Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone able to convert Stp or Stl into Solidworks?

Options
  • 11-08-2017 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Would anyone be able to help be convert a Stp or Stl file into something which can be edited in Solidworks? When I do it myself using the Stl file, Solidworks will not let me edit the features of the unit!

Sorry but in trouble here a bit!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Hi Cat,

I have tried that but no joy. I have just learnt that the part was originally drawn using creo pro engineering which it is very difficult to directly import into solidworks for editing...

You hardly know if I could edit the drawing made in creo using autocad?

Thanks for the reply,

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

tacofries wrote: »
    Hi Cat,

I have tried that but no joy. I have just learnt that the part was originally drawn using creo pro engineering which it is very difficult to directly import into solidworks for editing...

You hardly know if I could edit the drawing made in creo using autocad?

Thanks for the reply,

Not sure if it helps but I've tried with creo to solid edge or autodesk inventor and while the parts etc will open, the features and different extrusions etc of a part merge, so to shorten a simple block for example you'd have to extrude off the end as opposed to modifying the original extrude feature. Likewise changing a hole diameter you'd need to extrude and fill hole then create new one which then gives you the adaptability to change diameter. There may be some export options when saving as step file to include geometry or something I'm not sure.

What format is the drawing, did you receive the .drw format or .dwg? If it's dwg you can modify in autocad.

JIdontknow wrote: »
    What format is the drawing, did you receive the .drw format or .dwg? If it's dwg you can modify in autocad.

Oh god that isn't good because it I am trying to do the editing myself although I am totally new to solidworks or autocad so things have to be as straight forward as possible.

The only file types that I have is Stp or Stl...

I am actually looking for someone around mayo to make the changes to the product for me (paid obviously) but finding it hard to find someone as the job is needed urgently. Any suggestions of who to go to?

I am going to call into GMIT Castlebar on Monday to see if they have any engineer that could do it but the fact that the original file was made using creo could be an issue I am guessing?

tacofries wrote: »
    Oh god that isn't good because it I am trying to do the editing myself although I am totally new to solidworks or autocad so things have to be as straight forward as possible.

The only file types that I have is Stp or Stl...

I am actually looking for someone around mayo to make the changes to the product for me (paid obviously) but finding it hard to find someone as the job is needed urgently. Any suggestions of who to go to?

I am going to call into GMIT Castlebar on Monday to see if they have any engineer that could do it but the fact that the original file was made using creo could be an issue I am guessing?

I know when importing a step file into a different 3D software the parts typically lose their individual features that make up that part and they merge into a "block", there may be ways to export from the source software that includes these individual features, I've saved step files from Creo before and opened in auto desk inventor and they'll lose their "adaptability", now maybe there's an option within the origin software to include these but I wouldn't bank on it as the sketches etc within features are constrained differently within the feature sketch, I'm open to correction though this is just my own experience. If you only have the step file and not the originals then any possible adaptability may be lost in the conversion to step file.

I wouldn't know who to go to, local college or that may be able to offer advice, but again anybody to modify this model would ideally prefer the original files if available. Is it a large assembly of parts or an individual part requiring change?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you have the stl file an option would be to actually create a Solidworks file from scratch using the stl file for dimensions only.

To be honest, and I could be wrong here, but I'm not sure how much luck you'll get in finding a program to edit the stl file.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If you have the stl file an option would be to actually create a Solidworks file from scratch using the stl file for dimensions only.

To be honest, and I could be wrong here, but I'm not sure how much luck you'll get in finding a program to edit the stl file.

Yeah I'd have to agree with the above, If you only have the step file, and there's no features etc then there's no way to do anything to get them in the current step file, best case is the original designer can export or create a new step file and try include the features (which I'm not sure is possible, I don't know). If it wasn't too complex best case could be use step file for dimensions and create a new one, that way it's adaptable for future changes if necessary and you have it in your preferred software.

Thanks for the advice guys. What software can I actually use to edit the part since it was made using Creo? Solidworks is obviously a no go now, how about Autocad or something more common than Creo?

As far as I know stp or stl files aren't made to be edited, no matter what software you have.

The FeatureWorks > Recognize Features in Solidworks is a type of reverse engineering tool to that guesses what commands were used to create the part.

Again as far as I know no matter no CAD program you have once you create the stp or stl file that's it.

If you want a part that's fully editable you need to have the same program as what the part was originally created in.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    As far as I know stp or stl files aren't made to be edited, no matter what software you have.

The FeatureWorks > Recognize Features in Solidworks is a type of reverse engineering tool to that guesses what commands were used to create the part.

Again as far as I know no matter no CAD program you have once you create the stp or stl file that's it.

If you want a part that's fully editable you need to have the same program as what the part was originally created in.

Yeah the fact you only have the step file restricts what you can do, you can edit step files but it's all manual changes, filling in holes and recreate them to what you want, extrude or cut surfaces to resize them, etc. But it's all manual changes as opposed to just changing the sketch dimensions, and these manual changes will not be automated as such so if you wanted to change it again down the line it's more work, i.e. Editing multiple extrudes that you used to resize the part. Even if you had creo, you'd still perhaps lose some of the adaptability by the fact it's a step file and not the original prt and drw files. Is it a big assembly of multiple part components or one piece part?

• Advertisement

It a one piece part. To simplify things it is basically like a plastic cutlery organiser for holding knives, spoons, forks etc.

The original files were made using Creo. If I could get my hands on the prt or drw original files could I then edit the file properly in Autocad & Solidworks or just in Creo since that is what was used to create them? Apologies for such newbie & repetitive questions but just a bit lost on this one and want to make sure that I am understanding what you are saying fully and that the next move that I make is right...

As far as I know just in Creo.

You could get the 2D files converted to AutoCAD drw and you would be able to modify them, it's been a long time since I used AutoCAD though. That modified 2D AutoCAD drw file would have no relation to any previous file and would be stand alone.

If you got the 3D Creo file it might be compatible with the free Creo Elements program you can download
    https://www.ptc.com/en/cad/elements-direct/modeling/express

One way of thinking about it is a playstation or xbox game. You can't play them on each other's platform but a stp file gives you the ability to look at the game on each other's platform.

Cool, think I have a good idea of the issues involved. Thanks a lot to both of you for the help. Really learnt that you should consider what software best suits your needs before you begin the design process as it is now obvious that it can cause problems down the line.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Hi guys stp (step) files and stl files are majorly different.

JI is correct on the step files
    A step file can be opened up in soidworks no problem, the problem is, it is a "dumb" solid meaning no features will be created.
    Solidworks does have a feature recognition which will attempt to convert the dumb solid into features giving you a feature tree.
    I couldnt count how many step files I have attempted this on. Basically I found it depends on the complexity of the part tbh, ie a plastic component with lots of bosses ribs draft etc will have difficulty coverting this into features.
    But if you were to convert injection mold plate for instance it should have no trouble recognizing features such a extrudes and holes in the plate.

A stl file stereolitography is no better than a image file. It uses a algoritm to convert 3d shapes into a series of triangles over the surface. Delauneys triangulation if you want to be bored.
    I have imported stl files but can only take the most basic measurments off them as solidworks wont recognise edges on the image.

Hope you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Looks like an interesting challenge.
    Did you get sorted OP?

No, just had to use a designer that had Creo unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BartoszP

Hi,

Do you still need it converted to SW?
    If so, can you send the step file?

Regards B.

I actually managed to get sorted by using someone that had Creo and the original files. Thanks a lot for the offer though :)

Advertisement