Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible Interview. Why did he bother?

• 08-09-2017 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Recently finished an MA, have been working freelance with an agency to pay my way through it but I'm not mad about it so i'm looking to settle down in a company.

Interviewed for a job which I am overqualified for (I'm a designer/videographer with 5 years of exp in jobs, running my own biz and freelancing) It was a JR position that required a diploma, 3 pieces of work and a year of work exp but the work was with a very cool company and seemed a bit more creative than what i'm doing at the moment.

I get the call to meet the manager. It went awfully from the get go

He kept putting me off by 15 mins. I was told to ask the staff for him downstairs in their place of work, they didn't know who I was talking about. The manager finally comes, he asks if the young man he is meeting has arrived (i'm a girl with a boyish name)

Instead of his office he does the interview right there in the workplace. He would not let me speak. He spent ages telling me about the company but when I tried to talk he interrupted me and kept laughing at me in this patronising way. He mentioned how many other people he was seeing for the position several times at this point.

He said he couldn't tell me salary or the work hours or daily structure without me even asking (said that would be in the second interview) spent ages talking about his kid, didn't ask me any questions. Some of the corporate work in my portfolio (which is about 2 pages out of 20 just to show the brands I work with which are international so mildly impressive but not wildly creative) he called donkey work "well its good you included donkey work we all have to do donkey work" over and over again. He passive aggressively poked fun at some of my other pieces of work but called some of it beautiful.

Said he would call Tuesday (interview was last Monday, seems way too long) to set up my second interview to meet his colleagues, said not to freakout if I didn't hear from him before Tues which was very odd (said don't go calling me or anything if you haven't heard from me and laughing)

Then as we were leaving he called me by the wrong name and walked away. Obviously I received no call about the second interview

My question is, if he had already seen my work and hated it already/knew he didn't want to hire me, why did he meet me. It was the most humiliating dejecting experience. I've never had an interview in which I didn't get the job and i'm more than qualified so i'm feeling really down.

I've 4 more interviews for really great positions next week and i'm terrified now. I actually feel sick with worry. Can anyone explain what was going on here or if they have had any similar experience?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Guy was a d1ck. He did it because he is a d1ck. Its what people like him do.

Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I would've called him out on being a complete bellend

Hopefully it's just a once off OP. On to the next interview..Don't let that get you down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 newjobhunter

Thanks! My SO said the same but he kind of has to say that so I was worried I had done something wrong but he was afraid to hurt my feelings!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You will most likely never encounter such a situation again but if you do just walk out, no explanation just go.
    Best of luck in your career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

you'll tend to encounter that kind of craic if you're applying to smaller business where the owner is acting as the manager, love to talk about themselves and make men of themselves recounting how they built themselves up. sometimes its a genuine case of a self made man who would have eked out a good business, but wouldn't be trained in how to properly interview candidates.

however, in the case of the one you just had, he sounds like a bit of a pr1ck anyway. just chalk it down to experience and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Done lots of interviews over the years. Every now and again you come across a complete tosser doing the interview. I usually stay till the end, thank them then leave and never get in touch with em again.
    If they offer you a job just say no thanks I got a different job offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

My reading of it is that he thought you were a man and wasn't impressed when you turned out to be a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    My reading of it is that he thought you were a man and wasn't impressed when you turned out to be a woman.

Really? Ffs not every man is sexist.. the lads a tosser and most likely would have acted the same if it was a male.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

sumsar wrote:
    Really? Ffs not every man is sexist.. the lads a tosser and most likely would have acted the same if it was a male.

I never said every man was. I have read the OP and various elements in it suggest he was being sexist.
    Totally agree he is a tosser btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He did you a favour, in a way.

That interview was so much bull**** you can easily and happily file it under "weird interview with utter bellend" and pass it off as meaningless in the greater scheme of things.

Had it been a saner interview but you didn't get the job it might have been a knock to your confidence, but I doubt that idiot reflects on you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Don't worry about it. The interview process is as much about you finding out about the organisation and the people who work there as it is about them interviewing you.

You've decided quite rightly by the sound of things that it's not for you. Put it down to experience and look forward to the next interview.

Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Sounds like David Brent

'You've charmed me'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

....... wrote:

I don't understand the entirely negative comments expressed about the interviewer here. He was clearly, by his mildly provocative comments and actions, attempting to assess the applicants character, temperament and personality. Job interviews are not intended to be cosy chats or love - ins. This particular episode is hardly even worthy of having it's own thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

A nicely worded letter to his superiors explaining as you have done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

You will encounter interviews and d1ckwads like this chap over your time looking for a job, treat it as an exerience more than anything else. Never be afraid at an interview to interogate a poor interviewer for all it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you don't let someone speak and talk over them. You're a bully and an idiot.

He assessed nothing. Its not normal behavior....

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Be grateful you didn't get the job, yer mans a tool by the sounds of things.

Being self employed has a lot going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Chin up OP. I once had an interview with a recruitment firm where the interviewer yawned his way through the first 10 mins of the interview. Then claimed he had to take a phone call.... and never came back. I dont recall how long I waited - it could have been 20 mins,felt like an hour, but he never even called to apologise.

Worked out for the best. I would have hated recruitment, and if he was that bad as an interviewer Id have hated to have him as a boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement