Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hop on and off with one touch on in short time for the LUAS, is it possible?

Options
  • 20-08-2017 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I have a question, lets say I touch on my Leap card for one direction and get off in about 3 stops and stay for 10 to 15 minutes for the next Tram to pass by. Can I just board that tram and will the inspectors know that I took the second one but touched one just once?

Let's say that I touch on and the LUAS coming is full so I have to wait for the next one. Is it ok if I do not touch on a second time?
    Tagged:

Comments

ulfilas wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a question, lets say I touch on my Leap card for one direction and get off in about 3 stops and stay for 10 to 15 minutes for the next Tram to pass by. Can I just board that tram and will the inspectors know that I took the second one but touched one just once?

Let's say that I touch on and the LUAS coming is full so I have to wait for the next one. Is it ok if I do not touch on a second time?

In your first scenario, you are "touched on" if you board the second tram, but when you touch off you may be charged more if the journey time has gone over a certain threshold. The inspector will just see that you are "touched on".

In the second scenario, its the same. You are touched on. You can't touch on a second time, that touches you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've often done this, getting the luas from heuston to connolly with a 10-15 minute stop at jervis along the way. I don't touch on/off at jervis. Never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ulfilas

So the inspector does not know the time you touched on? Is this secure? Or will I end up in jail?

So the inspector does not know the time you touched on? Is this secure? Or will I end up in jail?

You wont end up in jail whatever happens.

Yes the inspector can see what time you tapped on, but it doesnt matter so long as you are tapped on. When you get to your destination and tap off, the machine calculates if you should be charged more(or less) for your journey time and takes it from your card.

All the inspector cares about is that you present a valid ticket, which is a "tapped on" leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ulfilas

ok so after work I can do a short stop to buy a 6pack from the supermarket (it is right next to a LUAS station) and get back to the next tram in about 15 minutes? And if I get inspected will that be my last 6pack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The system doesn't allow you to tag off for short intervals as you have to wait before you can tag back on again. I often forget to tag off, I remember when going back 10 mins later and I have to tag off then wait to tag back on for my return journey. So might miss a LUAS as a result.

I assume its to stop people hopping off the LUAS and tagging off then jumping back on. Not sure why they would do that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought (and maybe it's changed) that the tagging on is valid for 90 mins in one direction - so as long as those conditions are fulfilled you can hop on and off as much as you like?

You can't go back the other direction, and if you go outside the 90 mins before tagging off, you'll be charged the full whack.

Open to correction on that, I've looked at the luas website but can't those exact details, most of the info seems to be about the Leap card daily cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No - you are not entitled to hop on and off.

There is no break of journey permitted.

Each journey is an individual trip and should be paid for separately.

Now unless a checker actually witnesses you getting on/off how they'd prove it is another question.

ok so after work I can do a short stop to buy a 6pack from the supermarket (it is right next to a LUAS station) and get back to the next tram in about 15 minutes? And if I get inspected will that be my last 6pack?

You tag on at say, Brides Glen. The machine charges you for the price of an average ticket, which is 2.13 I think. You stop at Leopardstown Valley, buy a six pack, get on the next Luas and tag off at Stephens Green. The machine looks at the time stamp of when you tagged on, does a quick calculation and decides the journey should have cost you 2.50 and takes 37 cent off your leap card as you tag off. Or, if you get on at Brides Glen and get off at Cherrywood, the machine decides the 2.13 it charged was too much and gives you back 13 cent, the minimum price being 2 euro(i think).

All the inspector cares is that your leap card has been tagged on for that line in the direction you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

You tag on at say, Brides Glen. The machine charges you for the price of an average ticket, which is 2.13 I think. You stop at Leopardstown Valley, buy a six pack, get on the next Luas and tag off at Stephens Green. The machine looks at the time stamp of when you tagged on, does a quick calculation and decides the journey should have cost you 2.50 and takes 37 cent off your leap card as you tag off. Or, if you get on at Brides Glen and get off at Cherrywood, the machine decides the 2.13 it charged was too much and gives you back 13 cent, the minimum price being 2 euro(i think).

Not quite - when you tag on, the machine takes the fare for the maximum possible journey you can make from that stop, and when you tag off, you're refunded the difference. So if you get on at Brides Glen, you'll be charged for 5 zones, but when you get off three stops later, it refunds you the fare for the 3 zones you didn't travel. If you forget to tag off, it will time out after 90min and you'll lose the full fare for 5 zones.

If you get on at Balally, for example, it will only charge you for 3 zones when you tag on, as that's the max distance you can travel from there (in either direction). You'll still get the partial refund if you get off sooner, but it doesn't take the 5 zones fare there because you can't travel 5 zones from there.

To answer the OP's question, you are meant to tag on and off for every journey, but a tag-on lasts for 90min, so I don't think they'd be able to tell that you got off for 5min in the middle.

• Advertisement

Not quite - when you tag on, the machine takes the fare for the maximum possible journey you can make from that stop, and when you tag off, you're refunded the difference. So if you get on at Brides Glen, you'll be charged for 5 zones, but when you get off three stops later, it refunds you the fare for the 3 zones you didn't travel. If you forget to tag off, it will time out after 90min and you'll lose the full fare for 5 zones.

If you get on at Balally, for example, it will only charge you for 3 zones when you tag on, as that's the max distance you can travel from there (in either direction). You'll still get the partial refund if you get off sooner, but it doesn't take the 5 zones fare there because you can't travel 5 zones from there.

To answer the OP's question, you are meant to tag on and off for every journey, but a tag-on lasts for 90min, so I don't think they'd be able to tell that you got off for 5min in the middle.

I was close ;)

But thanks for the clarification.

Advertisement