Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good wine for gift

Options
  • 03-08-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

hi,
    what is a good wine to buy for someone who i know likes wine but i have no idea if its red or white or from which country?

is there a "safe" option? i have no clue whatsoever about wines!!

maybe just a matter of closing my eyes and pointing at the wine shelf :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

if going blind ask an expert in a good offie..if you pick off a supermarket shelf it could be dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some on this recent thread... look for Recommend a Wine if the link below doesnt work.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057765394/1/#post104136210

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Try to find a way to get some information on what they like

bring that info to a good wine shop or pop back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Definitely don't close your eyes and point at the shelf :)

In terms of red, something like a good Rioja Reserva is always a safe bet. It's a well known wine and decent quality. For something that has a talking point, you could try Jacob's Creek barrel-aged wine. It's a higher quality wine from Jacobs Creek that has spent some time aging in whiskey barrels from Irish Distillers (Middleton). I tasted it at the press launch and the end result is a little richer than usual and good vale sub €20.

In terms of white, a classic Pouilly Fume (Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc) will play nicely in the middle of the road.

In fact, the usual mass market producers are making some really good premium wines these days, and a lot of people like the comfort that the brand label brings. For instance, Torres have a great Ribeira del Duero called Celeste while Cono Sur Single Estate or 20 Barrels wines are good too.

If you can get any indication at all of what this person likes, and we can give you some more ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

super, thanks guys!!!

i will defintely take this information on board next time..
    but i hope i wont be disowned after my next admission....
    i kind of picked the label i liked the look of..

im sorrrrry!!!! but thank you all for the info and it will definitely be my point of contact next time!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement