Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cocktails Keeping

• 29-08-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was planning to make a batch of espresso martinis to bring down to Electric Picnic. Question is - will they keep?

Ingredients planning to use are: espresso, kaluha, vodka, simple syrup(homemade)

Put in the fridge and then a cold bag for after. Keep shaking when going to use them (most likely to give me a kick in the morning)

Anyone forsee any issues? I didnt think so but a few people have given me strange looks implying they would 'go off'??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't see any big issues there.

During my student days, a pub would mix up batches of black and white russians, and keep them in 2l plastic drink bottles, dispensing as needed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'll keep for a few weeks even at room temperature; realistically. Sterilize the bottles first to make certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kg703 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Was planning to make a batch of espresso martinis to bring down to Electric Picnic. Question is - will they keep?

Ingredients planning to use are: espresso, kaluha, vodka, simple syrup(homemade)

Put in the fridge and then a cold bag for after. Keep shaking when going to use them (most likely to give me a kick in the morning)

Anyone forsee any issues? I didnt think so but a few people have given me strange looks implying they would 'go off'??
    are you sure the looks were implying it would go off? I would give anybody strange looks who told me they were doing that for electric picnic, not for concerns it would go off, just since it seems an odd idea.

Brewed coffee does go mouldy at an alarmingly fast rate. If there is enough, repeat enough, alcohol in the mix then it should not support mould growth. (you gave no recipes/ratios)

I am not sure if you can buy or get your hands on ice at EP, if so I would keep a very concentrated mixuture at hand and use ice to both chill & dilute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Boiling water in a glass bottle to sterilise for at least 10 minutes before letting it cool and then add your spirits. I batch up plenty of cocktails this way. I wouldn't be keen on plastic bottles though if you're not allowed glass in. Worth having a look at Kleen Canteens in that case.

The espresso will definitely fade in flavour over 2-3 days, especially in heat. No issues other than that though.

I saw some seriously discounted plastic beer coolers in Homebase recently, which would be well worth bringing along if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

rubadub wrote: »
    are you sure the looks were implying it would go off? I would give anybody strange looks who told me they were doing that for electric picnic, not for concerns it would go off, just since it seems an odd idea.

Nothing like an espresso martini to wake you up and get going in the morning!
    I'm too puny to carry bags on cans in - try to keep it to a few cans and then some spirits.

Anyway for anyone interested - they kept, they kept well and went down an absolute treat. Everyone commenting on how nice they were and asking for seconds.

Will totally do it again next year!

Advertisement