Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant Homes (www.vacanthomes.ie) and Privacy

Options
  • 14-08-2017 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

Could I start a discussion or get advice on the right to have your property photographed and uploaded to a government database without your knowledge. As well as allegations made that its vacant? I spend a lot of time away so my house might meet the criteria (long grass, no movement - serious, these are on the website).

I don't like the idea of busy bodies taking pictures of my house at all. If Google have to remove them on my request why should anyone be allowed to do this?

Should there be an opt out option on the site and is this kind of G Man snooping even legal? Surely Big Government already has info on what houses pay full property tax and those pay as vacant?

I'd appreciate opinions.

Vacanthomes.ie Invasion of Privacy 70 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 70 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In general taking a photograph of the front of a house is perfectly legal. "Alleging" that it may be empty is also perfectly legal, especially if it's just to a body whose purpose is to investigate whether it is.

The body's purpose is to contact owners of a property and assert whether it's vacant or not. If that happens to you, you can let them know that it is in fact occupied.

So there's not really any invasion of privacy there.

Contrary to popular belief, "Big Government" does not have one all-encompassing database of information, so obtaining Revenue records on paid property tax is not straightforward and may not be very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I would consider a stranger taking a photo of my home an invasion of privacy. I had the Google streetview of my home removed because it was a breach of my right to privacy and a security issue.
    Even the notion of somebody assuming the right to consider a property of mine vacant gets my goat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While there is likely get-out clauses that allow the state to do this within the various legislations, the concept of it implementing essentially a snooper's charter is touching on the Orwellian on the sliding scale of governmental over-reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had the Google streetview of my home removed because it was a breach of my right to privacy and a security issue.
    Even the notion of somebody assuming the right to consider a property of mine vacant gets my goat.

Just out of interest when you did this were any of your neigbhours house excluded as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just out of interest when you did this were any of your neigbhours house excluded as well?

It's a detached, stand alone, rural property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

I also had the street photo removed, they did leave next door, I would love to have the Google Earth shots
    removed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hupourradat

Thanks for all the replies
    seamus wrote: »
    In general taking a photograph of the front of a house is perfectly legal. "Alleging" that it may be empty is also perfectly legal, especially if it's just to a body whose purpose is to investigate whether it is.

The body's purpose is to contact owners of a property and assert whether it's vacant or not. If that happens to you, you can let them know that it is in fact occupied.

So there's not really any invasion of privacy there.

Contrary to popular belief, "Big Government" does not have one all-encompassing database of information, so obtaining Revenue records on paid property tax is not straightforward and may not be very reliable.

I think it may be a grey area though, after all someone can object to you taking their photograph. I think the gov are exploiting the "Alright if you get away with it" mentality.

I think the person who reports a property should be named.

It would be funny and a bit Irish if it is not possible or legal for the gov to obtain property records from one department (Property Tax) to another (Housing) yet they can encourage snoopers to do it and protect them with anonymity.

I have deGoogled the house too!

It just seems like one more step towards the State watching everything you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Absolutely disgraceful proposals from the Government. The vacant homes website is chilling. Who on earth is going to rat on a neighbouring homeowner, even if they don't like him, with a view to tenants moving in who might cause trouble??:confused: This website poses a direct and clear security risk and interference to property owners.

I have my suspicions as to what's really going on here. The next step will be expansion of CPOs and forcing homeowners to take the Government's preferred choice of resident into their homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hupourradat

Absolutely disgraceful proposals from the Government. The vacant homes website is chilling. Who on earth is going to rat on a neighbouring homeowner, even if they don't like him, with a view to tenants moving in who might cause trouble??:confused: This website poses a direct and clear security risk and interference to property owners.

I have my suspicions as to what's really going on here. The next step will be expansion of CPOs and forcing homeowners to take the Government's preferred choice of resident into their homes.

I recently watched a Youtube video where everyone who wasn't part of the elite were described as their cattle. Now it seems they are building a system to move us from field to field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's not as anonymous as people think. I'm sure IP addresses are captured along with geolocations (even though that's optional), network details etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think it may be a grey area though, after all someone can object to you taking their photograph.

You can object all you like but if it's a public place you've no right to privacy and can only complain about it's publication not taking.
    It's not as anonymous as people think. I'm sure IP addresses are captured along with geolocations (even though that's optional), network details etc.

No need for geo location analysis when the person posting will be giving the location of the building ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think their plan is to shift the blame on ordinary people for the housing crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think they mean recording the geo location of the informant.

Indeed I do as providing the geoloc of the house is optional.

Had a look at the Vacant Homes website just there - no identifying information as to who is running it, responsible for it or where and how information submitted is transferred or handled.

The potential for criminality and damage to one's property is limitless.

Must take a look at a domain lookup site to see who is running this Stasi-esque sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Had a look at the Vacant Homes website just there - no identifying information as to who is running it, responsible for it or where and how information submitted is transferred or handled.

Must take a look at a domain lookup site to see who is running this Stasi-esque sham.

'ol mayo county council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Thanks for all the replies

I think it may be a grey area though, after all someone can object to you taking their photograph. I think the gov are exploiting the "Alright if you get away with it" mentality.

I think the person who reports a property should be named.

It would be funny and a bit Irish if it is not possible or legal for the gov to obtain property records from one department (Property Tax) to another (Housing) yet they can encourage snoopers to do it and protect them with anonymity.

It just seems like one more step towards the State watching everything you do.

The High Court has made a decision on the privacy aspect.

http://www.courts.ie/judgments.nsf/bce24a8184816f1580256ef30048ca50/9bd14182c49347be8025713300410c9c?OpenDocument

I do not believe it has been appealed or overturned

It is registered by Mayo County Council.

• Advertisement

What is the legal basis for the collection of such information?

Ask Mayo county council and the minister for local government

They're asking for it.

On what basis is the collection of this information illegal?
    I would consider a stranger taking a photo of my home an invasion of privacy.
    What you consider to be invastion of privacy doesn't mean it is.
    I had the Google streetview of my home removed because it was a breach of my right to privacy and a security issue.
    You had it removed because Google allow you to do so in good faith. They are under no legal obligation to do so.
    I have no doubt that if the government had one big database on everyone that any government department could access with impunity, you'd be spitting feathers. Yet when they don't have such a database, you think it's ridiculous.

The collection of this information appears on the face of it to be perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Generally you don't need a "legal basis" to collect information. You need a legal basis to stop someone collecting information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

IMO this site is fine as it only gathers information and does not distribute it like Google. It is likely that it will fall foul of GDPR as it has a notes field that will most likely end up having peoples names entered. Site only has a 3 month cert so it looks like they figured it wont last long.

Legal or otherwise, if I stood outside someone's house, a house I have no connection with, and took several photographs of it (as the site requests turncoats to do) I shouldn't be surprised if someone saw fit to call the Gardai.

Legal or otherwise, if I stood outside someone's house, a house I have no connection with, and took several photographs of it (as the site requests turncoats to do) I shouldn't be surprised if someone saw fit to call the Gardai.
    Sure. And the Gardai would do nothing about it unless a law has been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

AlanG wrote: »
    IMO this site is fine as it only gathers information and does not distribute it like Google. It is likely that it will fall foul of GDPR as it has a notes field that will most likely end up having peoples names entered. Site only has a 3 month cert so it looks like they figured it wont last long.

The site was developed with the assistance of the DPC.

No names are entered unless you want to set up an account.

The site needs a renewal in February 2018, not in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Hopefully someone will record Dáil Éireann as a vacant home of democracy... given that they're all off on their jollies for the foreseeable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

AlanG wrote: »
    . Site only has a 3 month cert so it looks like they figured it wont last long.

They're using Lets Encrypt. 90 days is the longest certificate they offer, normally renews after 60/75 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They are the ones that "stand out"

Advertisement