Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alcohol Withdrawl Question

• 28-08-2017 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi guys

Long story short, I've been on a binge for 14 weeks straight, 3 and a half months. Probably drink 10 cans of cider a day.

Anyways. I'm keen to get off it so attended an outpatient facility every day for 5 days last week to get Librium. As I was still drinking and did not want to mix them I stockpiled my librium ( for some reason my GP never gives me a prescription for them and just passes the buck and sends me to an outpatient place - it has cost me nearly 200 euro on taxis over the 5 visits).

So far I've accumulated 420mgs of Librium, and going by previous detoxes of 40 every 4 to 6 hours, that will cover me for 2 and a half days

Will that be enough? And if not is it possible to get Librium elsewhere as I really want to kick this once and for all.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

First off, fair play to you for taking this big step.

I don't think that boards allow people to offer medical advice.

If your not happy with your GP why not attend a different one.

As for outpatient services, I would highly recommend Stanhope Street however AFAIK they won't be able to help with the medical side of things.

Wishing you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hi guys

Long story short, I've been on a binge for 14 weeks straight, 3 and a half months. Probably drink 10 cans of cider a day.

Anyways. I'm keen to get off it so attended an outpatient facility every day for 5 days last week to get Librium. As I was still drinking and did not want to mix them I stockpiled my librium ( for some reason my GP never gives me a prescription for them and just passes the buck and sends me to an outpatient place - it has cost me nearly 200 euro on taxis over the 5 visits).

So far I've accumulated 420mgs of Librium, and going by previous detoxes of 40 every 4 to 6 hours, that will cover me for 2 and a half days

Will that be enough? And if not is it possible to get Librium elsewhere as I really want to kick this once and for all.

Thanks

I know we can't give medical advice here but that seems like a lot. I'd be very careful detoxing without being under a Gps care. In my experience gps can only prescribe Librium a few times because it's such a high street value and it's strong stuff in fairness to them after a few de toxes many gps will come to the conclusion that the patient needs more supervised care. I know the doses a rehab centre would give but i guess I can't say that here, it might be safer to go in to a rehab centre to detox because even with the Librium it can be tough going and if you feel panicky or I'll you'd have experienced people there to help you. I'm not giving advise I'm just stating what I've experienced with my loved one that in rehab you have five days of detox and you're gradually taken off Librium. I guess that's all I can say about it on here but I'd suggest even phoning your gp to find out what dose would be best for you but I wouldn't advise doing it on your own it's safer under supervision and peace of mind for you while you're going through it. I hope that helps and fair play to you for wanting to make this change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hi Mark, fair play to you taking this step. If you've only been drinking like that for 3 months it may not be as hard as you think though.

Is there anywhere you can get into if you're extremely worried about it? Might be better off supervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mark Viduka

Thanks for the reply guys

I could go to A and E but I've been there many times over the years and have horrific memories of it - your withdrawals and anxiety are only compounded by the horrific things and people you see

Maybe I should call my GP even though we don't get on and ask her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I don't understand why you think you don't have enough? The outpatient place were giving you what they think is enough weren't they?

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    I don't understand why you think you don't have enough? The outpatient place were giving you what they think is enough weren't they?

Yes but I was still drinking whilst attending the outpatient detox for 4 or 5 days so I didn't look as anxious/agitated as I would have with no alcohol so they clearly thought I didn't need a higher dosage

Yes but I was still drinking whilst attending the outpatient detox for 4 or 5 days so I didn't look as anxious/agitated as I would have with no alcohol so they clearly thought I didn't need a higher dosage

It'sony my opinion but I do think residential could work for you. Its nothing like A&E it's a caring experienced place and very calm even in the de tox section which you'd be in for the first five days. It would be a little scary if course that's normal to feel apprehensive but the support you'd get and the nurse on hand will help you through it. Just worth considering or maybe just keep it in mind down the road.

It'sony my opinion but I do think residential could work for you. Its nothing like A&E it's a caring experienced place and very calm even in the de tox section which you'd be in for the first five days. It would be a little scary if course that's normal to feel apprehensive but the support you'd get and the nurse on hand will help you through it. Just worth considering or maybe just keep it in mind down the road.

I had 2 stints in John of Gods, both 28 days each, in 2010 and 2011 so I know all about inpatient residential treatment.

Outpatient worked for me last time, the withdrawal last time wasnt great but i got through it at home, but was only a 1 month binge where as this has been 3 and a half months so I really don't know what to do

I don't understand why my GP can't prescribe me something for the detox

I had 2 stints in John of Gods, both 28 days each, in 2010 and 2011 so I know all about inpatient residential treatment.

Outpatient worked for me last time, the withdrawal last time wasnt great but i got through it at home, but was only a 1 month binge where as this has been 3 and a half months so I really don't know what to do

They do say in all the articles I've read that realistically short programmes rarely work esp for those who are struggling. 3 months or more might work for you better. I can see first hand why because my loved one by week 10 was highly anxious and definitely not ready to come home but by week 11 he was so by week 12 he was really ready I think it might be the way they work the programme and it can take that long for your body and brain to adjust. I'd highly recommend a longer stint three months minimum. I know everyone's different but the 28 days hasn't worked for you but you've no doubt learnt a little something each time. Relapses aren't always a bad thing they can be a learning curve. We learn from our mistakes. Think about it, it's up to you but as I say you won't know till you try and there's definitely nothing to loose and e etythjng to gain

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

Your GP clearly knows your history and is quite correct in not just throwing pills at you, as it is clear you want these for an alternative to alcohol. If you don't get on with your GP, why not change, or is 'not get on' an euphemism for 'he wont give me what I think I need'.
    As soon as the dust settles and you start feeling better about yourself, you'll be off to the races again. That is of course unless you want to really stop.
    You should return to a GP and follow their advice....... and start being honest with yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement