Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help! Airbags deployed

Options
  • 18-08-2017 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

How ye,

So the airbags deployed on my Seat Ibiza 2010 (Type 6J)!

I may have tipped into my house, slightly......mostly. So I was sourcing parts online to save money and I'm confused, do I need to replace the entire dashboard or just the airbags and the seat-belts?

The difference in price is 300 stg, so I wouldn't mind asking first!

Impact was minimal, as I hit the corner of my house, but it managed to set off the airbags. Power steering is gone too. Bumper is grand w/h a crease in the middle by the light on the drivers side.

For reference on damage: I put the car in first and not in reverse. I gave it a bit of welly to get out of the hill on my driveway and went forward instead of backward.... :rolleyes:

Thanks!
    Connor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

If the passenger airbag deployed from the dashboard, then yes, a dashboard replacement will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bosca

shietpilot wrote: »
    If the passenger airbag deployed from the dashboard, then yes, a dashboard replacement will be required.

Ah balls, I was afraid of that....

No chance of just replacing the passenger bag at all? It can mean the difference of keeping the car or not if I'm honest so I'm rather desperate!

Thanks!

Bosca wrote: »
    Ah balls, I was afraid of that....

No chance of just replacing the passenger bag at all? It can mean the difference of keeping the car or not if I'm honest so I'm rather desperate!

Thanks!

There's no way you can fix a hole in the dash so it must be replaced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bosca

OSI wrote: »
    If the bags went off you'll likely need to replace the seat belt tensioners and the airbag controller. From reading up on this in the past, the power steering will remain inactive until the airbag controller is replaced or somehow reset.

Tbh, this really isn't something you wanna screw around with as a DIY job if you don't know what you are doing. Airbags are a controlled explosive. Plenty of stories of people ending up with broken bones or worse paralysed or blind.

Thanks for the reply!

Ah yeah I have no plans on repairing this, I just wasn't sure what form to put it in. I just want to source the parts myself to save money, then give it to the mechanic to replace.

I called the NCT office and they said that regarding the hole in the dash, if it's not firing off any errors it'll pass. I have to call in to a centre and confirm though!

Yeah I seen a great deal for the sensor, the seat belts and the airbags but that'd be useless without the dash. But I thought it was odd that people would be selling the passenger airbags if the entire dash needed to be replaced, so I thought I'd ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Ah yeah I have no plans on repairing this, I just wasn't sure what form to put it in. I just want to source the parts myself to save money, then give it to the mechanic to replace.

Don't think a mechanic will touch it if you're supplying the parts, how can they stand over them if something goes wrong? Plus they make a few quid on sourcing the parts so you're cutting into their profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

shietpilot wrote: »
    There's no way you can fix a hole in the dash so it must be replaced :)

In fairness, an awful lot of cars have the passenger airbag in a removable module so you don't have to do an entire dash swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Thanks for the reply!

I called the NCT office and they said that regarding the hole in the dash, if it's not firing off any errors it'll pass. I have to call in to a centre and confirm though!

So you've no pax air bag plus a hole in the dash and the NCT crowd have said it'll pass if there is no emc errors!

I always guessed this crowd were cowboys but if you're telling the truth my hunch is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

that's not what he said

(any photo of the hole? out of curiosity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

head up to airbagsireland.ie they have kits for every car on the market based in louth

In fairness, an awful lot of cars have the passenger airbag in a removable module so you don't have to do an entire dash swap.

That's true, but OP's car doesn't.

New-2012-SEAT-Ibiza-5dr-FR-2-0-TDI-143PS-road-test-review-by-Oliver-Hammond-photo-dashboard-front-stack-1024x680.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How ye,

So the airbags deployed on my Seat Ibiza 2010 (Type 6J)!

I may have tipped into my house, slightly......mostly. So I was sourcing parts online to save money and I'm confused, do I need to replace the entire dashboard or just the airbags and the seat-belts?

The difference in price is 300 stg, so I wouldn't mind asking first!

Impact was minimal, as I hit the corner of my house, but it managed to set off the airbags. Power steering is gone too. Bumper is grand w/h a crease in the middle by the light on the drivers side.

For reference on damage: I put the car in first and not in reverse. I gave it a bit of welly to get out of the hill on my driveway and went forward instead of backward.... :rolleyes:

Thanks!
    Connor

I'd be getting the soft plastic bumper removed to see what damage has been done to the crumble zone behind it, especially since you hit with enough force to deploy the airbags. Might be more damage then you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Is the seat belt buckle lower than normal??

If it is you need to factor in some seatbelt pre-tensioners too....

Advertisement