesting then it's enough to not go with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Could you tell me are they charging a flat fee or percentage of sale price?

Percentage. Everyone seems to go with 1.5% of sale price. But you can haggle a bit if you go with only one agent.

Percentage. Everyone seems to go with 1.5% of sale price. But you can haggle a bit if you go with only one agent.

The same as it was ten years ago. Might call o shea o toole up to the house then and see what they think re valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

I thought Mike in Guirys was a decent lad to deal with when we were selling.

I'm not but if I can gather what you're suggesting then it's enough to not go with him.

All I am suggesting is that he can be rather superior and less than helpful, I get the impression it is as a result of some sort of prejudice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Gillman1998

David Cusack at Brophy Cusack, as a buyer so far I would certainly use them if I were selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

I found William Quinlan on Mayors walk good, sold house fairly quickly. Wouldn't recommend Michael Guiry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I'm surprised people are recommending Hutchinsons, I went for a viewing with Joan Hutchinson last year and I found her one of the rudest people I have ever met. rolling her eyes at me when I took a few pictures, even telling me "Look. I have other people to meet, are you interested or not!". A few people had warned me about her but to see it in reality was something else. I declined and went with someone else.

I'm surprised people are recommending Hutchinsons, I went for a viewing with Joan Hutchinson last year and I found her one of the rudest people I have ever met. rolling her eyes at me when I took a few pictures, even telling me "Look. I have other people to meet, are you interested or not!". A few people had warned me about her but to see it in reality was something else. I declined and went with someone else.

This is what I'm looking out for, nothing as uncomfortable as viewing a property when the agent has a chip on the shoulder. It's not 2006 no matter what's on the news property wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Wow i had a really bad time of it with her too, I was travelling from Kilkenny everyday to see her and we had to get a house like, she just didn't seem like she was happy in her job at all and hated people.

Re estate agents choice by the way i would recommend Barry Murphy, I viewed several houses when going with a friend for some support and to ask questions etc and Barry Murphy was really nice and wasn't pushy or smart or treat us like we didnt know what we were doing. Quinlan I found to be a bit smug and would say anything to push the sale through which meant i couldnt really trust him.

Wow i had a really bad time of it with her too, I was travelling from Kilkenny everyday to see her and we had to get a house like, she just didn't seem like she was happy in her job at all and hated people.

Re estate agents choice by the way i would recommend Barry Murphy, I viewed several houses when going with a friend for some support and to ask questions etc and Barry Murphy was really nice and wasn't pushy or smart or treat us like we didnt know what we were doing. Quinlan I found to be a bit smug and would say anything to push the sale through which meant i couldnt really trust him.

Yes she came across like that to me as well, and she was handed the job by Mammy and Daddy so she wouldn't get away with that attitude anywhere else. If she hates it that much she should p!ss off and do something else. Nepotism is bad enough but getting someone like her makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I've used 4, in Waterford.

Avoid Manor Properties like the plague.

John Rohan, the same. Nice guy but I can't recommend him. They wasted a half a day on me by not telling me the full truth when I asked them some questions on a property I was going to see.

I like Brophy Cusack. They're good. Very little bull****. They seem to have very high asking prices though.

I also liked Barry Murphy. Knowledgeable and not pushy. Would recommend him, definitely.

They wasted a half a day on me by not telling me the full truth when I asked them some questions on a property I was going to see.

This. Why tell you lies and half truths about a property? All that happens is you are annoyed when you figure out the truth and they waste time showing a property that isn't suitable. I can understand that one person's 'compact' is another's 'not room to swing a cat' but being dishonest about simple facts, measurements, etc is just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

+1 for Barry Murphy. We were on the buying end, but if I was selling I'd choose him. Was the only one to contact us to say he had a new house if we were still looking. Not pushy, but a bit more proactive. Nice manner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

No personal experience of Barry Murphy but I hear the same thing all the time from people about him; not pushy and actually listens to you rather than tells you what he thinks you want to hear.

I had a poor experience with Palmers recently. (me a potential buyer)
    Bad enough for me to avoid them like the plague from here on in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

kuang1 wrote: »
    No personal experience of Barry Murphy but I hear the same thing all the time from people about him; not pushy and actually listens to you rather than tells you what he thinks you want to hear.

I had a poor experience with Palmers recently. (me a potential buyer)
    Bad enough for me to avoid them like the plague from here on in.

Unfortunately when you're buying a house you dont get to pick and choose which estate agent you deal with.

shockwave wrote: »
    Unfortunately when you're buying a house you dont get to pick and choose which estate agent you deal with.

This is true, and very exasperating. However it does help decisions on who will be doing the selling of the current house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

shockwave wrote: »

All the more reason that when selling your home you 'choose wisely grasshopper '. Currently looking at properties but if it's certain auctioneers I won't even consider viewing.

That's a bit 'biting off your nose to spite your face'? If I liked the look of a house I would view it regardless of the auctioneer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I think what's being said is that our experiences when buying a house would influence who we choose to sell a house for us.
    Understandable!

Had Barry Murphy around today. Lovely chap, no bs.

looksee wrote: »
    That's a bit 'biting off your nose to spite your face'? If I liked the look of a house I would view it regardless of the auctioneer.

It's one of the biggest spends of your life. I'm not about to bring a muppet into the transaction.But that's just me.

Yes she came across like that to me as well, and she was handed the job by Mammy and Daddy so she wouldn't get away with that attitude anywhere else. If she hates it that much she should p!ss off and do something else. Nepotism is bad enough but getting someone like her makes it even worse.

I was actually looking to rent a particular property in Butlerstown that i knew had been empty for a very long time and when i had asked her would the owners be willing to take an offer on the rent as i noticed it had been empty a long time she hit the roof, I later learned who the owner was and the house didn't lease for a long time, if that was me and i knew this was the attitude of people supposedly looking after my business interests i would be so angry, at the end of the day i was looking for like 50 euro a month reduction or even to ask the owner but the reaction i got, my god. KEEP AWAY

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Why not M Guiry? Found the staff there v helpfull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Harvest festival organisers...brilliant food festival.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Harvest festival organisers...brilliant food festival.

Are they also estate agents? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Are they also estate agents? lol

Doh...meant for credit due thread...my bad.

Closed on a property with Thomas Reid recently. Not even a thank you or anything.

Aloof is putting it nicely.

Edz87 wrote: »
    Closed on a property with Thomas Reid recently. Not even a thank you or anything.

Aloof is putting it nicely.

Couldn't be dealing with the likes of that, especially when they're getting thousands in the hand for showing a house a few times.

Couldn't be dealing with the likes of that, especially when they're getting thousands in the hand for showing a house a few times.

There are some absolute cnuts posing as businessmen in this city. Unreal how they have one face for the clients are are complete a$$holes to staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

1. John & Margaret Fogarty (Remax) are excellent and honest.
    2. Des & Conor Purcell are also good solid people.
    3. O' Shea O'Toole - very professional
    4. Liberty Blue - New to the market and hungry to sell. Different approach to selling. Worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Yes Boss wrote: »
    2. Des & Conor Purcell are also good solid people.
    3. O' Shea O'Toole - very professional
    4. Liberty Blue - New to the market and hungry to sell. Different approach to selling. Worth a punt.

Liberty Blue are just Bookaroom. I've never used them but there's plenty of bad reviews on here about them. Not sure if it's justified or not.

Few grand for throwing the ad up on Daft. Scandalous stuff.

Hopefully we get more person to person sales in the future, take the parasitic middlemen out of it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trueblue74

Had some dealings with Leslie Warren Estates a while back, good guy, straight up and knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fenfoz

Can not recommend Liberty Blue highly enough, bought a house through them highly professional and no messing about.

When selling my own house I got multiple EA's to value my house, all of them were basing there prices lazily on last house sold in the area, they took no consideration into work put into the house and just wanted a quick easy sale. Got Liberty Blue to sell house at much higher price then any of the EA's said it was worth.

Don't often post or recommend but I was highly impressed with Liberty Blue. In fact they were so good a family member also sold there house with them and were equally impressed.

• Advertisement

Lots of new members posting lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Seen quite a few properties over the past year or two, with multiple agents. Some are good and some basically just open the house and parrot back whatever is in the brochure - they don't even know the details themselves without reading it e.g. floor area/central heating etc.. It's a bit of an indictment of the profession when it's a big positive that someone calls you back when they told you they would.
    • Halley Grace - Tommy Grace showed us several places (3 I think) and always seemed more like an honest broker between two parties than a salesman - his advice was always to make an offer - any offer - and he could take it from there vis a vis negotiating with the vendor. Always came across as fair and knowledgeable, no complaints at all.
    • Heffernan Estates - Saw one place with Andrea Toner - she was on the ball in answering questions and actually finding out the answers that she didn't know off the top of her head. Moved the bidding process along very efficiently (we didn't actually buy the place) and did everything she said she would.
    • Palmers - Saw several places with various of the brothers. The first one they never showed up to the viewing and when we rang they said they hadn't managed to get the keys and we should just have a look around the outside. Another time the person due to show us around had a conflicting appointment and sent his brother who knew nothing about the property. Other viewings were ok.
    • DNG - Can't remember who this was but he turned up half an hour late after we had to ring him. First words out of his mouth were "this is a bank sale and I know nothing about it"

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Liked:
    DNG- the guy that shows us the house, gave us a quick guide around and then disappeared to leave us to explore by ourselves and answered any questions we had.

Guiry- showed up on time, wasn't too pushy, didn't have much knowledge of local area

Disliked:
    O'Shea O'Toole - arrived 40 mins late for the viewing, didn't introduce herself, first words out of her mouth was that the apartment was now €15k over the advertised price. Seemed like I was putting her out by requesting a viewing of the property. She ushered us out the door without a goodbye

Griffin- Absolute spoofer, requested for a private viewing, got a private viewing of the house hallway and in strolled about 8 other buyers behind me. He doesn't return calls, would only allow a builder to have a look at the place when it would suit him (i.e if he finished a viewing early and you could get your builder in there within 10 mins notice)

Barry Murphy- wanted to know how I would be paying for the house before even asking about the property I was interested in. I'm still waiting for him to call me back....2 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,899 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wendydoll wrote: »
    Barry Murphy- wanted to know how I would be paying for the house before even asking about the property I was interested in. I'm still waiting for him to call me back....2 years later.

i think we have a winner, if they're too busy to call back, they must be really busy, therefore must be really popular, i.e. really good!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think we have a winner, if they're too busy to call back, they must be really busy, therefore must be really popular, i.e. really good!:D

People seem to like him but I'm not going to chase them around when I'm going to be using their services to buy a house. I'll take my cash buyer money elsewhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yes Boss wrote: »

Margaret fed me a string of lies (5 years ago) about a property she showed me. I had all my homework done on it, knew one of the neighbours and availed of some internet info on how long the house had been on the market for, different asking prices it had had etc.

Now she may well have been instructed to lie by the vendor, but made my mind up about her for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Gregory Fitzgerald - Fitzgerald Estates. Avoid like the plague.

So unpleasant to deal with. He managed a rental property we were in and would never deal with him again. We reported smoke leaking into an upstairs bedroom from the chimney breast and hs answer was - what did ye expect in a rented house, Waterford Castle?!

We moved out and an hour later the house was up on daft 'available immediatly'. No intention of getting any repairs done.

Anybody here have any further estate agent experience in the last year? We ended up holding off on selling but are about to push ahead with it in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

After dealings with estate agents 2 years ago I found Barry Murphy personable and nice to deal with . I did not buy from him in the end as he did not have the house we eventually went for. However from speaking to him on the phone about other places I thought he was top class and if i was selling on he would be the first fella i would call.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

We sold through Palmer Auctioneers. I couldn't fault them. They were professional, courteous, everything you'd expect an auctioneering firm to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement