Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday World.

Options
  • 08-08-2017 10:25am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Rag of a paper that I don't read anymore but when my parents used to get it in the 80's some of the features and stories used to be a source of fun. Those exposes of brothels where the reporter "made his excuses and left". Toni The Exotic Dancer. The showbiz ads section featuring terrible past it- cabaret acts, washed up showbands like The Indians and regional comedians like Tom And Pascall. Pub Spy who used to do reviews of pubs and going on about barmen serving slops and filthy jacks. Shock horror feature on Video Nasties with a graphic picture of the cover for Driller Killer "The blood runs in rivers, and the drill keeps tearing through flesh and bone".

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

And remember that running cartoon they had poking fun at the Fianna Gael/ Labour coalition of the mid 80's called GarBarDick? It had Garret Fitzgerald, Barry Noonan and Dick Spring depicted as a scaly three headed dinosaur type monster. Weirdly they depicted it as having womens boobs (well the Sunday World was always obsessed with boobs)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

They used to have a section for kids as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

branie2 wrote: »
    They used to have a section for kids as well

Yes, with a weekly colouring competition. I won something in that one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Pub spy always a great read. The old commando and the young commando and others visiting towns around the country

I've been in a few pubs that proudly put their pub spy review on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I miss expose articles on heavy metal bands being evil... Fr Brian D'Arcy wasn't a slayer, deicide or carcass fan.

• Advertisement

What was the name of the guy who had a column where he'd be giving out about women drivers and feminism etc? Have a feeling it might have been slightly tongue in cheek or maybe not, always used to spark angry responses in the letters section. He had a big red face and looked like he was fond of a few jars.

I miss expose articles on heavy metal bands being evil... Fr Brian D'Arcy wasn't a slayer, deicide or carcass fan.

Ha, I remember they actually did a cover story on Carcass titled something like "Ban this sick band" and showing the gruesome cover for their album Symphonies Of Sickness. Of course I had to buy it after that.

Another metal shock horror feature they did was about a video by the band WASP where the singer is throttling a priest in confession which in the video is actually done for comic effect but the Sunday World had these still images that tried to make it look more sinister and tried to put some kind of satanic slant on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ha, I remember they actually did a cover story on Carcass titled something like "Ban this sick band" and showing the gruesome cover for their album Symphonies Of Sickness. Of course I had to buy it after that.

Another metal shock horror feature they did was about a video by the band WASP where the singer is throttling a priest in confession which in the video is actually done for comic effect but the Sunday World had these still images that tried to make it look more sinister and tried to put some kind of satanic slant on it.

I remember that... Why Couldn't he just enjoy carcasses sense of humour!..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

darkdubh wrote: »
    What was the name of the guy who had a column where he'd be giving out about women drivers and feminism etc? Have a feeling it might have been slightly tongue in cheek or maybe not, always used to spark angry responses in the letters section. He had a big red face and looked like he was fond of a few jars.

Murray?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I remember when I was "getting it every Sunday",but not anymore.

• Advertisement

For some unknown reason, I used to call the kids' section the Popeye pages, even though there was no Popeye strip in it.

kupus wrote: »
    Murray?

I have a feeling it was a different fella but could be him.

For some unknown reason, I used to call the kids' section the Popeye pages, even though there was no Popeye strip in it.

Are you sure, I seem to vaguely remember Popeye being in it at some stage?
    They did have The Phantom "The Ghost Who Walks". Also that bald lad Henry. They also used to do these syndicated strips of childrens movies that had been out recently in the cinema. The Black Cauldron was one and another one I remember was Return To Oz.

They also did a strip based on Condor Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Was it an auld fella from Kerry?

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Was it an auld fella from Kerry?

Con Houlihan? It wasn't him. The guy I'm talking about had some kind of distinctive facial hair, either very long mutton chop sideburns or one of those beards with no moustache like Abraham Lincoln had. I seem to remember he was pretty right wing, kind of came across a bit like Gary Bushnell in the Sun, similar kind of style.

I got an edition many years ago, as there was an article on Nostradamus

I got an edition many years ago, as there was an article on Nostradamus

Think I remember that. Was that around the time of the run up to the first Gulf War (1991) with Nostro's "predictions" about Saddam Hussein?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

Would it have been Kevin Marron?

• Advertisement

Think I remember that. Was that around the time of the run up to the first Gulf War (1991) with Nostro's "predictions" about Saddam Hussein?

Later than that, I think

Wowbagger wrote: »
    Would it have been Kevin Marron?

It wasn't him. He was killed in the 84 plane crash right?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Pretty sure that Pub Spy is still running

WHL wrote: »
    Pretty sure that Pub Spy is still running

Really? I'm surprised at that, then again I don't look at it these days.

Really? I'm surprised at that, then again I don't look at it these days.

It's still there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭cml387

Shay Healy I think had a parody song based on Dr. Hook's song "Cover of the Rolling Stone".

One line went

"And I'll ask Brian D'Arcy if he'll get my arsey on the cover of the Sunday World".

Toni The Exotic dancer used to be a constant feature in their pages in the late 80's. A housewife from Tallaght shaking her jugs was about as exotic as it got in Ireland then.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/1129/835226-toni-exotic-dancer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

Toni The Exotic dancer used to be a constant feature in their pages in the late 80's. A housewife from Tallaght shaking her jugs was about as exotic as it got in Ireland then.

The Lower Deck in Portobello used to host Toni on Sunday mornings. Me and my mates were just out of school and never did go in, as we thought we'd get knifed in there

One of their "stories" that I remember from about mid 80's was about a black South African guy called "Miley" (apparently his real first name) who was doing some sort of cabaret act in a Dublin pub and all the women in the audience stormed the stage and ripped his clothes off him. There was a picture of him on the stage in the buff with the token black bar censoring his tackle. I think even at time aged 12 or 13 I copped that it was probably some kind of publicity stunt. They had a follow up story the next week with Miley and his Irish girlfriend who was saying something like Miley is my man and other women better stay away from him.

• Advertisement

And remember that running cartoon they had poking fun at the Fianna Gael/ Labour coalition of the mid 80's called GarBarDick? It had Garret Fitzgerald, Barry Noonan and Dick Spring depicted as a scaly three headed dinosaur type monster. Weirdly they depicted it as having womens boobs (well the Sunday World was always obsessed with boobs)

BTW anyone else remember this, I've tried to find images online to no avail.I'm trying to remember who the cartoonist was. Pretty sure it wasn't Tom Matthews.

Advertisement