Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mk1 Golf gti or mk2 gti as a daily.......

• 08-08-2017 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking at purchasing either a mk1 golf gti or a mk2 gti, the car will be used daily, Monday to Friday, for about 10 months, mainly just to work and back.

The round trip to work is 10 miles, so I'll be doing roughly 50 miles per week in it.

Has anyone used either as a daily? I realise the mk2 would be more comfy and possibly more reliable? I'm handy enough with a spanner so I should be able to do most of the maintainence and servicing myself.

Cheers
    Jason

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

By opting for a rugged and reliable classic like Volkswagen Golf, it's half the battle won. Generally the rule of thumb is to make sure you find a good example that has been used regularly over the last couple of years and has a solid service history to back it up. That way you can be sure money was spent on keeping the running gear "running". 
    It's a bit tricky if you go for a low mileage example that looks pristine and has been kept in the garage all the time, because as soon as you start pacing it through the ropes, a lot of the running gear will be failing on you as it would not be used to regular exercise. Note however, the mk1 and 2 golf's have running gear that will more than likely still be more or less off the shelves from the motorfactors or easily sourced online! 
    That said, a pristine sheltered car usually does give you a better starting point and would be more economical to preserve as apposed to a rough, battered car that needs work over time... 
    One very important other thing to keep in mind, if you would do this with the idea to sell the car on in 10-12 months time with a profit, or not having lost any money, that might be a bit of a disappointment. If you start clocking up the miles, cars of this vintage will suffer and deteriorate and it will affect resale value in the end if you clocked up a considerable amount of miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭pmb

I ran a Mk1 GTI as my only car in New Zealand for about a year. It was a show car too so not only did I have to contend with the lack of mod cons but also ensuring the bodywork etc was kept top notch!

I had the 1.6 (1588cc) model which I adored. It was superb little car. Having owned minis and beetles for many years I can say it was the only practical classic I ever drove.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    By opting for a rugged and reliable classic like Volkswagen Golf, it's half the battle won. Generally the rule of thumb is to make sure you find a good example that has been used regularly over the last couple of years and has a solid service history to back it up. That way you can be sure money was spent on keeping the running gear "running". 
    It's a bit tricky if you go for a low mileage example that looks pristine and has been kept in the garage all the time, because as soon as you start pacing it through the ropes, a lot of the running gear will be failing on you as it would not be used to regular exercise. Note however, the mk1 and 2 golf's have running gear that will more than likely still be more or less off the shelves from the motorfactors or easily sourced online! 
    That said, a pristine sheltered car usually does give you a better starting point and would be more economical to preserve as apposed to a rough, battered car that needs work over time... 
    One very important other thing to keep in mind, if you would do this with the idea to sell the car on in 10-12 months time with a profit, or not having lost any money, that might be a bit of a disappointment. If you start clocking up the miles, cars of this vintage will suffer and deteriorate and it will affect resale value in the end if you clocked up a considerable amount of miles.

Thanks, my plan is to drive the car daily for 10-12 months and to keep it rather than sell it on, I sold my Datsun 260z a few months ago and hardly drove that car at all and eventually lost all interest in it.

My biggest fear with these cars is rust, if I can find a rust free car with a good body I don't mind doing bits and pieces to the running gear now and again.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I have a non gti mk1 and a gti mk2. The mk2 is hands down the more suitable car to daily drive. I used mine daily while I waited on a new car.

Mk1 gti prices have shot up recently, so unless you have a decent budget for a good hop in and drive car the mk2 might be your only option.

Don't forget, these are old cars now so unless you buy one which has been completely restored you could buy into a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Totnan

Hi all - I imported a MK2 Golf GTI for weekend use which is running great and would like to keep it that way. Just worried about fueling it in Ireland with regular petrol when it should be fed with Premium 98 RON - I spent a few hours ytd looking for a Premium Pump near Newry. Has anyone had experience of refuelling with various options in Ireland or does engine need to be remapped (it has an early digifant engine management system). I've read that the addition of biofuels helps increase effective RON on regular 95 RON unleaded and Topaz have recently introduced its enhanced Miles Plus product which could help protect engine... Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

Totnan wrote: »
    Hi all - I imported a MK2 Golf GTI for weekend use which is running great and would like to keep it that way. Just worried about fueling it in Ireland with regular petrol when it should be fed with Premium 98 RON - I spent a few hours ytd looking for a Premium Pump near Newry. Has anyone had experience of refuelling with various options in Ireland or does engine need to be remapped (it has an early digifant engine management system). I've read that the addition of biofuels helps increase effective RON on regular 95 RON unleaded and Topaz have recently introduced its enhanced Miles Plus product which could help protect engine... Any advice greatly appreciated.

There's no need for 98 octane in a mk2 gti, they run fine on 95.

Texaco fuel is probably the best quality fuel available in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Pics?!

Forgot to update this thread, I ended buying a mk2 16v in the end, been using it as my daily without any problems so far.

jay28 wrote: »
    Forgot to update this thread, I ended buying a mk2 16v in the end, been using it as my daily without any problems so far.

Post a few pics, is it an early or late 16v?

I have a 2 litre 16v myself.

• Advertisement

It's a small bumper, 1989. Pretty original except for wheels and coilovers.

36862093300_a0eeeef7ec_k.jpgMk2 GTI 16v by Jason doyle, on Flickr

37265796505_52f10f42dd_k.jpg2017-09-16_07-57-00 by Jason doyle, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Borrowed time

Drove a 89 five door GTI 8v for about 3 years daily.Loved it.Was short a few quid and insurance and tax was crazy so I gave up driving it.Apart from my Rover mini Cooper it was the best car I owned.Would love an 8 valve again.

It's a small bumper, 1989. Pretty original except for wheels and coilovers.

Ah I know that car. Here it is when the previous owner had it, mine is the big bumper car nearest.

Neilw wrote: »
    Ah I know that car. Here it is when the previous owner had it, mine is the big bumper car nearest.

Very nice, I think the previous owner has big bumpers on it at some stage?

Very nice, I think the previous owner has big bumpers on it at some stage?

He did,and swapped back to small bumpers to keep the car looking original.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Totnan

Neilw wrote: »
    There's no need for 98 octane in a mk2 gti, they run fine on 95.

Thanks, I refulled with Maxol and engine's running more smoothly now idiling around 900RPM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks, I refulled with Maxol and engine's running more smoothly now idiling around 900RPM
    Just a small hijack here...

Can fuel make that difference? I ask because my 924 is experiencing idling issues, and the only thing I did of note ahead of this was filling the tank for the first time with Tesco (Dundrum) fuel. :confused:

Hmmm. I suppose I'm better off if that's the only problem, but FFS Tesco!

Have adjusted my idle to see if I can ride it out.

Might pick one up tomorrow. I haven't used that stuff before. #shame

Advertisement