Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend me an estate agent

Options
  • 06-08-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Who have you used in selling your house and what are your experiences of them? Who are the charlatans and who would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Who have you used in selling your house and what are your experiences of them? Who are the charlatans and who would you recommend?

In the middle of the process at the moment. Out of all the agents who came to talk to us the most professional I felt were O shea O Toole and Hutchison. The worst was Plamer, really unorganized and couldn't answer questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

That's akin to saying "recommend me an STD"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I had dealings with purcells Conor was very good and Thomas reid was also very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

In the middle of the process at the moment. Out of all the agents who came to talk to us the most professional I felt were O shea O Toole and Hutchison. The worst was Plamer, really unorganized and couldn't answer questions.

Could you tell me are they charging a flat fee or percentage of sale price?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are female don't bother with Thomas Reid. Agree with kayaksurfbum's suggestions.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    If you are female don't bother with Thomas Reid.

I'm not but if I can gather what you're suggesting then it's enough to not go with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Could you tell me are they charging a flat fee or percentage of sale price?

Percentage. Everyone seems to go with 1.5% of sale price. But you can haggle a bit if you go with only one agent.

Percentage. Everyone seems to go with 1.5% of sale price. But you can haggle a bit if you go with only one agent.

The same as it was ten years ago. Might call o shea o toole up to the house then and see what they think re valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

I thought Mike in Guirys was a decent lad to deal with when we were selling.

I'm not but if I can gather what you're suggesting then it's enough to not go with him.

All I am suggesting is that he can be rather superior and less than helpful, I get the impression it is as a result of some sort of prejudice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

David Cusack at Brophy Cusack, as a buyer so far I would certainly use them if I were selling

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

I found William Quinlan on Mayors walk good, sold house fairly quickly. Wouldn't recommend Michael Guiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I'm surprised people are recommending Hutchinsons, I went for a viewing with Joan Hutchinson last year and I found her one of the rudest people I have ever met. rolling her eyes at me when I took a few pictures, even telling me "Look. I have other people to meet, are you interested or not!". A few people had warned me about her but to see it in reality was something else. I declined and went with someone else.

I'm surprised people are recommending Hutchinsons, I went for a viewing with Joan Hutchinson last year and I found her one of the rudest people I have ever met. rolling her eyes at me when I took a few pictures, even telling me "Look. I have other people to meet, are you interested or not!". A few people had warned me about her but to see it in reality was something else. I declined and went with someone else.

This is what I'm looking out for, nothing as uncomfortable as viewing a property when the agent has a chip on the shoulder. It's not 2006 no matter what's on the news property wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Wow i had a really bad time of it with her too, I was travelling from Kilkenny everyday to see her and we had to get a house like, she just didn't seem like she was happy in her job at all and hated people.

Re estate agents choice by the way i would recommend Barry Murphy, I viewed several houses when going with a friend for some support and to ask questions etc and Barry Murphy was really nice and wasn't pushy or smart or treat us like we didnt know what we were doing. Quinlan I found to be a bit smug and would say anything to push the sale through which meant i couldnt really trust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wow i had a really bad time of it with her too, I was travelling from Kilkenny everyday to see her and we had to get a house like, she just didn't seem like she was happy in her job at all and hated people.

Re estate agents choice by the way i would recommend Barry Murphy, I viewed several houses when going with a friend for some support and to ask questions etc and Barry Murphy was really nice and wasn't pushy or smart or treat us like we didnt know what we were doing. Quinlan I found to be a bit smug and would say anything to push the sale through which meant i couldnt really trust him.

Yes she came across like that to me as well, and she was handed the job by Mammy and Daddy so she wouldn't get away with that attitude anywhere else. If she hates it that much she should p!ss off and do something else. Nepotism is bad enough but getting someone like her makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I've used 4, in Waterford.

Avoid Manor Properties like the plague.

John Rohan, the same. Nice guy but I can't recommend him. They wasted a half a day on me by not telling me the full truth when I asked them some questions on a property I was going to see.

I like Brophy Cusack. They're good. Very little bull****. They seem to have very high asking prices though.

I also liked Barry Murphy. Knowledgeable and not pushy. Would recommend him, definitely.

They wasted a half a day on me by not telling me the full truth when I asked them some questions on a property I was going to see.

This. Why tell you lies and half truths about a property? All that happens is you are annoyed when you figure out the truth and they waste time showing a property that isn't suitable. I can understand that one person's 'compact' is another's 'not room to swing a cat' but being dishonest about simple facts, measurements, etc is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

+1 for Barry Murphy. We were on the buying end, but if I was selling I'd choose him. Was the only one to contact us to say he had a new house if we were still looking. Not pushy, but a bit more proactive. Nice manner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

No personal experience of Barry Murphy but I hear the same thing all the time from people about him; not pushy and actually listens to you rather than tells you what he thinks you want to hear.

I had a poor experience with Palmers recently. (me a potential buyer)
    Bad enough for me to avoid them like the plague from here on in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

kuang1 wrote: »
    No personal experience of Barry Murphy but I hear the same thing all the time from people about him; not pushy and actually listens to you rather than tells you what he thinks you want to hear.

I had a poor experience with Palmers recently. (me a potential buyer)
    Bad enough for me to avoid them like the plague from here on in.

Unfortunately when you're buying a house you dont get to pick and choose which estate agent you deal with.

shockwave wrote: »
    Unfortunately when you're buying a house you dont get to pick and choose which estate agent you deal with.

This is true, and very exasperating. However it does help decisions on who will be doing the selling of the current house.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

shockwave wrote: »

All the more reason that when selling your home you 'choose wisely grasshopper '. Currently looking at properties but if it's certain auctioneers I won't even consider viewing.

That's a bit 'biting off your nose to spite your face'? If I liked the look of a house I would view it regardless of the auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I think what's being said is that our experiences when buying a house would influence who we choose to sell a house for us.
    Understandable!

Had Barry Murphy around today. Lovely chap, no bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

looksee wrote: »
    That's a bit 'biting off your nose to spite your face'? If I liked the look of a house I would view it regardless of the auctioneer.

It's one of the biggest spends of your life. I'm not about to bring a muppet into the transaction.But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Yes she came across like that to me as well, and she was handed the job by Mammy and Daddy so she wouldn't get away with that attitude anywhere else. If she hates it that much she should p!ss off and do something else. Nepotism is bad enough but getting someone like her makes it even worse.

I was actually looking to rent a particular property in Butlerstown that i knew had been empty for a very long time and when i had asked her would the owners be willing to take an offer on the rent as i noticed it had been empty a long time she hit the roof, I later learned who the owner was and the house didn't lease for a long time, if that was me and i knew this was the attitude of people supposedly looking after my business interests i would be so angry, at the end of the day i was looking for like 50 euro a month reduction or even to ask the owner but the reaction i got, my god. KEEP AWAY

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Why not M Guiry? Found the staff there v helpfull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Harvest festival organisers...brilliant food festival.

Advertisement