Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Questions Regarding Judo

• 08-08-2017 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi everyone , I am interested in learning Judo but after researching a couple of things I have a few questions.

I have read alot of complaints towards IJF and the rules they have changed regarding not being allowed to leg grab , but I was wondering do Judo schools still teach about Leg locks or any of the moves that have been banned for competition ?

also what can I expect to learn from taking up Judo ? do they teach things regarding self defence also ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭creeper1

Judo is standing and throwing using a kimono. There are some ground work techniques but definitely not leg locks which haven't been in judo maybe since the days of the founder Kano.

Searching judo highlights on YouTube will yield mainly throwing highlights with some groundwork.

I think you may be confusing judo with sambo which does allow leg locks but good luck finding a sambo class in Ireland.

Leg grabs are not allowed in international competition and most judoka will complain if you grab their legs now. Some will play under old rules if you ask them in randori. No big deal.

Leg grabs are still practiced in the kodokan (also no blue suits there) and as part of the kata.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

creeper1 wrote: »
    Judo is standing and throwing using a kimono. There are some ground work techniques but definitely not leg locks which haven't been in judo maybe since the days of the founder Kano.

Searching judo highlights on YouTube will yield mainly throwing highlights with some groundwork.

I think you may be confusing judo with sambo which does allow leg locks but good luck finding a sambo class in Ireland.

Leg grabs are not allowed in international competition and most judoka will complain if you grab their legs now. Some will play under old rules if you ask them in randori. No big deal.

Leg grabs are still practiced in the kodokan (also no blue suits there) and as part of the kata.

Thank you so much for the reply
    I am currently learning BJJ , and cant decide whether to continue onward or study Judo.
    I think the most I am concerned and confused about is it seems from what I could gather is that Judo has been watered down so much over the last few years.

I really love the look on its throws and takedowns but am concerned about its groundwork. If Judo schools taught old school things I think I would def love to try it.

Thanks again man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Thank you so much for the reply
    I am currently learning BJJ , and cant decide whether to continue onward or study Judo.
    I think the most I am concerned and confused about is it seems from what I could gather is that Judo has been watered down so much over the last few years.

I really love the look on its throws and takedowns but am concerned about its groundwork. If Judo schools taught old school things I think I would def love to try it.

Thanks again man :)

You can learn both at the same time pretty easily as they're nearly overlapping in skillsets but with focuses on different areas.

Not sure why you're concerned about judo groundwork if you already do BJJ? The main difference is the rules, which dictate a different groundwork mentality and speed of execution. In BJJ I can hold you in side-control for 5 minutes while I work a strangle or bide my time to switch positions. In Judo if I hold you in side-control for 20 seconds I win the match. So in BJJ I learn to wait for the right time when you're moving to sweep, whereas in Judo I have to learn to bridge explosively to get out in time. Different skillsets, both applicable, some more appropriate in certain situations due to ruleset.

The same principle applies to the differences in judo and BJJ standup.

I suggest going along to a judo class and feeling how watered down it is :)

Advertisement