Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi alcohol

Options
  • 13-08-2017 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi!

Total novice when it comes to distinguishing between good quality wines, champagne and Prosecco.

Hosting a party and I'm somewhat tight on the budget but I have some people to impress somewhat.

I'd like some recommendations for wines, champagne and Prosecco from Aldi for a reasonable price (preferably less than 10, although I heard there's a spectacular champagne for 20).

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Toro Loco wines, good and cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I know you specifically asked for Aldi stuff, but a mate of mine said that this rosé from Tesco was nice (only 4e!). Must preface this by stating I only drink red...s.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279881358

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Avoid the €5.50 Italian Rosso red!

This is a lovely red but it's €10 a bottle so the Toro Loco might be better value:
    https://www.aldi.ie/exquisite-hawke%27s-bay-merlot-blend/p/078632178714101

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I know you asked Aldi but not familiar with them doing a champagne, we get Lidl Commte De Senneval Premium Champagne and it's very nice, sometimes on offer for around €16 usually €25.

We had a bottle of Aldi Prosseco recently and found it very flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

elperello wrote: »
    Toro Loco wines, good and cheap.[/quote

The Toro Loco Rijoca is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is an ongoing "what do you recommend in aldi" thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057449529

it is mainly food but wine definitely comes up, so you could search the thread for "wine" or "champagne" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you want "classic" type Champagne, then their Cremant de Jura (at €12 IIRC) is a great option. They do have a good Champagne for €20.

In terms of Prosecco, they have magnums (1.5 litre bottles), which will have a bit of a fun factor due to the size. A lot of people would find Prosecco more palatable than Champagne, so unless you know you have Champagne drinkers, it might be better to choose the Prosecco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Their Baron Amarillo Rioja Reserva is far better than the Toro Loco imho

Toro loco got a bit of a name for itself about 5 years ago,but what's in the bottle today doesn't resemble anything like back then imho

The Baron Amarillo on the other hand has been fairly consistent since they first started to stock it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

limnam wrote: »
    Toro loco got a bit of a name for itself about 5 years ago,but what's in the bottle today doesn't resemble anything like back then imho

I hate it when they do that!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I'd like some recommendations for wines, champagne and Prosecco from Aldi for a reasonable price (preferably less than 10, although I heard there's a spectacular champagne for 20).

I know you asked Aldi, but the Arestel Cava Brut in Lidl is delicious! About €10 a bottle! I've heard the Exquisite Collection Gavi (white) in Aldi is good! Have yet to try it myself also!
    limnam wrote:

I had heard of the Toro Loco being good too but am not a red drinker, am currently looking at getting wines for my wedding, so I might try that Amarillo Rioja one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

limnam wrote: »

The Baron Amarillo on the other hand has been fairly consistent since they first started to stock it

This.

Also, the inlaws bought in a mountain of the Andara for their wedding. It went down very nicely and is a little cheaper than the rioja iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

for sparkling wine I love Blanquette du Limpoux €13 it's really lovely

Whites I recommend the Freeman's Bay Pinot Gris €7.99 and Sav Blanc €8.99

Toro Loco Rose and Red are good too

Advertisement