Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re-chroming bumpers Ireland

• 14-08-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi guys,

I have a 1991 Nissan Figaro that I didn't bring out last year and the bumpers have deteriorated hugely (yes because I didn't store it properly and I'm clearly an idiot.)

I would like to get these re-chromed in Ireland. I have been searching around but so far no luck. Ideally I would prefer not to have to send them to the UK, mostly because I want to keep my business in this country!

Does anyone know of anyone in Ireland that does this? Even Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

lilyzadi wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a 1991 Nissan Figaro that I didn't bring out last year and the bumpers have deteriorated hugely (yes because I didn't store it properly and I'm clearly an idiot.)

I would like to get these re-chromed in Ireland. I have been searching around but so far no luck. Ideally I would prefer not to have to send them to the UK, mostly because I want to keep my business in this country!

Does anyone know of anyone in Ireland that does this? Even Northern Ireland?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try the fellas in this old thread, if they are still about
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054884100

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lilyzadi

Thank you.
    I tried to call them, they are on holidays until the 22nd August.
    I'll try again after that.

:P

Thanks for this helpful reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Thank you.
    I tried to call them, they are on holidays until the 22nd August.
    I'll try again after that.

I'd think long and hard before using them, have a read through the thread that Biko linked to... I used them once , the first and only time.. Had to pay upfront, didn't have the €300 they asked for so had to go find an ATM, the only decent finish was on a part I had polished myself.
    I know a number of lads who have either brought or sent their chroming to the UK, it seems the only solution unfortunately ..

• Advertisement

Thanks for this helpful reply!

A simple search would have helped you..this has been brought up numerous times..you WILL have to send it "out of the country"...;)

A simple search would have helped you..this has been brought up numerous times..you WILL have to send it "out of the country"...;)

A simple search yes of old threads.. Please forgive me for asking a question on a website dedicated to asking questions and discussion in the hope of finding someone with new information.

Also, let me rephrase my 'out of the country' that you took the time out of your life to mock and change it to 'on this island'. I hope that's good enough for you. Most importantly I hope you got the satisfaction you were craving while writing that smarmy reply that helped nobody only yourself.

I will keep searching & if I come across someone doing it on this island, I will re-post here with the update!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I don't think there is anyone left in Ireland doing hard rechroming you might find some that do plating like for bar stools and the like but it won't stand up well outdoors, I believe the reason it's not done in Ireland was because there was no way to dispose of the waste products here.

A simple search yes of old threads.. Please forgive me for asking a question on a website dedicated to asking questions and discussion in the hope of finding someone with new information.

Also, let me rephrase my 'out of the country' that you took the time out of your life to mock and change it to 'on this island'. I hope that's good enough for you. Most importantly I hope you got the satisfaction you were craving while writing that smarmy reply that helped nobody only yourself.

I will keep searching & if I come across someone doing it on this island, I will re-post here with the update!

Why so angry......:rolleyes:

A simple search would have given you all the info you needed to find your answer, too many newbies just jump in with old questions, which i for one find tiresome....If someone (a regular poster) on here had come across a plater in ireland we'd all know about it and be partying like it was 1999.....an even simpler Google search would have helped you....as theres a place up north that does it...but thats not "in this country" is it..;)

TJ Plating....check theyre still there, used them last year...youre welcome..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

they are available on e bay brand new

• Advertisement

they are available on e bay brand new

How did you find that out....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Hi, how you doing

Simple answer really, get it done properly overseas at a proper re-chromers for a proper price or get it done here differently, or even for a car that new call the dealer.

Good luck

How did you find that out....;)

Sorry I didn't find your TJ Plating suggestion when I did a search before, I also didn't find it when I did a search this minute. :confused::rolleyes:

Also, sorry for being new & not having 10,000 posts before I asked a question here. :rolleyes:

I know they are available new, I want to price re-chroming them as opposed to forking out £1000. :o

Contrary to popular belief, I can use Google & didn't post the question without ringing all the other suggestions I could find in all of the other threads. :(

irshmerc wrote: »
    Hi, how you doing

Simple answer really, get it done properly overseas at a proper re-chromers for a proper price or get it done here differently, or even for a car that new call the dealer.

Good luck

Thank you, I called the Nissan dealer this morning, they are checking out if they can get the bumpers direct from Japan for me. May be easier at this stage.

Thanks again! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Tj plating in Mallusk Newtownabbey 04890833122
    they are in Ireland you can drive straight to them from anywhere in Ireland you dont need to get on a boat as they are in Ireland lol!
    they aint bad saw some of the work they do!

Tj plating in Mallusk Newtownabbey 04890833122
    they are in Ireland you can drive straight to them from anywhere in Ireland you dont need to get on a boat as they are in Ireland lol!
    they aint bad saw some of the work they do!

Thanks so much, I will call them on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Do they copper plate the parts before chrome plating? Worth asking.

Neilw wrote: »

Hopefully...:D....a good place will heavy copper stuff to get rid of scratches, pitting etc. during polishing...you get what you pay for..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Sorry to thread hijack but i want to dechrome a bumper and colour code ot to my car any idea whats the best way

• Advertisement

Car99 wrote: »
    Sorry to thread hijack but i want to dechrome a bumper and colour code ot to my car any idea whats the best way

Sand it good..use a powered sander.. epoxy primer and paint...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Neilw wrote: »
    yes they do copper plate!

yes they do copper plate!

Keep up...!!!:P

Advertisement