Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society - Killarney 16th Sep 12.00 (Captains Prize)

• 30-08-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

It's hard to believe that there's just two and a half weeks to our final regular season event of the year. :eek:

This year's Captain's Prize takes place in the world tourism capital of the world (according to the Healy Rae's :D), Killarney. The venue is the famous Killeen Course, four-time host of the Irish Open which was won by amongst others Nick Faldo. Here is what the golf club website says about the course: "Killeen golf course is what we like to think of as our piece de resistance here at Killarney Golf Club, and there is very good reason for such a grand statement. The backdrop to Killeen is something very special indeed and provides golfers with a spectacle that cannot be seen anywhere else in the world. The wonderful lake and mountain views make for a spectacular backdrop to one of the world’s most renowned golf courses".

The par 72 course measures 6,083m off the white tees and the scorecard can be found here: http://killarneygolfclub.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2011-ScoreCard-Killeen-31.jpg. The course guide is at http://www.killarneygolfclub.ie/how-to-play/

This is the last chance to accumulate points towards the Ryder Jug team and Golfer of the Year and with the standings so close every point could be crucial so I would suggest you make every effort to make it if you can. It's also the last chance to impress in the quest for Captain's Picks! ;)

The first tee-time is at 12.00 so let me know your availability via teamer and post any requests for early/late tee-times here. Hopefully as many of you as possible will be able to stay over for a night on the town in the Kingdom also. Some have already confirmed whether they require a bed in Killarney for the night, if anyone else requires one please let us know. Some have already given me deposits. I will transfer those to SeveOB.

Also some people are planning on playing golf on the Friday (some in Ballykisteen, others elsewhere) so feel free to post plans or ideas. Looking forward to a great day and night in Killarney. For those travelling, be aware that Adare can be a bit of a bottleneck at weekends so give yourself plenty time . I know some people tend to go via Mallow to avoid Adare traffic so maybe look into that also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Cheers captain. Late tee would suit me best. I think last year the players at the sharp end in the running for GOTY go out in competition format, eg highest points tee off in last group.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

That would be the plan for this year too, subject to any special requirements from people. Plus I'll be going out late despite my position in the table! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I think I might make it to this one.

Here are some flybys of the course

https://vimeo.com/channels/1145688

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I'm in - really looking forward to both the golf and the afters!

Who's played the course before and how do you rate it, anything to look out for etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Who's played the course before and how do you rate it, anything to look out for etc?

Twice, well actually I'm not sure which course I played! First time I was about 12, caddied for my old man and played a half dozen holes. Can't remember anything except I landed on a long par 3 green which impressed my da and playing partners.

Other time was a bit more recent, only 19 years ago. And guess what.... can't remember which course I played that time either :rolleyes: Stayed in the Europe that time :D

• Advertisement

I think I have to win this one :D

Can't wait.

Need to take some time off work to practice :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Stay left off the tee for the 1st 7 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have only played 3 events, so well out of the running for the top 10. Just have to settle for winning the Captains instead!!!

Haven't played for 3 weeks now, so need to get back swinging quickly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I need another good weekend in Killarney to make the top 10, shocking start to the year has hurt my scores.

Not an easy course to be chasing a score though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

Enjoy the day (and night) everybody. :)
    Unfortunately I will miss it but I will be keeping a close eye on the results and hoping that my 600 points keeps me in the top 10 of the GotY rankings. I suspect it will be a close call

As a consolation I will be playing this course in the sun that day :D

426765.jpg

• Advertisement

I give up. It looks pretty spectacular wherever it is

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

Seve OB wrote: »
    I give up. It looks pretty spectacular wherever it is

Golf del Sur in Tenerife. Never been there before so hopefully the golf is as good as the pictures suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Would love to join ye but as i havent been to any society outings so far this year i declined this one too as it wouldnt have been right.

If ye have spaces available and looking to fill, give me a shout

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lovely course, no surprises, you'll have a very good idea off the tee

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Alanm

I'm in, have to be at home early Sunday so can't stay over unfortunately. Don't fancy driving down and back same day so will be on the train. Last train back is 7.30, so should get a few pints in at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Alanm wrote: »
    I'm in, have to be at home early Sunday so can't stay over unfortunately. Don't fancy driving down and back same day so will be on the train. Last train back is 7.30, so should get a few pints in at least!

Oh, didn't contemplate that option. I might be in if I can get the train there and be back in the day. Will think about it. Out at 7am Alan?

jarrieta wrote: »
    Oh, didn't contemplate that option. I might be in if I can get the train there and be back in the day. Will think about it. Out at 7am Alan?

Have checked the timetable and we have 15 mins to change train, so if it is delayed we would not make it in time (next train arrives to Killarney at 12:16 if not delayed)

I think that is too tight, more so for irish rail. Any opinions?

Have checked the timetable and we have 15 mins to change train, so if it is delayed we would not make it in time (next train arrives to Killarney at 12:16 if not delayed)

I think that is too tight, more so for irish rail. Any opinions?

It's a bit of a risk alright but I'm pretty sure the connecting train will wait as long as there isn't a really big delay - I could be wrong!

Only chance I have of playing so I'm taking the risk!

If it was practical, you could go down & stay in a B&B the night before, then you only have to worry about the train back up the following evening?

If it was practical, you could go down & stay in a B&B the night before, then you only have to worry about the train back up the following evening?

Thanks for the advice, checked the timetables and the overlay is 5 minutes in the evening, even riskier unless I got the B&B in Mallow :D That is another option

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, checked the timetables and the overlay is 5 minutes in the evening, even riskier unless I got the B&B in Mallow :D That is another option

well there is an Open on in Mallow GC on the 15th ;)

Still thinking I will bite the bullet and get the train ticket, are you departing at 7AM I presume Alanm?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭a post punk

well there is an Open on in Mallow GC on the 15th ;)
    If ye stay over in mallow the night before lads , The Gallery is a great place for a pint and food aswell .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Looking like its and up and down round trip for me lads :eek::(:(
    3h 6mins drive from here.

Gonna be a long day.

Lads
    we have rooms for 10 booked, space still available

Myself
    Ballyk
    Roadrunner
    Big Chap
    A Post Punk

Lads
    we have rooms for 10 booked, space still available

Myself
    Ballyk
    Roadrunner
    Big Chap
    A Post Punk

I'm down for the night too Seve. PM me bank details if you want me to get the cash to you before we're down there

Still thinking I will bite the bullet and get the train ticket, are you departing at 7AM I presume Alanm?

Yep leave on 7am train, 7.30pm train home

I'm down for the night too Seve. PM me bank details if you want me to get the cash to you before we're down there

nice one, that a round 6, 3 rooms

i will cancel the other 3 rooms early next week if there are no further takers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

nice one, that a round 6, 3 rooms

i will cancel the other 3 rooms early next week if there are no further takers

Other 2 rooms, no?

• Advertisement

Other 2 rooms, no?

Ooops

Advertisement